Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Regarding scale - there are various options available where you are in control of the scale. 1:1 is possible now - you can just use ctrl-c and ctrl-v (or select an existing scrapbook asset and ctrl-v)

Also, change Brush shape to Natural and adjust the scale to the original scale and you get an exact copy as well (using the brush).

In your example with the rocks, I discovered a bug with one rotation axis not being copied correctly. But when that's fixed, I'm pretty sure the current tools will do everything you're asking here.

Just to clarify that point, the "Pitch" value is not remembered nor saved currently.

Although I still think being able to lock the individual components' vertical relationship to each other would be useful as in my rocks and "building group placed on spline ground" examples.

Thanks for the reply Tony.

The third, which is what I think you'll be after, is simply to press CTRL + V to paste the selection. This will paste it onto the route at the position of the cursor, and you can then move/rotate it as desired.

Yes! That works brilliantly for the grouping/scaling. I'm sure that if I go and check the docs again I'll see that in there so please accept my apologies for wasting your time on a RTFM issue.

Thanks guys.

Interesting at first glance, especially a large brush is the basis. But I miss the creation of the water surface, the impossibility of filling or rewriting the terrain textures. The problem with creating objects is that they are constantly selected and after right-clicking or another key on the keyboard, the model remains constantly selected. Very small model icons (image), virtually invisible selection of the desired model or texture. I find it very complicated to copy and paste models.

The first image, shows a virtually invisible selection of content in the left sidebar:

Screenshot-12-03-2021-23-47-20.png

The system draws on uploaded images of cdp files, but how does anyone find content they contain, although it might look like this:

Screenshot-12-03-2021-23-49-20.png

Bulk asset update/Replace Brush texture rewriting doesn't work with Beta, or won't it work at all in 2.0?:

Screenshot-12-04-2021-00-02-05.png

An example of a snow barrier, which even after clicking on other models is constantly selected for modification.:

Screenshot-12-04-2021-00-15-13.png

Screenshot-12-03-2021-23-47-20.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - mostly things already on our list to fix (some already fixed)

Although I still think being able to lock the individual components' vertical relationship to each other would be useful as in my rocks and "building group placed on spline ground" examples.
This is possible now (or if not in your build, it will be in the next one)

David - Ctrl-D to deselect, or Free move tool and click anywhere away from the object.

Thanks for the feedback - mostly things already on our list to fix (some already fixed)

This is possible now (or if not in your build, it will be in the next one)

David - Ctrl-D to deselect, or Free move tool and click anywhere away from the object.

Thanks, Ctrl + D, I'll try, but even if I clicked anywhere outside the object, or even used the background brush, it was constantly selected for editing.

Ctrl + D does work. I've remapped mine in settings/control settings to Ctrl + 1 which I find a little easier to use. Works a treat. S20 is very promising.

John

Hello,

Where are the arrows that show me the heading of the train, once it has been deselected (or even re-selected)?
Finally I found the tool under the LMB, but still you have to change the heading to see what it is.
Thanks.

Paul

The right-mouse button should be used more prominently and can be eliminated from navigation. I have instinctively right-clicked to bring up contextual menus on objects and ended up with the compass instead. Perhaps with the interface changing as much as it has, this could be changed as well as this has many more advantages. In the olden days, we used the right-mouse-button to navigate around in S1.0. While this worked well in this modal-interface, the contextual menus in S2.0 play a bigger role and therefore the right-mouse-button navigation is obsolete in some respects.

What we need a navigation-mode with a separate cursor in addition to the tools we have now. In navigation mode, no objects can be selected, we can navigate around using the left-mouse-button. When we are editing the terrain, placing objects, and painting the surface, we can then right-mouse-click on objects, textures, etc. and bring up contextual menus for the specific actions associated with the asset. These contextual menus will mimic those that are associated with the different tools. The advantage of this is less mouse movement for adjustments, and mode changes, for example, we have selected a group of trees and we want to move them. Instead of switching from marquee to the free move tool, we instead right-click, and choose Move from the menu.

Under this menu is also Fine-adjustment, copy, delete and delete.

The navigation-only mode also has its advantages in that we can move about on a route without accidently selecting something and moving it with us. There are many times when we open a route for editing to explore it. In the old S1.0, this was the case until we selected a tool, perhaps to get an asset to see what it is, or to get height. Once this occurred, we were in full editing with the possibility of ruining something in the process. Sure, we would not save on exit, otherwise, we would have an unwanted clone in some cases, but this eliminates this automatically. In the past, I know I usually open a route for editing and choose get terrain height to avoid ruining something as I explore.

This doesn't imply that the separate tools aren't needed. There are many times when we need to do things while building or editing a session and having the separate tools allows us to do that quickly, besides, some people may prefer to work using that method anyway, so allowing that option is possible. In fact, those that want to work that way, could have the option of using the "standard" S2.0 mode versus the new method, whatever this would be called.

After creating a new Trainz route/map in TrainzDEM and importing route/map into TRS2022 with Surveyor 2.0, using the Marquee Tool to delete unnecessary baseboards is much faster than deleting one baseboard at a time in Surveyor 1.0.

So far in the limited time that I have had playing around with S20 I have found that I don't like the default texture on the baseboards. Since a lot of my route is grass and fields it is difficult to see where I need to paint textures , where my painting ends and the default ground texture begins. It is a lot easier for me to paint textures on a blank baseboard with only the grid visible. I know that I can pick the grid to be displayed but it seems that you can't see what you're painting until you go back to the default. I hope that the grid once more becomes default or that you can see what gets painted when you've got the grid displayed.

