Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread

Well you not read fully or understand what i try to explain in my post, not only the header.
I am aware of my not native english deteriorating with age and living in a country where english is a sort of funny english if any at all.

eg lock does not work when you hide and lock and still want to work on the other visible assets you want to edit or whatever do with it.
The system tells you you cannot until you unlock what you just wanted to hide and lock..

Ok, I may still not understand but I am not at my Trainz computer to check this out. From my knowledge of TRS19 you cannot lock or hide baseboards. I doubt this has changed in TRS22 but anything could be possible.

Secondly, when you lock or hide a layer you lock or hide everything that ls in that layer, no exceptions. You can select and lock individual objects (and the marquee tool in TRS22 may have extended that ability to multiple objects, I don't know) by creating a new and empty locked layer and setting the objects bound layer to the locked layer. Instructions for doing this can found in the Trainz Wiki page on Using Layers in the section called The Bound Layer.

pware don't get me wrong to be persistent to clarify little details:
a 3D DEM board equals the size of a baseboard and as such this 3D DEM 'baseboard" in its entirety covers the baseboard and you can move XYZ.
I do not remember me talking about baseboards as such so I assume you are not used to and or know this feature and asset type.
I have used this for many years and it is a very valuable asset for me for creating proto routes.
The problem starts when the mouse tries to identify any given asset within one baseboard and/or crossing it will almost always 98% fail and pick the underlying 3D DEM board even if this is a few meters underground.
One has to put it much deeper so the sensor of the mouse might not be triggered by it and take the asset wanted on ground or above level.
In that case I miss the purpose and usage of my 3D DEM board as it needs in most cases within a few mtr. beneath ground level.
This handicap may I call it makes the entire layer system (at least for me)with ONLY visible hide and lock functionality totally useless and misleading.
You want to be able to hide something because it obscures and or block an asset or assets you want to work on.
This means the entire data (Not only the graphics display) set of the hidden locked asset(s) should not interfere in any way.
BTW this makes the marquee feature a tool to be very careful with as it grabs anything also the not visible stuff.

Now that I am back with my Trainz TRS22 computer this is now making more sense.

pware don't get me wrong to be persistent to clarify little details:
a 3D DEM board equals the size of a baseboard and as such this 3D DEM 'baseboard" in its entirety covers the baseboard and you can move XYZ.
I do not remember me talking about baseboards as such so I assume you are not used to and or know this feature and asset type.

You are correct, it was the "DEM" part that I was not seeing and I am not familiar with that asset.

The problem starts when the mouse tries to identify any given asset within one baseboard and/or crossing it will almost always 98% fail and pick the underlying 3D DEM board even if this is a few meters underground.
One has to put it much deeper so the sensor of the mouse might not be triggered by it and take the asset wanted on ground or above level.

OK, I think I now have the story, hopefully.

I don't have anything like the DEM assets so I installed a 100m concrete slab from the DLS and placed in the route in a new layer which I locked. I then placed on top of the slab a number of small building assets, all in the route-layer which was not locked.

You are correct using the marquee tool selects everything, including the concrete slab. But:-

1. With everything selected (via the marquee tool) I hit the delete button and only those assets that were in the unlocked route-layer were deleted.
  2. Again with everything selected I used the Free Move tool and only those unlocked assets could be moved.
  3. The marquee tool does allow you to make a mass move of selected objects to another layer or to set their Bound Layer properties to another layer, such as a locked layer.

So all may not be lost. Try placing the DEM objects in their own layer and locking it.

Let me know of your progress here.

hi there,
at least good we are on speaking terms and talk about same things.
the problem is slightly more complicated as i organize pretty well my layers much less detailed coz of assets moving around on layers unwanted in the past but still have the major assets filtered thru layers.
DM boards also have their own layer and are most of the time hide n lock.
NOW here is one i try eg a trigger mark or signal I have now all on the track layer no more split for above mentioned reasons.
I want to delete a group of triggers using the marquee tool and yes have most layers hide lock but not the track layer. I not see how to tell delete trigger and or signal within.....
BTW the popup menu's have to be rearranged take to much space and if 2 menu's on left side, using pretty often; one is always to long taking space or i have each time to set the filter to something irrelevant just to get space.

is there any way to control the trigger radius on a track mark or trigger and make a route setting like 5 mtr i.o. default 20 mtr. now i not find where to change the radius individually or all.

