Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackyamstel View Post
    So far in the limited time that I have had playing around with S20 I have found that I don't like the default texture on the baseboards. Since a lot of my route is grass and fields it is difficult to see where I need to paint textures , where my painting ends and the default ground texture begins. It is a lot easier for me to paint textures on a blank baseboard with only the grid visible. I know that I can pick the grid to be displayed but it seems that you can't see what you're painting until you go back to the default. I hope that the grid once more becomes default or that you can see what gets painted when you've got the grid displayed.

I like the sensitivity control for painting textures. It will be nice for blending different textures.

There's a bit to learn here but I'll keep working with S20 and see what else I discover.

Cheers, Jack
    I believe that the default base texture is now in the region file used on a route. So if you want the default grid just edit the region to use that texture.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    The right-mouse button should be used more prominently and can be eliminated from navigation. I have instinctively right-clicked to bring up contextual menus on objects and ended up with the compass instead. Perhaps with the interface changing as much as it has, this could be changed as well as this has many more advantages. In the olden days, we used the right-mouse-button to navigate around in S1.0. While this worked well in this modal-interface, the contextual menus in S2.0 play a bigger role and therefore the right-mouse-button navigation is obsolete in some respects.

I totally agree with you John. I think navigation/compass movement should be a combination such as Ctrl + RMB or Shift/Alt + RMB thus freeing up RMB for use such as contextual menus. Many people have a mouse with more than 2 buttons, mine for example has 5 buttons. How about allowing for user configuration of extra buttons. I use a program called X-Mouse Button Control to program the buttons to simulate key presses or switch buttons (useful if you're left handed).

As things stand the mouse is under utilised.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by hert View Post
    I believe that the default base texture is now in the region file used on a route. So if you want the default grid just edit the region to use that texture.
    Wow.. I can't keep track of all the versions... I think I have this right... In the 22 beta with S20 you can select "grid" instead of the texture. And I read somewhere that Tony said the next release of the SP5 beta will be back to the normal grid and not the texture. (the texture in SP5 beta was/is due to it being v5 and I think N3V just overlooked the fact that the v5 texture defualt would overlay the grid, but I could be wrong.)

1611mac, you're correct in that you can select the grid but if you try painting a texture with the grid visible, you can't see the texture being put down on the baseboard until you go back to the default view with the grass texture on the baseboards. Some people like the grass being default but I would prefer the grid. Maybe there should be an option to pick which one a user wants to be default. In the meantime, I'll look at editing the existing region or creating a new one to show the grid as default.

Thanks for that info about the region file, hert. I have found that mentioned elsewhere now as well. Don't know how I missed it.

Cheers, Jack

Ah yes... sorry I misunderstood your point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buci View Post
    Yes, this could be very helpful in cluttered environment.

Regards
    Darko
    Different Coloured spline points for different types of splines ? Yes yes yes yes, been asking for this feature for donkeys years !!!!
    Last edited by dangavel; December 7th, 2021 at 12:57 AM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Thailand, Phu Pan Nat'l park proud neighbor
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down LAYERS since 2006

TIP
    Hiding a layer does not prevent objects from being copied or deleted by any copy/paste operations.

this morning i stumbled on a thread where layer problems occurred in picking/clicking assets not worked anymore.
    I read again the Surveyor 2.0 guide and found this what I for sure would not call a TIP.

This has to be called a red hot warning that the command you use (for what I think it should do for me at least called hide/unhide) is a very dangerous one and only seems to be a visible hide.
    Can someone explain to me what it means to them and how effective to have only a visible hide?
    It freaked me out but knowing already for quiet a long time that the layers system is weak and unstabil if you not careful you are in trouble.
    I use /used it extensively as it should allow you to organise things well in large and huge routes and even small routes too.
    So hide and lock does not help a lot especially when you use 3D DEM baseboards and hide and lock them all the data on top you cannot click (problem older than trs19) or manipulate as warning appears a layer is locked unlock them please.

