What in God's name have they done with the " Edit Trains " tool ?

:(I guess " you can't fix stupid " and I think I just did another stupid thing!

I was lured in by the E-mail I got that said that Gold members could get Trainz 2022 and keep it forever and I went and bought a Gold membership.

Then I go to play a session in Trainz 2019 and first thing I thought I noticed was the build number looked strange. Now, I have been careful and have been rejecting the update to SP3 because I didn't think my build was broke and I was afraid to fix it but it seems that my game has been automatically changed because I no longer have the " Edit Trains " tool in the tools menue.

A while back I posted about how I thought the " Edit Trains " tool was such a major improvement because one could fix many in game problems on the fly like draging a train out of a cornfield meet and I use it on a tank car that the AI likes to fill with crude oil that I like to reserve for diesel and I usually edit out the crude on a few cars so that they don't get loaded with crude.

Now, on the " Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Launcher " window it says "Trainz + " and the build is 111951.

I did not try to download Trainz 2022, I thought I would deal with that later.

It seems that " Edit Trains " has been replaced with " Suveyor Mode " and when I click on that I get a dire warning about how I can screw-up my whole route and session if I proceed and all I want to do is edit a tank car or move a train out of my way!

I like Trainz and I thought that I could at this time afford to support the company by donating the $125.00 / year and this is what I get - " no good deed goes unpunished"!

Thanks a lot guys!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
No panic dear trainzer,

you did well donate like I did too.
If we only complain the whole trainz thing will not go forward and survive that is the message.
Yes the surveyor mode trainz+ is a good thing but has a learning curve not steep but long and with lots of very very good things youl will agree once you have go thru it.
While you almost I guessw already on the new world site of trainz you better go and download all you need.
REMEMBER that the very good thing is when using S10 or S2.0 that you have the classic surveyor mode and the S2.0 so you can switch instantly(quasi a few seconds) back to your truseted way of edit trainz!
Try iot and let me know you will see it is not that scary.
Put your feet in the cold water and see it is not that cold after all.
Enjoy

Roy

Last edited:
Actually, you've got the best version out there.

The UDS interface gives you one of the things we've asked for over a decade ago. With UDS, you can be in driving and find something amiss, jump back into Surveyor and fix the problem, save the route only, then go back to Driver and continue on the way. This works the opposite too and allows you to test setups of signals, grade crossings, stations and other things that require you to jump into Driver. In the olden days, it meant saving, going to Driver to test using a junk session, then returning because the old Quick Drive didn't run scripts and certain assets need to run in a full session in order to be tested.

You also get every piece of DLC available, the ability to try out new versions before they are implemented, and even new versions such as TRS22 which isn't coming out until next year. With TRS22, this is your chance to not only try the new Surveyor 2.0, but also put in your feedback, test, and get things right before it gets released.

I did not try to download Trainz 2022, I thought I would deal with that later.

May I firstly add my congratulations on your arrival in the newer and better world of Trainz Plus.

There was no download involved in getting the new Trainz Plus version as it was already built into but "hidden" in your copy of TRS19 (amazing!!).

Regarding "dealing with TRS22 later", as a Trainz Plus member you will automatically get TRS22 in the next automatic update of Trainz Plus. Your build number will change again and the startup logo Trainz+ will remain but you will have the fully fledged, no holds barred, TRS22 installed on your system (with Surveyor 2.0 included), for as long as you maintain the subscription.

If you decide to drop the subscription you will automatically go back to TRS19 (with Surveyor 1.0). Again no download of the original TRS19 will be needed as it will still be present in your copy of Trainz Plus/TRS22.

Folks, you're all missing the point of the OP: What replaces "Edit Trains," and how do you use it?

The answer was "hinted to" in the second post, but not explicitly mentioned. Edit Trains is replaced by the much more powerful UDS (Unified Driver Surveyor) interface. But as is always the case, greater power brings with it the need for greater care and responsibility (from a quote I read somewhere). The link given in that post, repeated below, explains how you use it.

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface

Last edited:
The replacement in Unified Driver/Surveyor is to use edit in Surveyor and F7 Trains tab. Don't worry about the message, it's just telling you that if you go into edit mode, you can make changes to everything, not just trains. Should be a check box to not show it again.

you can make changes to everything, not just trains

You can edit trains after switching from Driver to Surveyor. To quote from the supplied link:-

You can add additional trains and replace existing ones when in Surveyor mode but it is advised that:-
  1. the Paused option be set ON (the default condition) in Surveyor mode, and
  2. you may have to reset the Driver Setup Rule in the Session Editor particularly if you have added/edited driver commands to the new or altered consist

Folks, you're all missing the point of the OP: What replaces "Edit Trains," and how do you use it?

:B~\

Some responsibility lies with the OP. I providing a link as a starting point. That should have started a whole new adventure in learning... The OP needs to learn about the whole UDS system, not just "edit trains."

First of all, thanks for all the great replies.

To 1611mac: I followed that link about UDS and it was spot-on helpfull. As to subscribing to + , I only knew that I was paying for a " Gold Membership " and I assumed that if and when I wanted the extra perks, that I would have to go and request them.
In fact, here is a quote from an E-mail I got thanking me for buying the Gold Membership:

"DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLATION:

If your membership includes Trainz Plus, download this from MyTrainz .(Note, your membership details and links will be updated within a few minutes). For download and installation help click here.

To update your Trainz Plus build, ensure you select the "Trainz Plus" update stream."

Now, isn't this the opposite of what happened to me??

To Roy'sTrainz: Thanks for the encouragement:

"Put your feet in the cold water and see it is not that cold after all."

