Best way to download CDP files?

easywolf32

Hello, when I download a CDP file for Trainz, should I save the file initially in my regular Trainz downloads/packagaes folder?

Or do I save it anywhere and than open my content manager from the main launcher and drag and drop it in there?

PS> I dropped one in there and now I see a file that's in red and says missing dependencies, I right clicked and chose download. Hope that's cool?

Thanks, I'm trying to bring something in my trainz2019 game from the Jointed Rail website. I tried to post this question in the 3rd party Jointed Rail forum, but it says my account is too new or something to post in there...

Last edited:
Can't help you with jointed rail but the CDP can be handled as any other file. You can drag-drop it into Content Mangler or you can use the CM menu to import from CDP.

:B~)

Hi and thanks for the reply. Do you know if it's important where I save the inital CDP file on my computer? Should I put it in the folder where all my other dlc packages are?

Assets use other assets so the cpd you install may well need additional assets from the DLS (Content Manager). After you install 3rd party assets you need to always check things out in Content Manager (view "installed" by date helps) and download anything additonal needed, check for "open" assets, etc etc. Was this an "item" like a loco or car (rolling stock) or perhaps a route?

Make a folder for Trainz downloads and then sub folders for where they came from. Eventually you will probably have a large collection and it is handy to know what site they came from, especially if you need to reinstall. Also a handy program to have is called CDP Explorer, reads CDP like zip files. Google search for that.

Last edited:
Assets use other assets so the cpd you install may well need additional assets from the DLS (Content Manager). After you install 3rd party assets you need to always check things out in Content Manager (view "installed" by date helps) and download anything additonal needed, check for "open" assets, etc etc. Was this an "item" like a loco or car (rolling stock) or perhaps a route?

Hi 1611 Mac, it was a route, I'm looking for new routes and sessions to download so I ended up on Jointed Rails, nice to know it's the makers of Coal Country..

I downloaded Datsun Junction, a freeware type, just to test the process. I saved it in a folder than dragged it into the content manager and it appeared. I right clicked and pressed download. Have some missing dependencies which I posted in the missing Kuids topic. But it downloaded all the rest it seems. Just tried it within game and it was there. There was a small part of the track missing so maybe I should try and find those missing dependencies from their site.

If I see some payware files, how to buy them/activate them?

Last edited:
Make a folder for Trainz downloads and then sub folders for where they came from. Eventually you will probably have a large collection and it is handy to know what site they came from, especially if you need to reinstall. Also a handy program to have is called CDP Explorer, reads CDP like zip files. Google search for that.

Done, thank you, yeah I placed it in a folder called Jointed Rails DLC. Should I put this folder within my TrainzDLC folder though?

Also, if you want to delete this afterwards, I just delete the cdp file I have on my pc or do i go inside the content manager and delete from there? Or both? Than maybe clear the computers temp files/ caches?

You should keep a copy and record of all your 3rd party content. Over time you will have stuff from all kinds of 3rd party sites and you will forget what you have. In case you have to rebuild a new install of Trainz it's easier to install 3rd party stuff again from your saved folders rather than trying to remember what you had and where it came from then going back to those sites and re-downing.

RE.. Payware... are you referring to DLC in Trainz or 3rd party Payware? Payware in Trainz is purchased and then downloaded in game via the "Content Store." 3rd party payware is delivered to you after payment as CDP files. Again, KEEP a copy of those files in case you need to re-install later.

RE.. Payware... are you referring to DLC in Trainz or 3rd party Payware? Payware in Trainz is purchased and then downloaded in game via the "Content Store." 3rd party payware is delivered to you after payment as CDP files. Again, KEEP a copy of those files in case you need to re-install later.

Got it 100%! Thanks

Should I keep that subgroup folder in my main Trainz folder though?

Also, I am currently in game downloading UMR2021 (1.94gb) as we speak. It now says download complete, installing...I don't do anything until it says installed correct?

Let's say though I click somewhere on screen to look for other stuff, and the download window minimizes how do you bring it back up afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions man, I'm new to this and don't want to screw it all up again lol.

PS> Are there any sessions for this route? How come everyone loves this map lol.

