Can't open Asset X!

DanieltheEngine

It worked on my old hard drive, but after I installed it on my new hard drive, it wouldn't open.
it just gives me this error message.
"Exception EReadError in module AssetX.exe at 00027D87. Error reading RichEdit1.Lines.Strings: RichEdit line insertion error."

Please fix this!

The error suggests that its trying to read some data on startup. One thing I know it reads is the assetx.ini (text file) that should be located in the same folder as assetx.exe. AssetX also relies on some scripts located in the scripts folder but I don't think it loads those unless asked for by the user.

Shouldn't need to do anything other than maybe run the installer as administrator on Windows newer than Win7.

Did you reinstall the application, or did you copy over the old install from your old hard drive?

.. just a beginners thought i experienced : .. did you : assetx / options / paths & files = add home folder (H1, H2 ..) ? ..

If you reinstalled from scratch then the assetx.ini file should be fine although with default values. We know AssetX runs on Win10 and 11. As Clam mentioned AssetX can have issues with user rights but it seems you are well past that stage.

The problem still looks like a Windows read error on some file. RichEdit.Lines.Strings: is probably a library function that manipulates strings (series of text characters). Read errors can be caused by damaged source files, corrupted data, memory issues, locked files, and probably several more.

I use AssetX every day and have never seen this error.

PEV could probably help but is rarely here these days. Best I can suggest, without more info, is to download the installer again from ShaneTurner's website and start over. If you have a locked file then a Windows reboot will fix that.

I did reinstall it from ShaneTurner's website but it still wouldn't open.
Is there anyway to contact PEV?

Peter is no longer supporting the application and has retired from Trainz.

Try running as administrator. AssetX is an older application.

Right-click and choose run as administrator. If that works, then you can set that up in the compatibility settings tab.

Could be missing runtimes.

So had a look at AssetX and it's dlls, initially using dependency walker, that doesn't work any longer however found a modern equivalent on github, Dependencies, here if anyone wants it https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/releases.

AssetX.exe depends on bass.dll, which depends on msvcrt.dll which is the C standard library for the Visual C++ (MSVC) compiler, so I'm guessing you have a set of visual C++ Runtimes missing, common problem on a new install that older ones are missing.

I would suggest installing them all from 2005 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=redistributable+package, or easier you can do them all at once from TechPowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

That's the first thing I install on a reinstalled or new OS or PC. The package includes a bat file which installs all the Visual C++ Runtimes in one go, painless should skip those you already have.

Could be missing runtimes.

Wouldn't that throw an error stating something like that? It's been a long time since I did any coding with DLLs but an application picking up the wrong library caused issues like this.

I'd probably try another of PEV's tools that may use RichEdit and that might be Mesh Text Viewer. If it shows the same error then the problem is probably not in AssetX itself.

There are two files in c:\windows\system32.

riched20.dll
riched32.dll

You may have a different version on your old disk compared to latest Win10.

I've never had a problem like this since AssetX was born, but there have been numerous iterations of Windows since, and hence these two dll files have multiple versions.

However, I've not copied AssetX from Shane's website since PEV did some minor changes after he was given permission from Andi Smith's estate to act as guardian.

I have always copy/pasted the complete AssetX from my previous instal to the new one and ensuring it works with Trainz.

Currently that is the latest iteration of WIN 10 along with Trainz TRS22 core as well as AssetX, PEVTOOLS,TARDIS and Netpad++ on c:\drive (2TB NVME) of a new AMD MiniPC, coupled via a USB Type C gen2 to an external 10 TB hard drive containing TrainUserdata.

These RichEdit dlls would have been used I think to set up things like fonts etc as per the AssetX\Option\Preferences.

Considering what these dll files do you might like to check AssetX.INI [Position] :

[Position]

Restore=1
Top=6
Left=47
Width=1241
Height=740
AssetWidth=297
AssetHeight=250
OutlineHeight=241
MaxMode=0

When I had multiple monitors I had AssetX on a second monitor. Using the same setup on a single monitor, AssetX was off-screen.

Ian

Last edited:
Wouldn't that throw an error stating something like that? It's been a long time since I did any coding with DLLs but an application picking up the wrong library caused issues like this.

I'd probably try another of PEV's tools that may use RichEdit and that might be Mesh Text Viewer. If it shows the same error then the problem is probably not in AssetX itself.

There is a pevtxt.dll in the bin folder, nothing appears to link to it though.

I'm wondering actually if running sfc /scannow might sort out any system error that might be causing it? especially if there is an issue with the riched dlls

Mesh text display is done in pevtxt.dll so it is required for AssetX to work correctly.

Except for NotePad.exe, Andi and I did not use any other external edit.

However, if you have RichEdit set as default editor for any trainz files it will be called by our SHELL command in AssetX. Solution should be to change default editor for the file types that don't work.

Back