Do I get TRS22 free if I already have Trainz Plus membership?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I am a bit confused by all the various membership/purchase options for Trainz.

I have been a member of Trainz Plus for a couple of years now. When TRS22 comes out do I get that free as part of my Trainz Plus membership, or do I have to purchase it separately?

Bob

From Tony's post:
We expect to have S20 Phase 1 completed early in 2022. Throughout 2022 we’ll be adding more features to S20, as well as a range of new Trainz features as part of our ongoing Trainz Plus updates. Note that only annual members get to keep TRS22. Monthly members, of course, will retain access for as long as they are a member

Note the last sentence above. Since S20 is a feature of TS22 I assume Plus members will have TS22 with Plus. I'm on Plus and I currently have access to TS22 through the Plus Beta stream. What may be confusing is the use of S20 (Surveyor 2.0) vs. use of "TS22." But again, the last two sentences confirm plus will include TRS22 (I think N3V is calling it simply TS22)

Last edited:
What isn't confirmed at the moment is whether or not TRS22 will actually include S20 or not. I'm rather on the fence about taking a year's membership due to this uncertainty.

What isn't confirmed at the moment is whether or not TRS22 will actually include S20 or not. I'm rather on the fence about taking a year's membership due to this uncertainty.

My TS22 beta certainly has S20 (and classic surveyor, you can choose to use either one.)
update: see next post - TS22 Plus includes S20. Pre-Order app alone does not include S20.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused by all the various membership/purchase options for Trainz.

I have been a member of Trainz Plus for a couple of years now. When TRS22 comes out do I get that free as part of my Trainz Plus membership, or do I have to purchase it separately?

Bob

Yes if you have an annual subscription. No, if you have a monthly subscription. Purchase an annual subscription before 15th January 2022 or renew an annual subscription before 1st December 2022 to qualify.

Last edited:
Just to clarify what I think may be a few points of confusion here (but I could be wrong on that).

If you have Trainz Plus, regardless of whether it is a monthly or an annual subscription, you will get the TRS22 update (under the name of Trainz Plus) with Surveyor 2.0 (S20) included. You can get it now if you are on the beta stream. If beta testing is not for you (and it does take nerves of steel and an ice-cool temperament) then you will get the non-beta TRS22 with S20 when the next normal Trainz Plus update is released.

If you are not a Trainz Plus user and buy the annual subscription before Jan 15th 2022 then you will get to keep TRS22 permanently. If you already have a monthly subscription and change to an annual subscription before Jan 15th 2022 then you will also get to keep a permanent copy of TRS22. If you already have an annual subscription and renew it by Dec 1st 2022 then you will also get to keep a permanent copy of TRS22. In all cases your Trainz Plus membership, with its regular new feature updates, will continue as long as you maintain the subscription. If you decide not to take up the annual subscription then your Trainz Plus membership, with its regular new feature updates including S20, will continue as long as you maintain the monthly subscription.

If you get the annual subscription, and your free copy of TRS22, and then cancel your Trainz Plus subscription you will still get to keep TRS22 BUT it will lose its S20 features (it will revert to Surveyor Classic). S20 is a feature of Trainz Plus only. So maintaining your subscription will maintain the S20 features in your permanent copy of TRS22.

Everyone is different. For some users this will be an attractive proposition, for others it will not. People will have different expectations and/or life circumstances. Opinions and views are welcome but please let this not become another flame war.

EDITS: Various to correct errors (on my part) and to clarify further.

Last edited:
Just to clarify what I think may be a few points of confusion here (but I could be wrong on that).

If you have Trainz Plus, regardless of whether it is a monthly or an annual subscription, you will get the TRS22 update (under the name of Trainz Plus) with Surveyor 2.0 (S20) included. You can get it now if you are on the beta stream. If beta testing is not for you (and it does take nerves of steel and an ice-cool temperament) then you will get the non-beta TRS22 with S20 when the next normal Trainz Plus update is released.

If you are not a Trainz Plus user and buy the annual subscription before Jan 15th 2022 then you will get to keep TRS22 permanently. If you already have a monthly subscription and change to an annual subscription before December 1st 2022 then you will also get to keep a permanent copy of TRS22. In both cases your Trainz Plus membership, with its regular new feature updates, will continue as long as you maintain the subscription. If you decide not to take up the annual subscription then your Trainz Plus membership, with its regular new feature updates, will continue as long as you maintain the monthly subscription. I currently have the monthly Trainz Plus subscription and will have until next December to make up my mind on getting TRS22 permanently. By then I would expect it to contain not only S20 but other new features or additional features and that will be a factor I will consider.

Everyone s different. For some users this will be an attractive proposition, for others it will not. People will have different expectations and/or life circumstances. Opinions and views are welcome but please let this not become another flame war.

