stupid session question

gt350

Just upgraded? to Trainz Plus. Is there anyway to restore to the start of your original session? If I run driver and edit some object it saves it at what ever point the session is at. I like to start my session at the beginning not at some random point in the session. What am I missing?
Thanks

No there isn't!

You can restart commands to the beginning, but you can't return the trains back to the beginning.

I've put something in the suggestion boxcar forum about that issue ages ago and I'm going to bump that thread because this is really important, I think. That is if I didn't put the thread elsewhere and if I did, I'll create one in the boxcar forum.

My solution is to make a backup of the route and session prior to editing and ensure when I saved to only save the route if I made route changes while driving. This works fine unless you forget, which I do often. Since the changes were done to the route, the restored session will now be in sync with the changes. (hopefully).

Thanks I will give it a try. If this continue to be a problem I will bail out of plus.

This a headache for session creators like myself. I develop a session in SP1 that does not have UDS. I don't know what the developers were thinking with UDS. You might get away with just saving to the route, but what about items that you want in a session layer while editing?

I don't know what the developers were thinking with UDS. You might get away with just saving to the route, but what about items that you want in a session layer while editing?

The UDS is, in my opinion, one of the best new features in Trainz, and for years it has been a much demanded feature. It is a powerful Route/Session development tool that, like all powerful tools, requires some common sense and discipline to use correctly and safely.

There is an extensive Trainz Wiki guide on using the UDS at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface along with advice on how to safely save changes to the Session.

Sessions should have a rule to give cars an anchor, so they snap back whenever the session is put into Surveyor.

Sessions should have a rule to give cars an anchor, so they snap back whenever the session is put into Surveyor.

Not a good idea. One of the ways I use the UDS is to progressively run through a Session in stages. Such a rule would make that impossible if everytime I switched to Surveyor the consist I was driving snapped back to its starting position. In any case Session Rules only work during a Driver Session, not when you exit.

There is no need for such a rule anyway. When I save my first progressive Session I always select the Save a New Session option and use that Session for saving from there on. That way my original Session is not destroyed or replaced.

Last edited:
To try and add more clarity:
1. Create a session with the all the cars where you want them (just like you used to do)
2. Save the session and add a suffix like "Original" or "Start" so you know this is the session you do not want to edit.
3. If you then switch to Driver and move the cars, then use Save > Create new session
4. If you exit, you now have a choice of using the original session or the in progress one
5. If you switch back to Surveyor while driving, just ensure you change back to the route layer to make any edits (e.g. if you find a tree too close to the tracks)
6. You can then use Save > Do not save new session, or Save > Create new session. If you use Overwrite Session then obviously you will lose your original starting locations.

The UDS is, in my opinion, one of the best new features in Trainz, and for years it has been a much demanded feature. It is a powerful Route/Session development tool that, like all powerful tools, requires some common sense and discipline to use correctly and safely.

There is an extensive Trainz Wiki guide on using the UDS at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface along with advice on how to safely save changes to the Session.

pware,you seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with most everything I post. I can assure you, however, that using UDS does not fit into my session development regimen. If I am in UDS and save the session, then the new session has the trains in new places. If I don't save the session, then the new edits I have made with objects in one of the session layers are not saved. So if I am developing a session for eventual uploading, which I do, then nether session while in Surveyor is what I want. I will be delighted to have you provide what I am missing.

I feel I have my share of common sense, thank you.

Last edited:
pware,you seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with most everything I post.

May I assure you that I have not singled you out, nor was I even aware of any previous "disagreeing posts" in response to any of your previous posts. I rarely take any notice of the posters username when I type a response to a question or a point of view. I do, however, look at the timeline. But my apologies if I have offended.

I can assure you, however, that using UDS does not fit into my session development regimen.

That is fine. Each of us has our own way of working.

If I am in UDS and save the session, then the new session has the trains in new places. If I don't save the session, then the new edits I have made with objects in one of the session layers are not saved.

It would depend on what you have in the Session layers that needs editing. Normally, the only things I place in Session layers are consists.

On occasion I do have scenery objects that I only want to appear in the particular Session undergoing testing/development so they are in their own Session layer. If I need to edit those items during the testing process then I will temporarily move that layer from the Session Layer Group to the Route Layer Group in the original Session before testing. When all has been completed to my satisfaction, I will move the layer back to the Session Layer Group in the original Session. If I am working with industry settings for objects that are in the Route but have their properties saved in the Session Data, then I set those parameters in the original Session before I start testing.

If the edit involves changing any Session Rules (e.g. driver commands, new drivers, new consists, etc) then I make sure that I reset the relevant Session Rules, or all the Session Rules, in the Session Editor before I switch back to Driver.

So if I am developing a session for eventual uploading, which I do, then nether session while in Surveyor is what I want.

I have used the above techniques to develop sessions that can be uploaded without any difficulty. But each of us has our own way or working.

I feel I have my share of common sense, thank you.

I am sure that you do. My "common sense" remark was not intended as a "put down" to you (or anyone else) but as a general statement on using any new tool.

Regards.

The UDS shines for editing Routes. Confusion reigns for Sessions. For many of us, it is a solution looking for a problem. With fast processors and storage, switching from Driver to Surveyor takes only a few seconds at most. Doing so guarantees you are changing what you want to in the original session.

Folks,

As always, this forum is a plethora of information to be amassed in my Pea Brain!

Thank you for excellent overview on Using. Implementation etc of UDS sys.... Another reason I liked upgrading to Platinum Edition of Trainz!

I would say I am very guilty of doing a quick save and not paying attention to what it says and it hits default when I wanted to say something more descriptive so it really is important what you put down when you save a session or even a route.

Back