Transforming ordinary roads to seasonal snowy

After a winter between -20 and -30C in Montreal, the first Spring day at -5C seemed like summer to me. Even an Aussie weakling like myself came to work in a T-shirt, and I wasn’t the only one!

Anyway, try to focus on the snow splines, not the people. Just know they were all paid well for the photo shoots and there was hot coffee and donuts in the catering van.
;)

Just a reminder; when placing these splines - remember to make the snowline height less than the terrain you’re working on, otherwise you won’t see them!

And they never show up in Surveyor’s little asset selection preview window. It always tries to display the non-snowy mesh, which of course, is invisible. I’ve tried some config tricks but cannot make it show a visible mesh in that preview window. It’s bound to cause confusion but I can’t do much about it.

Last edited:
.. thankz a lot, deane, for all your beautiful detailed stuff ..
i'm experimenting now with that cool winterfrost season : trainzpotting mm19 - dinoriusnowy ..
have a healthy and wonderful life ...
grtz

trainzpotting-mm19---dinoriusnow.jpg

Deane, I wanted to know if you could modify one of your seasonal paths for me. This is on Jointed Rail's Monongahela & Western Pennsylvania route, which is obviously set in the middle of winter. The only problem with this is that they used Auran's 'Road Snow Track' to create a snow-covered culvert bridge, which is made by weevil. I would like to replace the 'Road Snow Track' with a version of your seasonal road overlays, but without the tire markings. If you could make that, that would be a big help. Here's a picture of the bridge:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Deane, I wanted to know if you could modify one of your seasonal paths for me. This is on Jointed Rail's Monongahela & Western Pennsylvania route, which is obviously set in the middle of winter. The only problem with this is that they used Auran's 'Road Snow Track' to create a snow-covered culvert bridge, which is made by weevil. I would like to replace the 'Road Snow Track' with a version of your seasonal road overlays, but without the tire markings. If you could make that, that would be a big help.

Jordon,

I have a few questions. Could we discuss it "off-line" via PM?

~ Deane

Another set of seasonal snow cover splines for paths, sidewalks, platforms etc.

These ones represent untouched, freshly-fallen snow. There are no footprints this time, just slight undulations from wind drift and a hint of some "granularity". They will be on the DLS within 24 hours.

Snow cover 1.5m path 02 <kuid:68213:37386>
ff48DkQ.jpg

Snow cover 2.5m path 02 <kuid:68213:37387>
BMLym33.jpg

Snow cover 3.5m path 02 <kuid:68213:37388>
ZKb5Osb.jpg

Snow cover 4.5m path 02 <kuid:68213:37389>
3O311PE.jpg

Snow cover 5.5m path 02 <kuid:68213:37390>
8dhyyFP.jpg

Those things already exist in top-order games such as Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Assassin's Creed, in fact they have been there for a few years now. Trainz is a long way behind in those aspects.

As for me, I'm even further behind - I still don't know how to animate, how to bake textures or do render-to-texture and I really haven't got into PBR yet! :confused: Even these simple snow splines took me 3 weeks to get them looking approximately the way I wanted. I'm so tired!

Last edited:
Dino, would you be willing to make some seasonal assests for the YARN/YARNish series of roads? I don't think it would take much too effort to make them.

Back