I think what we don't know is what happens for those who get the subscription for a year so they can own TS22 and then quit the subscription. Will their copy of TS22 revert to a "Standard" edition without Plus features? One would think so. Perhaps by then there will be enough new features that N3V will declare S20 as a Standard option. But then, the subscribers will still be losing the latest newe features.... won't they? Wondering out loud. Luckily, I like my Gold plan and I plan on sticking with it. I don't have to worry about all that.

I think what we don't know is what happens for those who get the subscription for a year so they can own TS22 and then quit the subscription. Will their copy of TS22 revert to a "Standard" edition without Plus features?

Good question and one that I considered when I wrote my previous post but as I had no firm answer I decided not to add speculation. Only Tony can answer that one but it would be a very good PR move to give Plus annual subscribers a reward for their loyalty. Taking a clue from the TRS19 stand alone release where the TRS19 Platinum Edition contains the UDS, a feature of Trainz Plus, then perhaps the TRS22 permanent version for subscription holders, even expired ones, could be a TRS22 Platinum Edition with S20 included. Just a suggestion.

It would also be a future selling point for getting an annual subscription to Trainz Plus (TRS25).

EDIT: Further down near the bottom of the offer page is the following (snipped)

[h=3]What happens if I cancel my membership?[/h]

• Since S20 is a Trainz Plus feature, you will lose access to that feature

Last edited:
pware
The monthly membership must be changed to an annual one before 15th January 2022. The plus benifits stop if membership is cancelled. See the offer below from my trainz.

We’ve come a long way since December 2001 when the first Trainz Community Edition was released, and many of you have shared that journey since the very beginning.

Today, 20 years on from our very first public release of Trainz, we’re ready to celebrate with all our Trainz fans from around the world!

OFFER 1 - Enjoy Trainz Plus for 12 months, and keep TRS22 forever!
To Qualify:
Join either Trainz Plus or Gold Class annual membership, or update your existing membership to annual, between Dec 1 2021 and Jan 15 2022 and enjoy all the trs22 content and Trainz Plus features during your membership period.

Existing annual members, simply renew your annual membership between Dec 1 2021 and dec 1 2022 to qualify.

The Reward:
Enjoy all the membership benefits for as long as you remain a member.
Enjoy free access to TRS22 forever.

OFFER 2 - Enjoy all the Trainz DLC over the holidays!
To Qualify:
Own TRS19 SP4 or higher, or TRS22, or be an active Trainz Plus member.
(Gold and Silver members already have access to this content through Content Vault)

The Reward:
Download and install any items you choose through your in-game Trainz Content Store.
Access is provided free until January 15, 2022.
On Jan 15, log in to get your 75% Discount Code from MyTrainz (valid for use Jan 15-30, 2022).
Purchase any items you choose from the Trainz Store (code valid for one order only).
Or, join either Silver Class or Gold Class membership to continue accessing ALL the DLC content for as long as you remain a member.

OFFER 3 - $10 Store Voucher
Enjoy a $10 Discount on any DLC item (or items)! Enter the code below during Checkout to claim your discount.*

VOUCHER CODE
$10-20TH-ANNIVERSARY
* One use per account. Minimum spend $20. Only valid on DLC. Use in the Trainz Store prior to January 30, 2022. Voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

Last edited:
Yeah.. I had to breath deep to bring that up. But, really, there is no down side as if they bought TS22 outright they wouldn't have plus features anyway. But once someone has something and then it's unexpectedly gone... well, you know what happens. :)

pware
The monthly membership must be changed to an annual one before 15th January 2022. The plus benifits stop if membership is cancelled. See the offer below from my trainz.

Thank you - I managed to confuse myself. I will/have amended my previous post.

Also noted the following T&C on the offer page (snipped) regarding the TRS22 permanent copy available to Trainz Plus annual subscribers.

What happens if I cancel my membership?

• Since S20 is a Trainz Plus feature, you will lose access to that feature

I think you've got it all nailed - if not, please ask specific questions that I can answer for you.

For anyone else considering the TS22 membership - remember to check your discount codes in "my account!

Makes a significant difference....

Colin

Speaking as someone who took out an Annual Gold subscription on 29th November, I'm thrilled to discover I now have to wait until 30th November 2022 before I can access a free forever version of TRS22. I hope it'll be worth the wait! (Maybe they'll have it working by then, who knows?)

Paul

Speaking as someone who took out an Annual Gold subscription on 29th November, I'm thrilled to discover I now have to wait until 30th November 2022 before I can access a free forever version of TRS22. I hope it'll be worth the wait! (Maybe they'll have it working by then, who knows?)

Paul

As a gold member, you have access to it now with S2.0. When you get next year's membership you can keep it forever, but if you cancel membership you will lose S2.0.

Thanks stagecoach - I've noticed it's there as an install option in the 'Download Products' part of my Gold member account. I guess this will be a standalone alongside my TRS19 installation and I don't have a lot of space left on my SSD. Hmm, what to do?

Paul

Do you have a second drive? because you could move the data folder to that drive. The data folder is the biggest folder of the two that trainz installs.

Back