Anyway just meant to share my old concerns on this one.

The maker of the famous Canadian Rocky Mountains routes
    Support UA and Oleg's family 1 buy his content via n3v special offer
    2 donate on trainzup.com website or 3 like me donate via swift on his account

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoysTrainz View Post
    TIP
    Hiding a layer does not prevent objects from being copied or deleted by any copy/paste operations.

Can someone explain to me what it means to them and how effective to have only a visible hide?
    Hiding does just that, it hides a layer from view. This is actually quite useful both in Surveyor (to be able to get at objects behind, beneath or above other objects) and in Driver to create some additional novelty such as revealing or hiding scenery items when no longer needed.

To prevent objects in a layer from being deleted or moved, you use the LOCK option - the padlock icon next to the eye icon (which hides/shows the layer).
    Development: Trainz Plus - b117092, Win 10, 16GB, RTX 3060Ti
    Testing: Trainz Plus - b117540, Win 11, 16GB, RTX 3050Ti

Blog Entries

Well you not read fully or understand what i try to explain in my post, not only the header.
    I am aware of my not native english deteriorating with age and living in a country where english is a sort of funny english if any at all.

eg lock does not work when you hide and lock and still want to work on the other visible assets you want to edit or whatever do with it.
    The system tells you you cannot until you unlock what you just wanted to hide and lock.

Catch 22 sort off.

Blog Entries

straighten spline i use a lot for tracks just before a switch to make smooth curve or straight still not hold as sticky. It resets at will making endless repairs like in Tane and TRS19 a repeating problem.
    To my humble understanding of what straighten spline command means it should straighten and stay that way until I change it not until the program somewhere makes those undone.

refresh of the graphics display when heavy part of a yard gets very slow(refreshing) by times when system starts to do its thing. A go around that works 99% of time is use UDS and change to drive which than almost instantly shows all and than go back surveyor and see now it shows all too.
    Other than that S2.0 is a true marvel in all aspects.
    Tuning and finishing of course unfinished aspects will be the cherry on the cake.

Blog Entries

Well you not read fully or understand what i try to explain in my post, not only the header.
    I am aware of my not native english deteriorating with age and living in a country where english is a sort of funny english if any at all.

eg lock does not work when you hide and lock and still want to work on the other visible assets you want to edit or whatever do with it.
    The system tells you you cannot until you unlock what you just wanted to hide and lock..
    Ok, I may still not understand but I am not at my Trainz computer to check this out. From my knowledge of TRS19 you cannot lock or hide baseboards. I doubt this has changed in TRS22 but anything could be possible.

Secondly, when you lock or hide a layer you lock or hide everything that ls in that layer, no exceptions. You can select and lock individual objects (and the marquee tool in TRS22 may have extended that ability to multiple objects, I don't know) by creating a new and empty locked layer and setting the objects bound layer to the locked layer. Instructions for doing this can found in the Trainz Wiki page on Using Layers in the section called The Bound Layer.

Blog Entries

pware don't get me wrong to be persistent to clarify little details:
    a 3D DEM board equals the size of a baseboard and as such this 3D DEM 'baseboard" in its entirety covers the baseboard and you can move XYZ.
    I do not remember me talking about baseboards as such so I assume you are not used to and or know this feature and asset type.
    I have used this for many years and it is a very valuable asset for me for creating proto routes.
    The problem starts when the mouse tries to identify any given asset within one baseboard and/or crossing it will almost always 98% fail and pick the underlying 3D DEM board even if this is a few meters underground.
    One has to put it much deeper so the sensor of the mouse might not be triggered by it and take the asset wanted on ground or above level.
    In that case I miss the purpose and usage of my 3D DEM board as it needs in most cases within a few mtr. beneath ground level.
    This handicap may I call it makes the entire layer system (at least for me)with ONLY visible hide and lock functionality totally useless and misleading.
    You want to be able to hide something because it obscures and or block an asset or assets you want to work on.
    This means the entire data (Not only the graphics display) set of the hidden locked asset(s) should not interfere in any way.
    BTW this makes the marquee feature a tool to be very careful with as it grabs anything also the not visible stuff.

