Trainz Future Graphics?

Disclaimer: I am no expert on game design or game engines.

Your post prompted some memories of past posts in these forums extolling the virtues of Unreal Engine (earlier versions) and why it would or would not be suitable for Trainz. Since this is a new version, I thought that there would be no point in bringing up those past posts and old reviews. So I dived head-first into the Web to look at other, non-Trainz based. opinions.

The reviews I read are full of praise for the quality, speed and versatility of games created using Unreal Engine 5. But they also mention its downsides. Specifically:-

• the enormous quantity of additional coding that is needed to tailor it for specific purposes (such as a Railroad Simulator) - this is already built into the Trainz Engine.
  • the lack of multiplayer support (Epic Games have been very quiet on this point) - Trainz already has multiplayer.
  • the difficulties of adding characteristics or "attributes" to individual objects - built into the Trainz Engine
  • the royalties that have to be paid on all sales - since N3V own their game engine this does not apply.

Just a few points I gleaned from a short list of review sites.

From what I have read the current Trainz Game Engine has as yet to still reach its full potential - as we can see over the past few years the team keep working on in-game improvements. Keep up the good work and enjoy your Christmas New Year break.

Perhaps N3V could continue The Game aspects and increase focus on The TRAIN aspects. If it just deteriorates into a visual experience, appealing to visceral appetites of the customers who enjoy the gaming appeal, then the balance of Game/Simulator will tip and spill off the people who keep this program "on track". Personally, when artists create many of today's elements, the visual experience is very satisfying. Perhaps N3V could spin-off a gaming version focusing on death as many of the games I see advertised seem to do. Of course, they would need to add in "experiences of the flesh", which also seems to be a significant element of games.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "game aspects" and "TRAIN aspects". I will assume by "game aspects" you mean the "visuals" - such as higher visual definition, more realistic textures (e.g. PBR - even with all its problems), better smoke, collision detection (e.g. between smoke and tunnels), etc. These and other visuals are the things that users have been demanding for years (and are still waiting for some of them). I would agree with you over the achievement points and rating stars - I never could understand them.

As for the "train aspects". I don't consider myself a train "enthusiast" - I could not tell you the difference between a train brake and a dynamic brake, or a GP7 and a GP40 (not a clue!), and I really don't care if the cab interior is correct or not (sorry!). I certainly don't spend my time counting the rivets on a steam loco boiler (it would send me to sleep). Also I am not really into AI operations but I appreciate that some users are.

But I do like my visuals when I am driving around a layout. I suspect that the majority of Trainz users would be the same or similar, and that is the market that N3V must consider first and foremost. I would not like the idea of splitting Trainz into a "simulator" and a "game" - each would get a reduced share of the market to the point that one of them, or possibly both, would become uneconomical.

My opinions.

Last edited:
I still wonder if the key is not somewhere in the settings. I see screenshots posted that look like photographs, but I have never been able to replicate that either in T:ANE or TS2019, no matter what settings I pick. There seems to be some arcane knowledge out there that a few people have, but N3V itself doesn't know or reveal.

I still wonder if the key is not somewhere in the settings. I see screenshots posted that look like photographs, but I have never been able to replicate that either in T:ANE or TS2019, no matter what settings I pick. There seems to be some arcane knowledge out there that a few people have, but N3V itself doesn't know or reveal.

The game looks its best at certain times of day and with certain elements maxed out and certain ones turned down or off - though it all depends on the route and the asset quality..

The biggest issue I see is that before any gfx improvements are made they optimize the current engine more or streamline some sort of rule for how the engine and assets use LODs - some of them are bizarre even when on the horizon.

RE: Screenshot that look like photographs... Perhaps some screenshots you see are also manipulated in photo editing software...

Interesting but.....
Good graphics or a good graphics engine does not equal good gameplay or simulation that's up to the game or simulators coding. Wonder where this sort of tech leaves Raytracing? Back on the shelf?
If in the unlikely event N3V went for Unreal 5, you can say goodbye to any backwards compatibility and probably user created routes for which you would need to use UE5.
Basically it looks to me like a pretty good CGI tool and probably more likely to be used by Indi movie makers and such.

Basically it looks to me like a pretty good CGI tool and probably more likely to be used by Indi movie makers and such.

The video "trailer" link in the OP has a series of scenes that look like they are straight out of the latest Maxtrix movie, or at least a game based on the movie. So there is probably some truth, or hope on the part of the developers, in that. I haven't seen the movie to confirm.

As one poster here commented, the Trainz game engine probably still has a way to go before it reaches its full potential. And why would you want to switch to a new system that would, according to the reviews I have read, need a huge programming effort just to give it the same operational capabilities that we currently have in Trainz?

Back