Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Greetings ZvxwvU. For your first post in these forums that is an amazingly well thought out and presented post.

Thanks for the warm welcome and useful info about plans! I'm also a computer programmer and I know how important constructive feedback is, especially while developing new features :).

I found one more very useful feature related to trackside objects: changing the distance of trackside objects from the track and visual guidelines. It will be very useful for placing the catenary support elements. However, it looks that it is active every time while moving the object, and I find it very problematic. Many trackside objects have been designed to appear in a certain distance from the track, and different distance is rather an exception than a rule. Right now, after every move one needs to right-click and select "Re-attach to track" to maintain that default distance.

Imagine the following scenario: I want to add catenary over a complex system of junctions. I place all the support arms, poles etc. and I want to adjust them to the right position. It becomes very hard, if every attempt to move the element also changes the distance from the track, because I can only see the final result after right-clicking and selecting the option from a context menu. The better way would be maintaining the existing distance by default while moving and allowing to change it only when we additionally hold some key on a keyboard (e.g. Shift or Ctrl).

Trying to pick out rolling stock and locos could be easier. Pretty pictures are pretty but without the full name it makes it difficult to see which item is which.

Cheerio John

John If I'm understanding your point correctly...

In S20 click on the "picture" icon next to the asset "Search" box and it shows asset name instead of picture.

Edit: I see now martinvk already provided this info

Last edited:
John If I'm understanding your point correctly...

In S20 click on the "picture" icon next to the asset "Search" box and it shows asset name instead of picture.

Edit: I see now martinvk already provided this info

I suspect I've inadvertently closed the panel with the rolling stock pictures so what do I do to get it back?

Thanks

Cheerio John

Do you mean the panel that shows all of the assets? Then click on the Window Menu icon, to the left of the question mark, and click on the Assets Palette to activate it again.

New ideas
Regarding rulers and templates, I have an idea for another type of ruler. Among Polish add-ons, there is a useful scenery object: a configurable template for making realistic track curves. You entered the desired curve radius (e.g. R800 m) and the degree, and the template showed where the track nodes should be positioned. Unfortunately, in TRS2019 SP3 it became a bit broken due to issues with selecting it and moving around. How about making something similar and maintain it as a part of the core game?
What is this template? Is it in the DS?

AFAIK it's not in DS. I found it here one day: http://trainz.krb.com.pl/dzial-symu...inne-pomoce-naukowe/szablon-lukow-uniwersalny Translated summary below:

This is a template that helps placing all kinds of curves. It does not contain track nodes, but only markers showing certain points of the curve, where you should place the track. The template is configurable - that is one can configure the direction of the curve, its radius and angle. Then, the markers for the specified parameters appear on the map.

Parameter ranges:
- direction: left or right. Up and down is not present and won't be
- radius: from 100 to 4000 m. Lower values do not appear in real world (maybe except public transport or narrow gauge), larger ones would be hard to operate visually - too big distances between markers
- angle: 5-90 degrees, with 5-degree step

Like I said, I found it extremely useful, and I thought it would be a nice idea to have a similar ruler in the core game.

AFAIK it's not in DS. I found it here one day: http://trainz.krb.com.pl/dzial-symu...inne-pomoce-naukowe/szablon-lukow-uniwersalny Translated summary below:

Like I said, I found it extremely useful, and I thought it would be a nice idea to have a similar ruler in the core game.

I have that installed also from the same place. It's very useful indeed, although it's been a while since I used it.

There are many, many track spacers and templates on the DLS that are also worth looking at including a yard template. <kuid:37522:9972> CS Yard Template 1. I looked for CS Yard Template and CS Yard Template 2, but there are no others on the DLS.

Thought I would have some fun and create a new route with one of all of my content in it. After 469 objects I try to place another spline and get an error:
"Internal Error: Starting endpoint is missing."
Even if I try to place a second instance of the last spline I just added, the same error so it's not an object config error. There are 111 unique splines in the route I can still place ordinary Scenery items.

This in 115628 using S20
Is this due to it being a WIP?

Before jumping to false conclusions, I wanted to give a heads up and ask if anyone else has seen this issue or if it was something I did. Next step is to try to duplicate this in a new route using only spline objects to see if I hit the same error.

Before testing the spline issue, I noticed that after pointing to a copy of my TRS19 Platinum data folder, it takes Content Manager a long time (several minutes) to display the installed contents (66,336) Until that is complete, the asset list in Surveyor is filled with "unknown" objects. After a few minutes, a whole bunch of objects appeared but the majority are not "my content" but other people's objects. Eventually, when CM was finished, the Asset list in surveyor was showing correctly.
not my content.JPG

Made a spline only route and after 108 of my splines, the issue did not appear. Not having any more of my own splines, I started to add others and could not reproduce the issue. Will have to do more testing to see if an interaction with other kinds of assets triggers the issue.

Meanwhile, wanting to have a visual feedback of the kuid that was placed, I activated the "Show KUIDs in Surveyor" option in the settings.
kuids in surveyor.JPG
Even when all of the palettes are turned off, there are still two grey bars on the screen, one on each side. Perhaps obscuring the kuid text?
no kuid shown.JPG
Had a look in the classic surveyor and the kuid is shown
kuids in classic surveyor.jpg

Made a spline only route and after 108 of my splines, the issue did not appear. Not having any more of my own splines, I started to add others and could not reproduce the issue. Will have to do more testing to see if an interaction with other kinds of assets triggers the issue.

Meanwhile, wanting to have a visual feedback of the kuid that was placed, I activated the "Show KUIDs in Surveyor" option in the settings.

Even when all of the palettes are turned off, there are still two grey bars on the screen, one on each side. Perhaps obscuring the kuid text?

Had a look in the classic surveyor and the kuid is shown

<pics removed from quote>

I would report that too.

I just discovered that myself a few minutes ago and was going to mention it.

Have NOT been able to duplicate the "Internal Error: Starting endpoint is missing." error. As near as I can tell, I had just pointed Trainz to a copy of the TRS19 data folder and it was taking a long time for all the assets to show in CM. I think it is possible that the import task was not 100% complete when I got the error. Now, everything appears normal.

false alarm

Last edited:
Assets Palette

The new Assets palette has some interesting features that could make placing objects in the map a lot easier.
One of the first things I did was to open the Edit Filters & Picklists selection. Then I added a bunch of exclusions to the "Installed" filter so that it would not display things that are not directly placed in a map like: mesh, route, session,train component, driver, rule. Two that I didn't see in the categories were control set and region.

Since the Filters are shared with CM, I added a new filter called "All Installed" which displays everything that is installed. Handy in CM when thinking of adding a new asset to see if I already have one or perhaps an obsolete version.

My layer menu saga continues.

I am not sure this is already mentioned or just me.

Working on my route S20 does a great job so far.
Annoying is :

1 when you set your "active" layer and you want that to stay your active layer until you click another one to become active.

2 I noticed many times the moment I hit the up or down button the view changes but ALSO the layer moves on step up or down.

3 Now the bad thing is I also noticed that I forget very often to keep 1 eye on the layers like some weird lunatic working with TRS19 layers .

4 Since I simply not get used to intentional click the model viewport after being in the menu viewport I see that thinking being in the model and click the up or down arrow to change view angle the layer goes also 1 up or down or more.
This means I am still in the menu viewport but why does it go up in the menu and also in the model viewport. :confused:

Last edited:
Back