Reinstalling Trainz2019 for a fresh start

easywolf32

Man, lol, on my 3rd reinstall since getrting Trainz2019 2 weeks ago, this is a learning process but I think I'm getting there. :hehe:

Quick question, after installing Trainz 2019 on Steam, when reinstalling the remaining DLC from the content store/purchased section, is there a certain way to carefully install all the DLC? Should I download them one by one? Should I start with North America - Canadian Rockies, than JR Rolling Stock pack, the 2 euro ones than the 2 UK ones?

I also bought a ton of DLC off Steam, I should do those next correct? Followed by any locos/rolling stock I bought.

I'm reinstalling because on the last initial install I went in like a madman and was downloading 20 at the same time lol and almost half of them finished with an view error message. When i pressed the fix error I believe it just switched over to completed.

Afterwards, I tried installing some freeware from the Jointed Rails website and download station and almost everything had a weird missing dependency in it. Same with UMR2021. So yup, I just nuked the whole game, deleted every folder, caches, temp files to be safe...If anyone has some good advice throw it at me please, thanks.

Also, is there a moderator or admin in here that can remove the captcha stuff for every post I write? Crazy annoying. :confused:

Download a few at a time, otherwise, as you found out the system will lock up. I found out the hard way as well. There is no particular order. I just put them in starting at a the top and go down the list from there. Install your content you got on Steam the same way, only a few at a time. There is no particular order here either.

Put in any CDPs last and open up the open-for-edit filter (view). Drag in a CDP or two and install it until all your content is installed. Once installed, highlight any assets that appear in the list and revert to original.

Once all is installed, change to missing dependencies, highlight and download dependencies as needed. There's going to be an exception, however regarding Jointed Rail freeware...

For trains and scenery items, make sure you grab all the dependencies on their website. Jointed Rail is really great about ensuring everything is together. You may also need to download some things from the DLS as required.

For their routes, this is a different story. Many of the routes are provided for free, however, they will be missing dependencies. The reason is you pay for the additional content, most of it is custom assets for the route such as custom-painted locomotives, industries created specifically for the route, and so on.

Contact the helpdesk Trainz Support - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software (trainzportal.com) to setup your account properly. Something weird sometimes happens that causes that.

If you have your content installed on a regular hard disk, I highly recommend defragmenting the drive after everything is installed. This will really help with the performance.

Great thanks! So when uploading a CDP file it's best to drag it inside an open for edit filtered page in the content manager? Cool. I had one that really killed me, a church building, I would open it, fix it, than it would just say missing dependency again.

I think I'm going to go easy with those. Also it's possible I may have downloaded some routes from the download station here that were for TANE or Trainz2012 even.

I was trying to gather as many freight routes and sessions as possible and than just play in peace :)

Maybe I'll just get all the dlc ones from Steam this time and one more like UMR2021.

Last edited:
I've noticed two things:

When I install Niddertalbahn 2019 I always get a Fix Error in the end. Than I look in the updates section and I see Niddertalbahn TANE and simc:sc485 in there. I noticed here https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:In-game_Downloading#Complete_DLC_Listing there's an sc485 called SC485 - Niddertalbahn (TRS19 Builtin).

Do I just update the simc:sc485 file or Niddertalbahn TANE also? Annoying...for newbs.

PS> I downloaded the simc:sc485 file and the button next to Niddertalbahn 2019 file in the content store changed to update. Should I click on update?

Could all this be happening for Niddertalbahn 2019 ever since I pressed on that 1 month free trial offer? No way right?

Also when I download the JR Rolling Stock Pack (TRS19) I went in the store on the portal website and it says CN GP9 Phase I & II (2 Pack) (regular + zebra) are included inside that pack. On my last install I had downloaded both than kept getting damn missing dependencies and all kinds of weird bugs concerning the CN GP I & II. Someone should go in there and mention on the 2 pack dlc that it's included in the JR Rolling Stock to avoid these headaches! This is through the Content store.