PS. having a total blast using S20. Its potential is amazing and already total fun of using it even with many little critters of unfinished or wrong thought settings.

Last edited:
NOW here is one i try eg a trigger mark or signal I have now all on the track layer no more split for above mentioned reasons.
I want to delete a group of triggers using the marquee tool and yes have most layers hide lock but not the track layer. I not see how to tell delete trigger and or signal within.....

I often put track marks in their own layer but it must be below the layer containing the track - below as in the order of the layers from the top (route-layer where I have the track) down to the last layer in the Route Group. If the track layer is locked then selecting and deleting a set of track marks should not be a problem - but lock all other layers in case the marquee tool grabs other assets close to the track such as grass.

BTW the popup menu's have to be rearranged take to much space and if 2 menu's on left side, using pretty often; one is always to long taking space or i have each time to set the filter to something irrelevant just to get space.

My biggest problem with the panels/pallets is the screen size. I am using a laptop as my TRS22 beta test platform and I have to constantly scroll or minimise/restore them.

is there any way to control the trigger radius on a track mark or trigger and make a route setting like 5 mtr i.o. default 20 mtr. now i not find where to change the radius individually or all.

I assume that there must be a way. I will have a look later.

Yes.

I remember how to do this in the old Surveyor but haven't tried it yet in the new one.

Go to the triggers and track marks tab.

Place your track mark(s)
Click on advanced.
Type in the value you want. The default is 20.00
Click on Set trigger radius.
Click on your track mark.

This will set the radius to whatever value you want.

This also works with junction levers as well.

I remember how to do this in the old Surveyor but haven't tried it yet in the new one.

Figured it out. When you place a track mark there is a small green dot beside the mark. Click on the dot, hold the left mouse button down and move the mouse up or down. What I would like to see is a method of typing in a value for greater accuracy and the ability to transfer the value to other trackmarks. But one baby step at a time.

Figured it out. When you place a track mark there is a small green dot beside the mark. Click on the dot, hold the left mouse button down and move the mouse up or down. What I would like to see is a method of typing in a value for greater accuracy and the ability to transfer the value to other trackmarks. But one baby step at a time.

thanks a million how come I not saw that one.:hehe:

i tried it and indeed there is a green pixel click n drag to smaller size but not practical.
The classic version with set trigger eg 5 mtr u are 20 times faster so S20 and Classic once in a while are badly needed for productivity.

Last edited:
Interesting at first glance, especially a large brush is the basis. But I miss the creation of the water surface, the impossibility of filling or rewriting the terrain textures. The problem with creating objects is that they are constantly selected and after right-clicking or another key on the keyboard, the model remains constantly selected. Very small model icons (image), virtually invisible selection of the desired model or texture. I find it very complicated to copy and paste models.

The system draws on uploaded images of cdp files, but how does anyone find content they contain, although it might look like this:

Screenshot-12-03-2021-23-49-20.png

If you right-click on the thumbnail like the one your arrow points you could select "open" and "render preview" like you could do in the content manager. A popup window will open showing you the object rendering. You could let that window open and showing every object you'll select.

S20 has the ability to filter objects (including splines) so that you only have the ones you want to work with either showing or selectable.

See this section:
https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/using-the-asset-palette#filter-options

True.
But still - If I have track spline and roadbed spline and want to make some adjustment it is important that I see both spline points. Because they look the same (even clicking on spline point doesn't show any information in info window) I have to move it to see which is which. Not very cool. With color coding it would be too easy I guess.

Kind Regards
Darko

True.
But still - If I have track spline and roadbed spline and want to make some adjustment it is important that I see both spline points. Because they look the same (even clicking on spline point doesn't show any information in info window) I have to move it to see which is which. Not very cool. With color coding it would be too easy I guess.