I like the sensitivity control for painting textures. It will be nice for blending different textures.

There's a bit to learn here but I'll keep working with S20 and see what else I discover.

Cheers, Jack

So far in the limited time that I have had playing around with S20 I have found that I don't like the default texture on the baseboards. Since a lot of my route is grass and fields it is difficult to see where I need to paint textures , where my painting ends and the default ground texture begins. It is a lot easier for me to paint textures on a blank baseboard with only the grid visible. I know that I can pick the grid to be displayed but it seems that you can't see what you're painting until you go back to the default. I hope that the grid once more becomes default or that you can see what gets painted when you've got the grid displayed.

I like the sensitivity control for painting textures. It will be nice for blending different textures.

There's a bit to learn here but I'll keep working with S20 and see what else I discover.

Cheers, Jack

I believe that the default base texture is now in the region file used on a route. So if you want the default grid just edit the region to use that texture.

The right-mouse button should be used more prominently and can be eliminated from navigation. I have instinctively right-clicked to bring up contextual menus on objects and ended up with the compass instead. Perhaps with the interface changing as much as it has, this could be changed as well as this has many more advantages. In the olden days, we used the right-mouse-button to navigate around in S1.0. While this worked well in this modal-interface, the contextual menus in S2.0 play a bigger role and therefore the right-mouse-button navigation is obsolete in some respects.

I totally agree with you John. I think navigation/compass movement should be a combination such as Ctrl + RMB or Shift/Alt + RMB thus freeing up RMB for use such as contextual menus. Many people have a mouse with more than 2 buttons, mine for example has 5 buttons. How about allowing for user configuration of extra buttons. I use a program called X-Mouse Button Control to program the buttons to simulate key presses or switch buttons (useful if you're left handed).

As things stand the mouse is under utilised.

Regards,

John

I believe that the default base texture is now in the region file used on a route. So if you want the default grid just edit the region to use that texture.

Wow.. I can't keep track of all the versions... I think I have this right... In the 22 beta with S20 you can select "grid" instead of the texture. And I read somewhere that Tony said the next release of the SP5 beta will be back to the normal grid and not the texture. (the texture in SP5 beta was/is due to it being v5 and I think N3V just overlooked the fact that the v5 texture defualt would overlay the grid, but I could be wrong.)

1611mac, you're correct in that you can select the grid but if you try painting a texture with the grid visible, you can't see the texture being put down on the baseboard until you go back to the default view with the grass texture on the baseboards. Some people like the grass being default but I would prefer the grid. Maybe there should be an option to pick which one a user wants to be default. In the meantime, I'll look at editing the existing region or creating a new one to show the grid as default.

Thanks for that info about the region file, hert. I have found that mentioned elsewhere now as well. Don't know how I missed it.

Cheers, Jack

Yes, this could be very helpful in cluttered environment.

Regards
Darko
Different Coloured spline points for different types of splines ? Yes yes yes yes, been asking for this feature for donkeys years !!!!

Last edited:
LAYERS since 2006

TIP
Hiding a layer does not prevent objects from being copied or deleted by any copy/paste operations.

this morning i stumbled on a thread where layer problems occurred in picking/clicking assets not worked anymore.
I read again the Surveyor 2.0 guide and found this what I for sure would not call a TIP.

This has to be called a red hot warning that the command you use (for what I think it should do for me at least called hide/unhide) is a very dangerous one and only seems to be a visible hide.
Can someone explain to me what it means to them and how effective to have only a visible hide?
It freaked me out but knowing already for quiet a long time that the layers system is weak and unstabil if you not careful you are in trouble.
I use /used it extensively as it should allow you to organise things well in large and huge routes and even small routes too.
So hide and lock does not help a lot especially when you use 3D DEM baseboards and hide and lock them all the data on top you cannot click (problem older than trs19) or manipulate as warning appears a layer is locked unlock them please.
:eek:

Anyway just meant to share my old concerns on this one.

TIP
Hiding a layer does not prevent objects from being copied or deleted by any copy/paste operations.

Can someone explain to me what it means to them and how effective to have only a visible hide?

Hiding does just that, it hides a layer from view. This is actually quite useful both in Surveyor (to be able to get at objects behind, beneath or above other objects) and in Driver to create some additional novelty such as revealing or hiding scenery items when no longer needed.

To prevent objects in a layer from being deleted or moved, you use the LOCK option - the padlock icon next to the eye icon (which hides/shows the layer).

Well you not read fully or understand what i try to explain in my post, not only the header.
I am aware of my not native english deteriorating with age and living in a country where english is a sort of funny english if any at all.

eg lock does not work when you hide and lock and still want to work on the other visible assets you want to edit or whatever do with it.
The system tells you you cannot until you unlock what you just wanted to hide and lock.

Catch 22 sort off.

straighten spline i use a lot for tracks just before a switch to make smooth curve or straight still not hold as sticky. It resets at will making endless repairs like in Tane and TRS19 a repeating problem.
To my humble understanding of what straighten spline command means it should straighten and stay that way until I change it not until the program somewhere makes those undone.

refresh of the graphics display when heavy part of a yard gets very slow(refreshing) by times when system starts to do its thing. A go around that works 99% of time is use UDS and change to drive which than almost instantly shows all and than go back surveyor and see now it shows all too.:eek:
Other than that S2.0 is a true marvel in all aspects.
Tuning and finishing of course unfinished aspects will be the cherry on the cake.:mop:

Back