Is it possible to download the same files twice or which one is the latest version or are they the same?

Last edited:
Great thanks! So when uploading a CDP file it's best to drag it inside an open for edit filtered page in the content manager? Cool. I had one that really killed me, a church building, I would open it, fix it, than it would just say missing dependency again.

I think I'm going to go easy with those. Also it's possible I may have downloaded some routes from the download station here that were for TANE or Trainz2012 even.

I was trying to gather as many freight routes and sessions as possible and than just play in peace :)

Maybe I'll just get all the dlc ones from Steam this time and one more like UMR2021.

It's just easier doing it that way unless you want to use File menu ----) Import CDP, browse to the folder to find the asset, then import it.

Downloading a route for TANE is no problem since it's an older version of Trainz. The really old ones have some issues when imported, but there are ways around that, but generally they can be imported. Anything that's Build 5.0 is a no, no as you found out. I don't think you can import the newer versions, but you can tell if the routes are for TRS19 SP5 (beta), or TRS22 because they would be build 5.0. If you have any of those, you can highlight, right-click and delete.

The other issue with missing dependencies you've been running into is possibly due to the DLC you don't have being used as dependencies on the routes you installed. This happens because it's difficult to tell if an asset is built-on or belongs to DLC. Generally, you can download the missing assets if you don't have that installed by viewing missing dependencies on the route. Then right-clicking and choosing view dependencies. This will open up a new window that will display all the dependencies. Click on status to sort the assets by whether they're installed or not, and then you can right-click and choose download previous version, which should download the missing asset. This doesn't always work, but it does most of the time.

The thing is with the routes you downloaded, unless they are DLC, you can edit them and change them however you wish. If you're missing something, such as a building, you can replace that with something else. Trees, well who cares. Track and bridges, and other infrastructure are a bit more difficult, but they too can be downloaded and replaced. Once you've replaced all you want to or can replace, you can then run Delete Missing Assets and clean up everything from the route. When you save the route, it'll create a new version in your ID, so now it's your route. The sessions can be edited the same, but it's a bit tricky to associate them with the routes. That requires editing the config.txt file for the session to match it to the route. The process is easy, but an annoying step just the same.

Anyway, we can get there when you're ready.

In the future, I recommend that you post any missing assets you have in the missing assets thread. This will ensure others pick up on them and then point you in the right direction so that you don't spin your wheels.

There's one more thing... There's no need to delete and reinstall Trainz if you have missing dependencies. I should've mentioned this before. All you need to do is delete those the routes unless you want to edit the routes and sessions. This is done in Content Manager. Highlight the asset, either right-click and choose delete or highlight and press CTRL+ Delete key at the same time.

I run a lot of freight routes myself. My favorite is to let the AI do the long-distance driving while I switch the yards and make up the trains. I'll grab and AI driver and direct the driver to pull into the incoming track while I switch the cars out. I'll sometimes direct the driver to drive to an engine terminal. When all is done, I'll direct the driver to connect back up to the freight and continue on the journey. This activity alone can take hours to play out. Sometimes, I'll take the drivers into the yard, switch out cars and then go off and run the local freight. This can be pretty busy and hectic as I try to stay out of the way of the mainline and get my switching done.

Last edited:
easywolf32... Consider slowing down.

What are you going to do with all those routes at once? There are advantages to moving slowly. Download one route in morning and one in evening. That way you can look at timestamp for "date installed" and see what route was installed when and when you have an issue it's easier to trace it back to the install of a particular route and a particular asset. Surely you can't "play" more than a route or two a day?

There's so much to learn. Surveyor (make your own routes), Session Creation, Creating AI activity on a route. And then there's the "boring" BUT NEEDFUL task of learning about how to handle things in Content Manager to fix things, find things, etc.

Trainz is a whole lot more than just grabbing as many routes as you can. Also, note that many freeware routes are as good or better than some of the spyware.

Just a thought... not trying at all to tell you how to do YOUR thing... but just for consideration... Above all, have fun and learn.

Back