Kind Regards
Darko

Exactly.

Tracks = green spline
Roads = Red,
Fences, grass, powerlines, catenary, etc. = yellow.

So much easier to figure out who and what is being selected. This is particularly very helpful in very confusing areas where there's a whole bunch of splines ranging from grass, powerlines, retaining walls, catenary, roads and track.

i tried it and indeed there is a green pixel click n drag to smaller size but not practical.

This is one issue I have with the new interface. The tiny pixels and text make things difficult for old, tired eyes. As mentioned before, under the feedback thread, contextual menus are helpful for such things as this because then there's no need to search around for an ant footprint sized icon to click on in order to adjust an object.

Hi John, hope you guys over there and all trainzer are in good health.
Yes the pixel thingie is something although i not mind the size as such as I have the needed big size 4k 65" samsung to make the work easier but i thelps more than a lot.
What is annoyinhg many times is when the mouse wanders over the landscape those black ant alike pixel pop up by the dozens and more and distract quiet a lot but let us work with it for a while and see what works best with this raw gem S20.
I cannot imgaine going back to the S10 anymore so many years of real real hardship and cursing than this is more than a blessing and I am sure many trainzers would agree.
Last night pretty cold here down to 9 and 11 and up on the mountain -1C daytime it climbs back to 25-30C easier for our old bodies and bones.
You all have a good day and fun like me with our new toy.:wave:

Last edited:
Hi John, ... i not mind the size as such as I have the needed big size 4k 65" samsung.....

Last night pretty cold here down to 9 and 11 and up on the mountain -1C daytime it climbs back to 25-30C easier for our old bodies and bones.

John and I are like next door neighbors relative to the worldwide scale of the Trainzer community members: Don't tell us 9 and 11 C is cold, lol, for us (-)15 C is cold. And that without a mountain.

65 inch monitor? 1.65 meters? I tried editing Trainz using my 73" TV and I could not manage the transition of looking back down at the keyboard. Good for showing off Driver to the guests though.

Hi Roy,

We're doing okay here. We're all hermits in my house and I spend my time piano playing and Trainzing. I wish it was 25 - 30C here. We won't see the temps like that until late April or May. Right now, we're about 1 to 2C, maybe 10 or 12 during the day with some temps dropping to - 2 or -3C at night. The pond behind me now has a permanent patch of thin ice on it and the ducks and geese have moved away.

I agree S2.0 is going to be great, but I don't have the room for a very large display and have to deal with a 32-inch max running at 1080p. This makes a big difference in the real estate and the size of icons and text. What would have been nice, and I guess this will never happen it seems, is to have the palettes completely loose and moveable on to a second display.

I also don't like moving across the map and randomly selecting assets along the way. I recommended in the feedback thread that there should be a cursor for moving about the map in addition to the tools. The purpose is so we can navigate without selecting or changing things along the way. Again, this is where contextual menus come into play. If and when we do want to select something, we can right-click on it and have the menus pop up. This of course is in addition to the tools themselves, and as someone else mentioned (I can't remember who), mouse-buttons should be customizable so that we can assign functions and actions, making the process even easier for those that want to do that.

layer system is troublesome

Dear N3V today i discovered a layer problem I have for so many years back to 2006'
The program drops assets without my knowledge or help on a totally different layer.
This time it is even worse I have my various consists I use in the Alyth C yard on a separate session layer(not on a route layer) and was hidden and locked.
I was working on tracks and sort of things and tried the ruler copy paste.
This resulted in a scary looking big marquee blanking all stuff so I use the emergency brake and do ctrl Z which means undo the last command.
I did zoom in on the ruler which was only small 6 mtr so should not be a problem but than I see a consist showing up on the track which should not be there.
I looked at the layer and it was on a layer I have not been using for ages and I not wofor a long time on power poles light antenna's layer!
So you tell me what causes the program to make a move like that and shake up my layer structure.
Lucky i did see this one and could "repair" and put on the session layer I devoted to only consists Alyth yard.
The bad news is, I by no means can check all assets and layers if other things moved that is insane work and undoable.

