No engineers today?

autodctr

Been working on a layout for a few months now. Up until today, everything was fine: I would run trains to see what the scenery looked like and what needed changed. There are about 25 locos right now. Today, when I went into Quick Drive, none of the locos had drivers in them? Not a single one. Is this a bug, the way it is supposed to be, something corrupted on my end, etc?

I have no idea what you are asking. I did not change anything: there have always been drivers in each train....today there are none.

Load the Session. Open the Session Editor and then select the Driver Setup Rule and click Edit.

OK. After I do that, then what do I have to do to get any loco that I place on the track to automatically have an engineer in it?

I have made many layouts in TMR2017 and now in TRS19 and I have never had to do this before. In the past, every loco on the layout had an engineer in it. Now none of them do. Going into Quick Drive, none of them do and I can't remember what I have to do there to finally even get me to where I can finally add an engineer. Most of the icons at the top left of the screen do not function at all. By the time I finally click on something that allows me to add engineers, I am so frustrated that I forget what it was that I clicked on.

I really want to know what changed and how can I change it back so that every loco is populated.

However, I would still love to know what changed????

Like the Bermuda Triangle, the Abominable Snowman, Politician's Promises - it may forever remain a mystery. I have never used Quick Drive so I have no idea there. In TRS19 Platinum Edition and Trainz Plus the UDS (Unified Driver Surveyor) interface has replaced the need for Quick Drive.

The box is already ticked. This is getting frustrating. I have been working on this layout for almost 3 months and I am hating the thoughts of losing it.

I don't use layers or any AI. I just put the track down, fill in the land under the tracks and then add scenery. Every time I save it, I just add 1 to the name: Great Valley 45 becomes Great Valley 46. 46 becomes 47. Since I had spent 2 months just laying the track and then filling in the land under (it rises from 0 to about 1800, so there was a LOT of filling). After getting the land filled in, I test drove it. Everything was fine: every loco was populated. Several times after adding more scenery I would test drive again. And it always worked like before: trains were always populated. However, after adding a few thousand more trees and trying to drive again, then nothing was populated.

Load the Session. Open the Session Editor and then select the Driver Setup Rule and click Edit.

Thank you. One of my sessions wasn't working as the driver had an error so I managed to change the driver and it now works. The first time I'd edited a session.

Cheerio John

So, without any luck on what has already been suggested, I populate every single train.....all 21 of them. I start every train moving. So far, so good. Trains are moving, but when I go to the driver list, ALL drivers show as IDLE even though they are all in moving trains. Even more than that, 2 trains have disappeared! The driver list shows that those 2 drivers are without any assignment! They WERE assigned because that's the only way to get a train to move. All drivers were assigned to every train BEFORE any train was moved. What the heck is going on????

Last edited:
Well, this is kinda fixed. I went into the driver setup and UNticked the box to populate trains and it works now. Gotta love software.

The plot thickens: IF I forget to UNtick the box to automatically assign drivers to locos. no drivers are assigned. If I do remember to UNtick the box, drivers are assigned and everything works fine. However, forgetting to UNtick it, makes me have to assign each loco a driver. While this isn't super bad, this is: after Manually assigning the drivers and getting the trains moving, everything seems OK for about 10 or 15 minutes. THEN, trains, one by one, start to disappear! Checking the driver list, it still shows the driver but he is no longer assigned to any train.

What gives?

At this point I would throw caution to the wind and do a DBR. In all my years of using the Driver Setup Rule I have never experienced what you describe, so I would suspect something else is amiss.

Your passage in an earlier post also raises a another possibility - but I am "clutching at straws" here.

Every time I save it, I just add 1 to the name: Great Valley 45 becomes Great Valley 46. 46 becomes 47. Since I had spent 2 months just laying the track and then filling in the land under (it rises from 0 to about 1800, so there was a LOT of filling). After getting the land filled in, I test drove it. Everything was fine: every loco was populated. Several times after adding more scenery I would test drive again. And it always worked like before: trains were always populated. However, after adding a few thousand more trees and trying to drive again, then nothing was populated.

Driver Setups, Driver Commands and all rules are saved in the Session and not the Route. When you save and give each save a new name ("Great Valley XX", "Great Valley XX+1", etc) is that the Route or the Session that you are naming sequentially? If you are saving by giving each Route a new name but are not also saving the Session then a new session called "Default" will be automatically saved as a part of the route. This "Default" Session will have all of its Rules and their settings set to their default (unedited or nil) values and not any values you may have entered. You need to save both the Route and the Session if you have edited any Session Rules, consist or industry settings.

Also note that "the desire" of saving a "game" (session in play) is not the same thing as saving a session (some people name their game saves sequentially as you mention.) Confusing... isn't it?

At the risk of oversimplifying the problem (and possibly offending you in the process) I would add to the post above by pointing you to the Trainz Wiki page on Route and Session Basics at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Route_and_Session_Basics

Offending due to oversimplifying? That's my job! I know that I sometimes very unintentionally "talk down" to some and possibly offend. I mistakenly assume people will understand and overlook but it doesn't always happen. Not knowing what any single person may or may not know, I figure it's best to start simple and work to more detail. I could be wrong... :) (I also seem to totally miss the point sometimes. Oh well..)

Back