As it turned out, a couple hours ago, I made a mistake and wrecked my favorite engine in driver mode. I decided to bite the bullet and I entered surveyor mode. Looking around, I saw that the window was simular to what I remember of surveyor where over on the right there was a verticle tool bar and the bottom tool was an " Edit Trains " tool. I opened it up selected my engine and then I Xed out the wrecked engine and placed a new one in front of the tender. Then I switched back to driver mode without saving and then continued the switching opperation I had been doing. I wonder what will happen when I save my driver game???

It's not too bad but the old " Edit Trains " tool seems like a slightly more stream lined way of fixing accidents that happen in driver mode. As for the tank car I mentioned, I went to " Content Manager " and I tried to edit the config file to delete all commodities except the diesel fuel that I wanted. I have not seen the AI consist with that tanker enter the route yet to see if it solved my problem.

To JCitron: I'm sure I will be using it as you discribe. I have already made many changes to a clone of my favorite route. A major one was to go through the whole route and reduce the speed limit to 50mph from 70mph. I found that the AI could negotiate the route at 70mph without derailing but my driver consists could not do that. It is another situation where AI cheats and I wanted to level the playing field. I just wonder if I can drive and make changes to the route without changing the start of my session???

To pware: I appreciate your warm greeting but look at this quote from the original E-mail that I got encouraging me to pre order:

"Enjoy all the membership benefits for a year, then
keep TRS22 forever!"

I mainly mention this in case someone else wants to jump on this offer if it is still valid.

Thanks again everyone

Wild Willythe Wacko

To JCitron: I'm sure I will be using it as you discribe. I have already made many changes to a clone of my favorite route. A major one was to go through the whole route and reduce the speed limit to 50mph from 70mph. I found that the AI could negotiate the route at 70mph without derailing but my driver consists could not do that. It is another situation where AI cheats and I wanted to level the playing field. I just wonder if I can drive and make changes to the route without changing the start of my session???

A level playing field and AI is like playing football against the pros. :)

Unfortunately, you can't reset the drivers back to starting position. We've asked for that feature, but nothing has been heard on that. We can reset the driver commands though, while a good thing it doesn't help if the drivers are stuck all over the place.

Be careful when saving and keep a backup of your route and session as it is, just in case things get totally wacked you can always go back. I learned this the hard way and I have a just in case backup I can put back in. I did make the changes in that version without the AI driving all over the place so now that's my new "base save" in case I go on from there.

To 1611mac: I followed that link about UDS and it was spot-on helpfull. As to subscribing to + , I only knew that I was paying for a " Gold Membership " and I assumed that if and when I wanted the extra perks, that I would have to go and request them.
In fact, here is a quote from an E-mail I got thanking me for buying the Gold Membership:

"DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLATION:

If your membership includes Trainz Plus, download this from MyTrainz .(Note, your membership details and links will be updated within a few minutes). For download and installation help click here.

To update your Trainz Plus build, ensure you select the "Trainz Plus" update stream."

Now, isn't this the opposite of what happened to me??

Wild Willythe Wacko

Hello Wild Willy the Wacko... I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to explain but I can assure you... My only point was that in todays Trainz environment you need to keep up with things and know what you are getting into (buying/upgrading). Things are changing quickly. 19 Standard, 19 Platinum, Gold, Plus, beta stream, UDS, S20, etc etc. The customer should investigate and understand what they are getting and what the changes for them will be.

I truly hope you enjoy Gold and Plus. Remember that TRS22 is "beta." You should also have a "stable" install of TRS19 for your "normal" route building and such. TRS22 (and the last two or so beta's of '19) are version 5, not 4.x as is TRS19.

A small and somewhat insignificant answer!

"To JCitron: I'm sure I will be using it as you discribe. I have already made many changes to a clone of my favorite route. A major one was to go through the whole route and reduce the speed limit to 50mph from 70mph. I found that the AI could negotiate the route at 70mph without derailing but my driver consists could not do that. It is another situation where AI cheats and I wanted to level the playing field. I just wonder if I can drive and make changes to the route without changing the start of my session???"

I just wonder if I can drive and make changes to the route without changing the start of my session???

When I finally decided to save my " Driver Mode " progress in my " open-ended " session, I got a popup message that I was saving a " new session " and that was placed on the left side of the list of saves somewhat like the game does when you jump into a new month.

It's not a big concern to me because it's just another " Driver Mode " progress save to me but I guess every time I have to make a minor adjustment using Surveyor it will do the same and instead of looking to the right end of the list for my most recent save I have to remember to look at the date and time to get the most recent one to re-start and drive the next day.

Wild Willy the Wacko

Wow, it's good to hear from you, Phil!

Hi Willy --

Back to your original question, does this help:

Or have N3V changed the process yet again?

Phil

I never knew what Driver v2 was but assumed that it must be an abreivated game that one could only drive.

What I see in your vid looks like what I think I see in my 2019 Trainz + build 111951. Where you clicked on the drop down menue to bring up Surveyor I believe was where the " Edit Trains " tool used to be but maybe not exactly the same order.

I have used the new method of accessing Surveyor and then making corrections and then going back to " Driver Mode ". The problem I see is that the default when I choose to save is " over write session " and at least the first time, I don't want to do that, I assume that it will mess up my original session that I worked to improve on for many months of and on. They at least could have made the default something other than destroying ones progress. I'm afraid that a knee-jerk reaction is going to do that some day.

I'm going to look and see, I know I have back-ups but maybe not too recent. I think the last things I did was add coaling towers and water tanks to refuel my steam engines since I play open-ended sessions and I need to re-fuel often and I rather do it the old fashion way and as a matter of fact, I think I noticed that " Instant Load Locos " is now missing from my list of driver commands.

Have a good one!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Back