Q: Newly Installed Trainz 2019, can I place DLC folder on D instead of C Drive?

easywolf32

I'm following the steps listed here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content

Concerning these steps:

1. Navigate up one directory level (you can use the little "up arrow" on the left of of the address dropdown)
  2. Create a new folder and give it a name
  3. Now double-click into this new folder (it will be empty), and copy the path just like you did in the above step #2.
  4. Now go back to Launcher > Trainz Settings > Install tab, paste the new path, replacing the current path, in the "Local Data Folder" field

Is it ok if instead of going up just once as it says (which would just lead me back into the c drive) (Where I only have 150gb free space) I go inside my D Drive where I have (1TB Free space) and choose a new folder in there?

My C Drive is an SSD, my D Drive is not, will it matter?

Thanks

Hi,
As long as your o/s recognises both drives it doesn't matter.
Remember to add both the program folder and the data folder to your antivirus exclusion settings - you don't want the anti-virus to check every data file as it loads!
I have a smallish SSD that I use for TS19, compared with a conventional drive it decreases the scenery loading time a lot!

Colin

Yes. I currently have 4 installs. The apps are installed on my C: drive (SSD) and user data folders are on D: drive (SSD). Name your userdata folders something meaningful that you can understand (like "TS22 userdata" or "TS22 content" or "TS22 Beta Content"). It just makes it easier for you to keep track of what is what.

Hi,
As long as your o/s recognises both drives it doesn't matter.
Remember to add both the program folder and the data folder to your antivirus exclusion settings - you don't want the anti-virus to check every data file as it loads!
I have a smallish SSD that I use for TS19, compared with a conventional drive it decreases the scenery loading time a lot!

Colin

I use enterprise NAS-quality drives with huge cache-sizes and that makes a big difference, and the assets load up pretty quickly. I got these drives for reliability as well because the constant disk access eats up consumer-grade hard disks very quickly. These drives are also good for music recording and editing because the throughput is better. In addition to the fast drives, I keep my drives defragmented regularly and defrag my Trainz-content hard drives more often to ensure best performance.

I have all basis trainz versions on my D-drive an old school 2T 10k rpm
but only the Local folders on C is an m2.SSD (SSD direct on the motherboard)
fastest kind of drive I have

When you start Trainz, it reads the TRS19.exe 1x, then does all read and write in your local directory
so that is where you have most benefit of the fastest drive in your system
also there are the windows swapfile, pagefile and hiberfil
hope this helps

I use separate internal SSDs one for Each install of TRS19 TRS22 and TANE and TRS19 on a second PC as well, 500TB SSDs are good although my main install is on a 1TB SSD as it was getting a bit full up on a 500GB. on this PC Trainz is on drives G and H, yes I have all 6 SATA ports used.

Back