Do I get TRS22 free if I already have Trainz Plus membership?

Paulsw2 -
How about a 2TB SSD drive as a Christmas gift for your computer? (for those userdata folders) :) Best gift your computer will get!

Last edited:
The clarity of the Surveyor Version 2.0 is not yet clear to me. Various example cited appear to each have clarity but there is a need for overall to comprehensive OFFICIAL clarification. The absence of Management on this subject is interesting. These marketing "adventures" are created but left to the interpretation of customers. Good marketing says Do Not Leave Pricing, Content, and Purchasing to the imagination of the customer. I do not trust anecdotal/unofficial information when spending money.

N3V should have stepped in here and clarified .

Thanks for all the replies.

Question: Can I install the TRS22 beta as a separate program on my SSD? I already have TRS19 installed on the same SSD. BTW I have never installed a Trainz beta before.

Bob

Yes... You can have as many installs as you like. I have a three TSR19 installs, a TSR22, and Tane. Check your myTrains account for a separate TS22 install (if you have PLUS). I make a folder named as I like (like "TSR22 Beta") and a userdata folder like "TSR22 Beta data" - then install the app into the TSR22 Beta folder, fire it up, re-point the userdata folder to your "TSR22 Beta Data" folder. You'll have to restart and set default graphics settings and user account when you point to the new data folder. Optionally, you can also try to copy/duplicate your current userdata folder naming it with the new name. Then do a DB rebuild. But for a Beta install I always re-install only what I'm interested in. (Run and Build for testing and trial only. Remember that TS22 is v5 build so it won't be compatible with anything less.)

Last edited:
Hello,

At the moment I am on annual Plus. It might not apply to me but I am just curious to know what it means "to keep TRS22 forever". Does it mean that others, non subscribers, will never have access to TRS22?
Does it mean that all further development is through subscription? For non-subscribers TRS19 will be the final stage?

And, what is forever? If there is no more N3V site to validate your account, you will have nothing, I fear.

"Forever" sounds like a marketing phrase.

I still like Trainz.

Regards,
Paul

Normally if you are on Subscription and you quit, your game is gone. That makes sense as you are on subscription. But the offer here is that if you do the subscription for a year (pay for a year), at the end of that year they won't "take away" the game if you quit the subscription. You "keep" the game as if you purchased it outright, even if you quit the subscription.

TRS22 is free for the next annual subscription renewal between now and December 2022. TRS22 will also be available for purchase (pre-orders are being taken now). In both cases it is yours, it won't disappear if you cancel your subscription later unlike some DLC content you have access to but not purchased.

Hello,

Thanks for the explanation. I can hardly remember that I purchased TRS19, it's been years, but that must be the point. I have only been on subscription for half a year, and so I could say I paid twice... But OK, I get "plusses" as an extra...
The good point then is that I can keep using TRS22 if I renew next year, even I do not purchase it. Ehhh, am I fooling myself? The price is about the same.
No free lunch.
Do not misunderstand me, I am quite happy with the arrangement. The only "minus" is the plethora of possibilities, which is almost as confusing as the way the game is distributed in all its varieties.
For instance: I would like to have access to all the assets that I am entitled to "use" without having to download GB's of routes that I am not interested in and do not want my database to grow by. (But that is off-topic, I apologize.)

Regards,
Paul

I currently have a silver (monthly) membership.

I have just changed it to an annual plus membership - *however* because of the billing cycle it won't actually change to plus until February 1st. Does the offer still apply, or not, given technically I haven't 'joined' plus membership until after the January 15th date?

Sorry but I looked around and couldn't find an answer to my particular situation. Thanks!

I currently have a silver (monthly) membership.

I have just changed it to an annual plus membership - *however* because of the billing cycle it won't actually change to plus until February 1st. Does the offer still apply, or not, given technically I haven't 'joined' plus membership until after the January 15th date?

From my reading of the various N3V posting on this matter (and I could be wrong) it seems that if you make the switch to the annual membership payment by the 15th Jan then you qualify. You have made the switch. But a message to the help desk may clarify the situation.

Is forever, forever, good quesiton !

Hello,

At the moment I am on annual Plus. It might not apply to me but I am just curious to know what it means "to keep TRS22 forever". Does it mean that others, non subscribers, will never have access to TRS22?
Does it mean that all further development is through subscription? For non-subscribers TRS19 will be the final stage?

And, what is forever? If there is no more N3V site to validate your account, you will have nothing, I fear.

"Forever" sounds like a marketing phrase.

I still like Trainz.

Regards,
Paul

Nothing is forever:

I have a " Lifetime " FTC but, in the small print, n3v it seems has scheduled my dimise to be in 2037 !

