Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Having said that, it would be nice if we could specify which asset-types we want to select since the same tools are used for many things. The various tools could have a filter attached to them with the different categories such as splines, tracks, scenery objects, etc.

You can. Change "Filter List" to "Filter Selection". This prevents you from selecting anything other than the items in your selection (i.e. listed in the Asset pallete)

So create a filter for the assets / asset type you want to select, or create a picklist with the items you want to select and filter on that.

Or for a one-off, use the Eye Dropper to get the item, r-click and copy the name into the search filter and change to "Filter Selection". Now only that one item can be selected or edited.

Last edited:
I'm going to try that now and see how it works.

Thank you for the solution.

That works! :D

Last edited:
How do we search for objects in Surveyor 2.0 by author? I have a number of author user ids memorized, but there's still quite a few I don't remember. :)

I can't find that in the manual.

EDIT:

I found a workaround, or maybe this is the solution to the problem I'm having.

Right-click on any asset in the Assets list.
Choose List Assets In New Window

(In, by the way, should be lower case here).

This brings up Content Manager with the asset listed.

Change the filter here normally as we would in Content Manager to show the author we're looking for. I did this to find Frank Dean's really awesome abandoned track and ties for a project I'm playing around with.

Last edited:
I figured out how to space track. In the olden days, we used to use the spline circles to align our parallel track. The problem now is this is no longer possible, at least right now, with Surveyor 2.0 but I have found a solution.

Place a single-track spline.

Place the second.

Once this second track has been placed, click on the end with the move-asset tool.

The small adjust-spline icon appears.

Adjust the spacing so that the icon lines up with the edge of the ties, or wherever else to suit your track spacing.

Sidebars, Icons and fonts

Since I have never used Surveyor, my input is limited to what would improvements to the interface that would make it better to use for me. I would like to have the option to hide the side panels (assets and Tools), expand the size of the panels, so you can read what's on the assets thumbnails. Have a Small, Medium and Large size for the Icons and also be able to choose different fonts sizes in the sidebars. Seems like I have to get new glasses every two years, maybe because I am retired and spend a lot of time using Blender and designing scenery objects for my simulators X-Plane and TRS 2022. Take care.

I find it very difficult to find the adjustment icon for trees. When you select the tree, it turns color and the adjustment tool blends into the background. I wish the adjustment icon would stand out more.

I figured out how to space track. In the olden days, we used to use the spline circles to align our parallel track. The problem now is this is no longer possible, at least right now, with Surveyor 2.0 but I have found a solution.

Place a single-track spline.

Place the second.

Once this second track has been placed, click on the end with the move-asset tool.

The small adjust-spline icon appears.

Adjust the spacing so that the icon lines up with the edge of the ties, or wherever else to suit your track spacing.

That works like a charm. Thanks for that tip.

I find it very difficult to find the adjustment icon for trees. When you select the tree, it turns color and the adjustment tool blends into the background. I wish the adjustment icon would stand out more.

Yes! I agree on this one as well and for all the assets because on larger displays, these icons are about the size of ants.

Yes! I agree on this one as well and for all the assets because on larger displays, these icons are about the size of ants.
\

Ning says no problem with ants we love their eggs sell for 600 bath per kg but of course seasonal only.
Personally yes they are very small but still ok on my screen if the resolution is high and crisp on not flicker.
It is still not too small for me and less annoying in the view if bigger.
The asset origine square rectuangle by times you need a dart technique to catch them sort off.

I figured out how to space track. In the olden days, ...
I used the track spacing guides.
and they still work just as before. Amazing how something that was a nice to have is becoming a need to use, at least for me.

I used the track spacing guides. and they still work just as before. Amazing how something that was a nice to have is becoming a need to use, at least for me.

Very true, Martin. I use spacing guides as well, but I need to remember to go back and pick them up afterwards.

\

Ning says no problem with ants we love their eggs sell for 600 bath per kg but of course seasonal only.
Personally yes they are very small but still ok on my screen if the resolution is high and crisp on not flicker.
It is still not too small for me and less annoying in the view if bigger.
The asset origine square rectuangle by times you need a dart technique to catch them sort off.

I agree those tiny squares are hard to grab sometimes.

Your ants must be bigger than mine. :)

Well that depends. If they are just my visual guides, like for turnouts, I place them in their own layer and hide or delete that layer if needed. If they are actual part of the track, then the big push-pin is surveyor only so that doesn't appear when driving. All that shows are the little concrete spacers and the small grid to support the coordinate value board. The concrete spacers help when placing two of my guides side by side.

When you zoom out the map, the overall view through the mouse scroll wheel, the game freezes, even in a classic editor. :( The only solution yet is ctrl + alt + delete and rely on backups!

I have a long train. I can select one car, then by holding the shift key I can select additional cars one by one. How do I select the entire train? I think I saw the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it now.

I have a long train. I can select one car, then by holding the shift key I can select additional cars one by one. How do I select the entire train? I think I saw the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it now.

Double click the consist.
Len

Double click the consist.
Len

Thats it. Thanks

Another question. In classic surveyor there is a feature I use a lot, but apparently isn't available in Surveyor 2. Under "settings, control settings, surveyor" there is a Search Panel options. One of the nice features of this option is that it has a drop down which gives you access to a group of files which contain often used assets. I have a file of trees, wildflowers, and textures.

Is this feature still a work in progress?

I have a new problem in build 116243 (It may have been in earlier builds, but I have updated them to current build).

I can no longer find the Tools Palette or the Tools Option Palette even though they are checked in the Windows menu. I have a second install of TRS22 and things are OK there. I can turn the Tools Palette on and off in the windows menu.

This may have happened because I was trying to resize the windows. Also, the asset menu on the lefthand side of the screen now only displays a half column of assets. I can't seem to stretch it so a full column of information is available.

The bottom line is that I no longer have access to the tools palette for building or modifying my routes.

I have a new problem in build 116243 (It may have been in earlier builds, but I have updated them to current build).

I can no longer find the Tools Palette or the Tools Option Palette even though they are checked in the Windows menu. I have a second install of TRS22 and things are OK there. I can turn the Tools Palette on and off in the windows menu.

This may have happened because I was trying to resize the windows. Also, the asset menu on the lefthand side of the screen now only displays a half column of assets. I can't seem to stretch it so a full column of information is available.

The bottom line is that I no longer have access to the tools palette for building or modifying my routes.

Uncheck and recheck the tools pallet and it will reappear. This is true for the others as well if they get hidden.

Back