Blog Entries

Now that I am back with my Trainz TRS22 computer this is now making more sense.

pware don't get me wrong to be persistent to clarify little details:
    a 3D DEM board equals the size of a baseboard and as such this 3D DEM 'baseboard" in its entirety covers the baseboard and you can move XYZ.
    I do not remember me talking about baseboards as such so I assume you are not used to and or know this feature and asset type.
    You are correct, it was the "DEM" part that I was not seeing and I am not familiar with that asset.

The problem starts when the mouse tries to identify any given asset within one baseboard and/or crossing it will almost always 98% fail and pick the underlying 3D DEM board even if this is a few meters underground.
    One has to put it much deeper so the sensor of the mouse might not be triggered by it and take the asset wanted on ground or above level.
    OK, I think I now have the story, hopefully.

I don't have anything like the DEM assets so I installed a 100m concrete slab from the DLS and placed in the route in a new layer which I locked. I then placed on top of the slab a number of small building assets, all in the route-layer which was not locked.

You are correct using the marquee tool selects everything, including the concrete slab. But:-

1. With everything selected (via the marquee tool) I hit the delete button and only those assets that were in the unlocked route-layer were deleted.
    2. Again with everything selected I used the Free Move tool and only those unlocked assets could be moved.
    3. The marquee tool does allow you to make a mass move of selected objects to another layer or to set their Bound Layer properties to another layer, such as a locked layer.

So all may not be lost. Try placing the DEM objects in their own layer and locking it.

Let me know of your progress here.

Blog Entries

hi there,
    at least good we are on speaking terms and talk about same things.
    the problem is slightly more complicated as i organize pretty well my layers much less detailed coz of assets moving around on layers unwanted in the past but still have the major assets filtered thru layers.
    DM boards also have their own layer and are most of the time hide n lock.
    NOW here is one i try eg a trigger mark or signal I have now all on the track layer no more split for above mentioned reasons.
    I want to delete a group of triggers using the marquee tool and yes have most layers hide lock but not the track layer. I not see how to tell delete trigger and or signal within.....
    BTW the popup menu's have to be rearranged take to much space and if 2 menu's on left side, using pretty often; one is always to long taking space or i have each time to set the filter to something irrelevant just to get space.

is there any way to control the trigger radius on a track mark or trigger and make a route setting like 5 mtr i.o. default 20 mtr. now i not find where to change the radius individually or all.

PS. having a total blast using S20. Its potential is amazing and already total fun of using it even with many little critters of unfinished or wrong thought settings.
    Last edited by RoysTrainz; December 6th, 2021 at 11:28 PM.

Blog Entries

NOW here is one i try eg a trigger mark or signal I have now all on the track layer no more split for above mentioned reasons.
    I want to delete a group of triggers using the marquee tool and yes have most layers hide lock but not the track layer. I not see how to tell delete trigger and or signal within.....
    I often put track marks in their own layer but it must be below the layer containing the track - below as in the order of the layers from the top (route-layer where I have the track) down to the last layer in the Route Group. If the track layer is locked then selecting and deleting a set of track marks should not be a problem - but lock all other layers in case the marquee tool grabs other assets close to the track such as grass.

BTW the popup menu's have to be rearranged take to much space and if 2 menu's on left side, using pretty often; one is always to long taking space or i have each time to set the filter to something irrelevant just to get space.
    My biggest problem with the panels/pallets is the screen size. I am using a laptop as my TRS22 beta test platform and I have to constantly scroll or minimise/restore them.

is there any way to control the trigger radius on a track mark or trigger and make a route setting like 5 mtr i.o. default 20 mtr. now i not find where to change the radius individually or all.
    I assume that there must be a way. I will have a look later.