Screenshot-2021-12-06-175246.jpg

Last edited:
humm.. we have different versions of the game so I'm a little confused why you have UMR2021 in you in game download window as it's not Payware. Personally, my "best practice" would be to keep your "focus" on what is happening when you download and install to make sure you know for sure what is actually happening.

All you need to do to install 3rd Party Content is as follows:

1. Download the .cdp and make sure it goes to the downloads folder.
2. Open your Trainz launcher.
3. Click the File button in the top left corner and select the "Import Content Files..." button.
4. A window should pop up; navigate to the downloads tab.
5. Double-click the .cdp you want to install.
6. If done right the Explorer window should close and an install window should appear, signifying your content is being installed.

Hope I helped!
There are numerous tutorials online too, check those out.

...Also a handy program to have is called CDP Explorer, reads CDP like zip files. Google search for that.
This file is a GOD send asset to have. I cannot tell you how many times it saves me from having to load in a 500+ asset dependency CDP when I only needed 1 or 2 specific assets from it.

Once you install your CDP files into Content Manager, change the view to Open for Edit. This will show any assets that remained open after the install due to these being duplicates of what's already installed. Leaving the assets open, will cause routes to show missing dependencies and some other assets not to work properly. What you need to do is highlight any assets that are open for edit, right-click, and choose revert-to-original.

Regarding CDP files in general.

Keep the original CDP files outside of your Trainz install on an external hard disk. The reason is in case your Trainz install gets hosed, or you need to format your hard disk, you won't lose your downloaded content. This will also allow you better organize your content as others mentioned above. I keep mine on a Seagate backup drive in a folder called Trainz Content. I have various subfolders for Jointed Rail, Approach Medium, and many other third-party assets I have downloaded over the years. In some cases, I've had to go back and reinstall from those CDP files due to something getting hosed on my system. It worked out that I had the originals tucked away.

All you need to do to install 3rd Party Content is as follows:

1. Download the .cdp and make sure it goes to the downloads folder.
2. Open your Trainz launcher.
3. Click the File button in the top left corner and select the "Import Content Files..." button.
4. A window should pop up; navigate to the downloads tab.
5. Double-click the .cdp you want to install.
6. If done right the Explorer window should close and an install window should appear, signifying your content is being installed.

Hope I helped!
There are numerous tutorials online too, check those out.

Thanks for the tips!

Once you install your CDP files into Content Manager, change the view to Open for Edit. This will show any assets that remained open after the install due to these being duplicates of what's already installed. Leaving the assets open, will cause routes to show missing dependencies and some other assets not to work properly. What you need to do is highlight any assets that are open for edit, right-click, and choose revert-to-original.

Regarding CDP files in general.

Keep the original CDP files outside of your Trainz install on an external hard disk. The reason is in case your Trainz install gets hosed, or you need to format your hard disk, you won't lose your downloaded content. This will also allow you better organize your content as others mentioned above. I keep mine on a Seagate backup drive in a folder called Trainz Content. I have various subfolders for Jointed Rail, Approach Medium, and many other third-party assets I have downloaded over the years. In some cases, I've had to go back and reinstall from those CDP files due to something getting hosed on my system. It worked out that I had the originals tucked away.

Great advice. I had seen some that were open for editing and was wondering what to do with them. I did as told, but weirdly it's still in the faulty area and there are no red warnings or missing dependencies inside when I click on show dependencies. I also did update one that needed. All I get is this warning now:

Screenshot-2021-12-06-225702.jpg

You are still missing dependencies anyway.

Right-click on the routes showing missing dependencies and choose download. Datsun Jct. has additional assets required. Ensure you grab that as well as the route, otherwise, you'll be missing the other parts. If the assets are on the DLS, they will download immediately. There's the possibility there are others that are missing due to routes containing pay-ware assets you don't have.

With Jointed Rail's routes, you need to grab any dependencies offered. When you purchase their routes, they give you links to the additional parts, but you still may have download assets from the DLS.

Some of your DLCs didn't install correctly as your CM shows at least three "Packaged, Missing dependencies". Those dependencies could also be missing for other stuff you have installed.

Back