Good Luck

Wild Willy the Wacko

I have a " Lifetime " FTC but, in the small print, n3v it seems has scheduled my dimise to be in 2037

2037 is the Unix equivalent of the Windows/PC year 2000 bug. So the lifetime to 2037 possibly has more to do with dates beyond 19 Jan 2038 in Unix based systems.

From Wikipedia:-

The Year 2038 problem (also called Y2038, Epochalypse,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] Y2K38, Y2038 error, Y2K38 superbug or Unix Y2K) relates to representing time in many digital systems as the number of seconds passed since 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970 and storing it as a signed 32-bit integer. Such implementations cannot encode times after 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038. Similar to the Y2K problem, the Year 2038 problem is caused by an insufficient number of bits (digits) chosen to represent time.

Last edited:
I have just upgraded my monthly Trainz Plus membership to a Yearly Trainz Plus + Gold membership. The monthly foreign transaction fees that my bank was charging me for paying in $US was starting to annoy me.

Plus the total cost (about $US129 or $AU173) was less than today's grocery shop, which will keep two people, and a cat, going for just one week. The Trainz subscription will keep me going for a year+.

Since I upgraded to the yearly subscription before the Jan 15th deadline, I automatically qualify for a permanent standalone copy of TRS22 which will have S2.0 for as long as I keep the subscription, but will go back to S1.0 if I drop the subscription.

Last edited:
Man, this is all so confusing.

It is confusing, but the way I look at it is that an annual Payment of $129 gets me access to all the new features along with supporting N3V. For those like me who get a lot of enjoyment from TRAINZ I think it is a small price to pay for this hobby, and to help support in a small way it’s future.

I suspect that a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that the version of Trainz that you have and the features you get now depends on your username. In the past it depended solely on what you had installed.

This is not new. I have had (and still have) several programs that are free to install and use but if you pay a fee you get a registration code that unlocks additional features that are not available to unregistered users.

When I upgraded from TRS19 Platinum to Trainz Plus I was expecting to get a software update that would be downloaded and installed on my system to give me the new version. To my surprise when I started what I thought would be TRS19PE, instead of seeing the TRS19 logo, I saw the Trainz Plus logo.

I suspect that a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that the version of Trainz that you have and the features you get now depends on your username. In the past it depended solely on what you had installed.

This is not new. I have had (and still have) several programs that are free to install and use but if you pay a fee you get a registration code that unlocks additional features that are not available to unregistered users.

When I upgraded from TRS19 Platinum to Trainz Plus I was expecting to get a software update that would be downloaded and installed on my system to give me the new version. To my surprise when I started what I thought would be TRS19PE, instead of seeing the TRS19 logo, I saw the Trainz Plus logo.

This is confusing.

After I updated a couple of years ago, I went to My Trainz and downloaded what I thought was the new version and installed it only to see I had the same thing. When I saw the original install, I felt my stomach drop when I thought I screwed up and had to go through the helpdesk to straighten out a mess I had made. I didn't have to though after logging in and restarting the Launcher, my account updated, and I was at Plus.

Here is how I explain the process, using SP4 as the example:

If you purchased TRS19 (standard) then you will download and run the TRS19 SP4 installer and on starting the program you will see TRS19 as your installed logo and get the TRS19 (standard) features
If you purchased TRS19 Platinum Edition then you will download and run exactly the same TRS19 SP4 installer and on starting the program you will see TRS19 PE as your installed logo and get the TRS19 Platinum Edition features
If you purchased a Trainz Plus Subscription (monthly or yearly) then you will download and run exactly the same TRS19 SP4 installer and on starting the program you will see Trainz Plus as your installed logo and get the Trains Plus features. If you cancel your subscription then you will lose Trainz Plus until you restart the subscription again.

If you had TRS19 (standard) or TRS19 PE already installed and then upgraded to Trainz Plus (via the subscription) then when you start your installed copy of TRS19 you will see Trainz Plus as your installed logo and get the Trains Plus features. No additional download is required because all the Trainz Plus and TRS19 Platinum Edition features are already built into the TRS19 SP4 installer. If you cancel your subscription then your copy of Trainz Plus will become either TRS19 (standard) or TRS19 PE, depending on which version you upgraded from.

The same process will occur when SP5 is released. The one TRS19 SP5 installer, or the one SP5 update patch, will contain all the code needed to provide all the features for the three different SP5 versions - TRS19 (standard), TRS19 Platinum Edition and Trainz Plus. This installer (or patch) will include the Surveyor 2.0 interface but that will only be activated as a feature for those users who have the Trainz Plus subscription.

TRS22 has, I believe (or suspect), a separate installer program and it also has the Surveyor 2.0 interface built in but that will only be activated as a feature for those users who also have the Trainz Plus subscription. Without the subscription users will only see the Surveyor 1.0 (Surveyor Classic) interface.

My theories.

Back