Tunnels

big_b

Just been trying to create some Tunnels in S2 in Build 115628

Created a hill and put a track and tunnel through it
But when trying to move the tunnel or add track to it or adjust the height I had problems

I kept grabbing the Tunnel Track and moved it and left the tunnel there. A bit hard when 2 end points are sitting over each other and both are track

There just too small for my eyes anyway

I'm also finding the online manual not all that informative .Some videos on the basics would be great. Similar to the ones on you tube for the previous versions.

Hi, Whenever you are creating a route with a large number of assets with splines, it's a good idea to use 'Layers' - Name one for track and name another for tunnels. It's then easy to lock one off while you make adjustments to the other. Once they are in place, lock both off and get on with the rest.
I also use layers when creating invisible stations, platforms, then adding passengers, staircases, lifts, signals, etc.
Good luck!
Cheers, Roy

That doesn't work when using S2 and the tunnel track and the tunnel itself can move independent of each other. You can move the built in tunnel track out of the tunnel

Well that's why I currently use Surveyor Classic, until all the bugs are cleaned up. I never have any problems adjusting track or asset splines.
Good luck. Roy

It’s a great shame IMHO, the opportunity wasn’t taken with S20 to completely overhaul the tunnel creation system, including allowing us to get under the terrain to sort out trouble spots deep underground.

It’s a great shame IMHO, the opportunity wasn’t taken with S20 to completely overhaul the tunnel creation system, including allowing us to get under the terrain to sort out trouble spots deep underground.

The whole tunnel system has been broken since Trainz 1.0. The dig-hole mess with clumsy entrances, splines, and invisible lifting meshes that cause splines to lift up in the air, make me dread needing a tunnel anywhere.

The tunnel thing, however, isn't so much Surveyor, and instead the implementation of them in the code itself. Maybe as time evolves and life goes one, we may have better tunnels, and a lot of other useful things such as real scheduled timetables. Given that it's been 20 years, I'm not sitting on the side holding my breath.

I have long felt that the best way to make tunnels (and bridges for that matter) is by using spline objects configured as roads (i.e. without attached track). In this way they can be aligned perfectly to existing trackwork without the need to interrupt gradients or curves with the addition of extra spline points. There are some bridges and tunnels like this on the DLS. Sadly only a few though.

It is a bit of extra work getting everything lined up correctly, but the layer tools make the job easier and the results speak for themselves.

Thanks for the report - if you select the end spline only, it will move only the track. (Still a bug).

If you select the whole tunnel, you can move the end vertex along with the rest of the tunnel.

The other workaround for now is to switch to Classic and use the track move tool there.

The dighole system is a limitation of the terrain grid and not related to this tools update. The overhaul for terrain is a BIG job, but it's on the list.

Last edited:
Back