This strange behaviour I have witnessed since TRS2006 in ALL versions and the repairs done are uncountable.
I cannot believe I am the only victim of this "bug"

Hi Roy,

I agree S2.0 is going to be great, but I don't have the room for a very large display and have to deal with a 32-inch max running at 1080p. This makes a big difference in the real estate and the size of icons and text. What would have been nice, and I guess this will never happen it seems, is to have the palettes completely loose and moveable on to a second display.

I also don't like moving across the map and randomly selecting assets along the way. I recommended in the feedback thread that there should be a cursor for moving about the map in addition to the tools. The purpose is so we can navigate without selecting or changing things along the way. Again, this is where contextual menus come into play. If and when we do want to select something, we can right-click on it and have the menus pop up. This of course is in addition to the tools themselves, and as someone else mentioned (I can't remember who), mouse-buttons should be customizable so that we can assign functions and actions, making the process even easier for those that want to do that.

Yes i fully agree on a second display just for those things same for the driver; 1 display big for the scenery and one for the admin so to speak.
The marquee for me is a very sensitive touchy little thing i satay away from other than deleting B boards that worked great.
Another issue that might arise is for most non native english trainzers like me and older trainzers S20 and the naming conventions and wording becomes abacadabra.
I think even those native english have their head scaratched more than once thinking wth are they talking about what they mean as words and phrazes can so lightly be different interpreted.
I have that bad habit always think first what they meant not what i read.....
the wording palette is more for painters like me :hehe: I thought maybe drawers and or box like in the garage you have a toolbox with x amount of drawers but at the moment of none importance.

Well the layer system did it again man that is so painful to see.
Actually if the read if they will ask send us the route and stuff which is so big I not gonna do they have ALL my former routes where they can see how badly the layers got trashed and stuff like track or road end up on the treez layer etc etc. Since long time I start my layer system at the top always with SELECT that Fbeep LAYER and lock/hide it even now.
At least now we can see it when we work and in soft panic double check is it still the correct layer? Man I need paracetamol only for that every day.

I was working on tracks and sort of things and tried the ruler copy paste.
This resulted in a scary looking big marquee blanking all stuff so I use the emergency brake and do ctrl Z which means undo the last command.
I did zoom in on the ruler which was only small 6 mtr so should not be a problem but than I see a consist showing up on the track which should not be there.

My experience with rulers, TS12 and prior, is they were daemons of the underworld having the ability to covertly change layers anytime you make an asset deletion, or deleted one of their kind, and sometimes take nearby assets with them. Rulers are on layers, but have you noticed you cannot ask a ruler what layer it is on? Nor can you change its layer. Its all part of the their demonic mystique. My experience has also been they have stopped this demonic behavior since TANE, so anything you are bringing forward, from TS12 and prior, should first have all its rulers deleted in the Trainz version of creation (TRS2006 in your case) before dispatched to a TANE-based release. In my case, I could not bring my hobby route to TANE or TRS19 until I deleted all the rulers in TS12, and by hiding and unhiding layers, I learned they were switching layers at will as I was removing them, and sometimes taking a nearby asset with them.

Last edited:
@Deneban good to hear there are plenty more trainzers but not talk about it.
Although I did use sparcely rulers and always deleted them as they annoyed me more than being helpful.
Probably the delete asset does the underground underworld move other stuff around as part of organised chaos syndrome.
I try ever since to ignore these problems and they are really annoying but what can we do.
Response ever since is lacking so not on somebodies list as they have more than enough to do.
Yes all my routes layers look like I created chaos and had no clue what layers supposed to do.
See I think I had more than most trainzers and for sure N3V real inside in layer systems as I did run long long time ago architect and engineering offices and developed 3D integrated software dedicated to AEC and townplanning back in the late 70ies on mainframes later on workstations like Silicon Graphics and unix workstation and much much later also on pc based systems.
We did develop dedicated layer systems for all disciplines that did more than just the job and what we see here is diletantisch..
BTW no pun intended to the creators of layers if that is the correct wording. It is just a very different view and experience how things should work properly.

Last edited:
Back