Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Can I add my tuppence worth? I am primarily interested in route building and I love the extra realism of HD Terrain. Couple of features that I'd love to see as and when (unless I'm being obtuse and just haven't noticed some options)...

1) Would it be possible to feather the edges of textures when using 'Painting Under Spline'. This can be done manually by reducing the sensitivity, but not - as far as I can see - using the automatic feature.

2) Is there a way to uncolour a previously coloured area using the paint tool? ie - an paint erase option.

I know the Bulk Update/Replace is being worked on for Surveyor 20. Alas - I have found that switching to the old Surveyor's Bulk Update/Replace doesn't work with HD terrain.

All these things though are minor and I constantly marvel at all the goodness my modest monthly subscription bestows upon me and my humble railway.

2) Is there a way to uncolour a previously coloured area using the paint tool? ie - an paint erase option.

I couldn't find any either and I don't think that ever existed. I select the grid texture and use the smallest brush, which is the actual grid texture size, and paint over the area I want to erase.

Is there a Bulk Replacement tool in Surveyor 2.0

Not yet.

There is a "Replace Object with Selected Asset" option in all context menus that works with multiple highlighted objects of different types but it will not do a "Bulk" replace throughout the entire route.

Not yet.

There is a "Replace Object with Selected Asset" option in all context menus that works with multiple highlighted objects of different types but it will not do a "Bulk" replace throughout the entire route.

Thank you and I take it that the Bulk Replacement is coming because you mentioned "not yet"?

Bulk Update/Replace is one of several Surveyor Classic features that have not yet been added to Surveyor 2.0 but, we have been told, they will be coming. One Classic feature, the advanced (Ctrl + Shift + F) search filter, has largely been replaced by the search filters in the Asset Palette.

I have another improvement suggestion for Surveyor 2.0, this time related especially to HD Terrain. We have these tools "Smooth ground" and "Paint under selected". Also, in HD Terrain the grid is more fine-grained. Currently, "Paint under selected" nicely respects the chosen "Radius" in "Tool options". In this way, we can easily paint nice stones right under the track. However, if we elevate the track slightly and want to make a nice bank, the "Smooth ground under selected" ignores the radius and always leaves a lot of space around the track (just like it were hard-coded into 10m/5m grid resolution). This makes very hard to do realistic banks.

smooth-ground.png

My suggestions:

- the two tools are next to each other, they should both respect "Radius" parameter
- "Smooth ground under selected" could also respect "Grade", because right now we can only get a very gentle grade of our banks. In reality, many banks are much steeper, and currently it is very time-consuming to do it - you basically have to put a ruler, smooth ground to that ruler and patiently move it by several meters along the track. Or you fallback to spline-based banks, which defeats the purpose of having HD Terrain in the first place.
- Finally: currently, the smoothed ground abruptly ends at the end of the track. Could we make a gentle ending that revolves around the final vertex?

I think that those three suggestion would make this tool both more powerful and more convenient to the users.

Also, on build 122411 I'm frequently observing game crashing while laying tracks in S20. Sometimes it works well for 1-2 hours, sometimes it can crash 3 times within 10 minutes. Every time, the scenario is the same:

1. I have 5m terrain grid
2. I'm laying the track and want to put the ending vertex,
3. I have a scenery object on the ground used as a template (in this particular scenario I'm using "station template 5.0m spacing 43 tracks 2000m length", <kuid2:263713:8146:1>, available on DLS). Important: the scenery object was already put and present in the saved route state, I'm only moving the same template over and over again.
4. I Shift-click on the ground very close or perfectly on the scenery template.
5. The game window immediately disappears, the game shuts down.
6. When I reload the route and I select "Use changes", I can see:
- some earlier editing state, the last tracks that I laid are missing (well, sad but expected),
- the scenery object that I clicked on is missing completely despite that it was present in the saved state.

It started right after updating to build 122411. Note: I have already reported this bug :)

Last edited:
My suggestions:

- "Smooth ground under selected" could also respect "Grade", because right now we can only get a very gentle grade of our banks. In reality, many banks are much steeper, and currently it is very time-consuming to do it - you basically have to put a ruler, smooth ground to that ruler and patiently move it by several meters along the track. Or you fallback to spline-based banks, which defeats the purpose of having HD Terrain in the first place.

This is a priority for me.

I've tried searching this forum to no avail, in relation to floating scenery items and I hope this is the correct place to stick this issue?

Starting with a new HD route, I've noticed that wherever I raise or lower ground and there's anything more than a gentle gradient, both scenery objects and splines float above the ground. Ordinarily that would be easy enough to fix with height adjustment but lineside, where I'd put most detailing, this is an arduous task.

I'm guessing this is a known issue but find it odd I can't find mention of it. Probably down to me searching in the wrong place though.

Cheers,
Innis

Back