Found great instructions on how to update older assests, noob has a question though

easywolf32

Found these nice instructions on how to update old assets. https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Using_Content_Manager_to_Update_Assets which I found on this other nicely organized help page: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo Heck, they were so good, they were written twice lol. :hehe:

This is what a newb like me needs. Some good old taken by the hand instructions. Really well done. I only have 332 files that need to be updated now. I just have a few questions, since almost all my assets have a blanked out download or download this version on the pull down down menu when I right click on any of them, it says to right click and select list all asset versions. Fine, but when I do that I see some that are called unkown assets. When I select all, do I include those as well? Is it better to select all and update them all at once, or do them one by one? I will not be selecting the obsolte ones.

Also, one last thing, over here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Fix_Errors_and_Warnings it says to optionally delete the faulty obsolete version once you've installed the new version. Do I just right click on the obsolete ones and delete them? This won't cause any damage will it? Maybe there are some files that are obsolete but don't have a newer version?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Heck, they were so good, they were written twice lol. :hehe:

Oops, my bad. The hazards of using copy and paste to update a wiki page. Now fixed. Thank you for the report.

I just have a few questions, since almost all my assets have a blanked out download or download this version on the pull down down menu when I right click on any of them, it says to right click and select list all asset versions. Fine, but when I do that I see some that are called unkown assets. When I select all, do I include those as well? Is it better to select all and update them all at once, or do them one by one? I will not be selecting the obsolte ones.

The Download options being blanked out simply means that some of those assets are "built in", "Payware" or "base" and cannot be updated by this shortcut method (why I do not know). The List all asset versions and then Download method is used for those assets but it will also work on all assets. It is just an extra step for those assets that are installed from the DLS and can be downloaded by the shortcut method.

You can certainly include Unknown assets in the list to be updated but because CM cannot find them (that is why they are unknown - and there is a whole chapter in that story!) they will be ignored in the update process. Selecting everything saves time and effort clicking and unclicking individual assets.

Also, one last thing, over here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Fix_Errors_and_Warnings it says to optionally delete the faulty obsolete version once you've installed the new version. Do I just right click on the obsolete ones and delete them? This won't cause any damage will it? Maybe there are some files that are obsolete but don't have a newer version?

If they are labelled as Obsolete then you have already installed their replacements in your Trainz database. You cannot delete those assets that are labelled as Obsolete, built in as they are part of the installation files (you can try but they won't delete). Those labelled as Obsolete, installed from DLS can be deleted.

For example, you have assets named "AWSLib" showing in the second screenshot. The one with the kuid number <kuid2:60850:89101:7> is the one you have currently installed. There are two earlier and now obsolete versions, both of which are still available for downloading because some users will want them and not the latest version. The original one is <kuid:60850:89101>. There is one newer version, <kuid2:60850:89101:9> (newest because it has the highest value trailing digit before the ">" character - another long story!) and is marked simply as Available for download. This is the one you should select for downloading.

One trick you can use is to click (once, twice or thrice) on the heading of the Status column to sort all the entries into status order. This will put all the "Available to download" rows together which makes them easier to select.

Hope this helps.
Peter

Peter, thanks a lot, the part with the kuids being numbered where the latest version is the highest number made great sense. Started downloading all the new versions of every asset, it's working and very simple. I was laughing because I almost read them twice lol. :hehe:

Back