Welcome to TRS22 from the CEO

Dear Tony,
I have been with Trainz from the first days. I am now 84 and living in an assisted living complex.As you can see from my history, I have been very active with Trainz. The problem is that I purchased TRS22 and the download fails. The downloads here have had no problem, only with Trainz. I have the last of the intel based Apple MAC computers running OS Monterey 12.4. I checked and there is no firewall block in the system here, but the download always locks up, even at 3am.

One idea I have would be a flash drive for installation to by pass the download issue, extra cost would be acceptable. Please examine that option Tony.

Best wishes

Johnda1237

Has your drive got enough room for the complete download? It has two folders, one goes to your selected install drive and the other always to the C drive.

Has your drive got enough room for the complete download? It has two folders, one goes to your selected install drive and the other always to the C drive.

That would be a problem with the install process but he is having problems with the downloads not completing. The TRS19/Trainz+/TRS22 download files are quite large, 9GB to 17GB from my observations. These are much larger than most other software downloads - my download of the full LibreOffice installer, for example, was about 340MB by comparison. If his HDD does not have the space for the installer then that would certainly cause the download to fail.

One idea I have would be a flash drive for installation to by pass the download issue, extra cost would be acceptable. Please examine that option Tony.

I do not know how it works with Macs but the full Windows installer can be downloaded to anywhere. I have copies of the installer on external drives, and even on a home cloud server. Once it was downloaded I was able to run the installer from the external drive.

Check your HDD storage space. The installer, depending on the version, can take from 9GB to 17GB of space before it even starts to install the program.

As pware says - check your available disk space. A disk should have a good amount of "head room" also (free space) so I wouldn't download unless I had at least 25gb of empty disk.

Report back with disk space available.

Hi Folks,
Just checked and I have 180 GB free on my HD.

Where exactly are you downloading from? From what page and what link? If you are downloading from "MyTrainz" page and "My Digital Downloads" make sure you are downloading from the "Mac" button. Your browser is downloading the file so DO NO CLOSE THE BROWSER window (Safari?) untill it's done. You should be able to monitor the download in safari by clicking the Download icon in the top right corner (Down arrow icon). I just downloaded the file and its 10.39 mb. It will be in your "Downloads" folder unless you have specificied a different folder for downloads in your Browser setup (Safari)?

1611 Mac,

I have been doing everything as you said and watched the download lock up. I suspect the WiFi system ( This is an assisted living complex with WiFi). I tried 3am, same result. So, with the points I had, my download cost $50, and the program sits in my digital downloads hoping for better weather. My suggestion was to have a USB flash drive edition in order to obviate the download problem, but nobody responded.

I'm sorry, I doubt that N3V is going to make you a custom install on a USB flash drive and ship it to you from Austrailia to US.

Are you using Safari browser when you download your file? What are download statistics as you download the file?
If you don't know how to monitor this, get the download running and then click the down arrow icon at top right of screen (left most of four icons). It will show the progress and data rate of the transfer and the amount of data downloaded so far.)
1.) What is the name of file being downloaded?
2.) What is your data transfer rate?
3.) Does the download die at same place every time or is it random? Any error in this "status" screen?

Hi Folks,

Just checked and I have 180 GB free on my HD.

Is this disk space on your C drive or another drive? Trainz installs two folders, one on your selected install drive and the other bigger one, only installs to the C drive which can then be moved to another drive. The operating install is about 21.6GB while the Data install can be well over a 100GB.

Last edited:
Well, THAT was exciting! I was finally able to download TRS22. TRS22 is now installed and running smoothly. Thanks to everyone for trying to help. Much appreciated!

Well, THAT was exciting! I was finally able to download TRS22. TRS22 is now installed and running smoothly. Thanks to everyone for trying to help. Much appreciated!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:proof that there is nothing that forum users cannot solve!! (World Peace is still on the "to do" list)

I agree with Vern here. Charging players for access to new features is a total EA move. If it's helpful and essential, then why lock it behind a subscription wall? The Railworks devs don't do that. He's not really alone either as I find this to be pretty screwy. Also, speaking the truth is not outrageous either. It's outrageous that you shut Vern down for simply expressing his concerns over Trainz Plus, but it's not outrageous that Vern simply wants to know why it feels like the Trainz Community is being milked. At this point, you might as well just say that N3V Games should be increasing their dlc prices by $10.

Have I missed something between the 17th July and today (1st December)? Or is the above post misplaced?

Does nobody read things properly any more? It's the none sub copy that might not get Surveyor 2.

If you get the yearly Plus subscription Or Gold Plus Subscription you get Surveyor 2. It's perfectly clear here down the page a bit https://store.trainzportal.com/page...-90286893&mc_cid=aa92a52a1b&mc_eid=1ac89f446f

Plus users are already testing it........

That's literally the problem. Take a look at Train Simulator Classic for example. Updates are free, there are great dlcs, and more importantly, players who want to use helpful features are not forced to acquire a paid membership in order to have access to them. That's how you get players to enjoy the game they buy. But Trainz? Heheheh, you want access to very helpful features you can use in the game? Oh, sorry man, you gotta come out of your pocket every month just to use those helpful features and gain access to the game when you can just wait for reviews or buy it when it comes out. Yeah, free dlcs and all that is nice, but paying to retain access to really helpful features IS NOT NICE. It's like making someone pay just to breathe. This is supposed to be Trainz, made by N3V Games, not Starwars Battlefront II made by Dice and published EA Games. One thing I hate is paying for something useful that should already be in the game. It's like an EA Games thing. "Oh, you need Darthvader, but don't want to have to grind endlessly just to unlock him? Well, all you have to do is spend your hard-earned money on one of these lootboxes to try and unlock him. Gotta warn you though, you won't unlock him on the first try." That's what I hear every time I read the very first post on this thread. More money out of peoples' pockets, for features that we shouldn't have to pay for and should already be in the game. TRS22 is supposed to be the successor to 2019. When you make a sequel/new title, you change something about the Sequel to make it a Sequel. You improve the new title and have new stuff or retain the old stuff while still offering new stuff for a decent price. One thing I notice is people don't like to accept the cold hard truth about how business practices work. Yeah, the devs work hard, use people also work hard for our cash and as such, we expect to be treated fairly since we are the customers. DTG released TSW 3 when an update could have just been applied to TSW 2. I see the same thing with TRS19 and TRS22. Same game, different title. So, while I'm not hating or complaining, I'm just stating the truth, speaking Big Facts since no N3V Games fanboy wants to open up their ears and eyes and listen. N3V Games is doing great work, as I loved the UP GP40-2 in TRS22, but the money they get from dlcs should be more than enough to cover the cost of making a new title that should have just been a major update and new TRS19 dlcs.

Seems a bit entitled...

The one, and only thing, that bugs me about Surveyor 2.0 being behind a paywall is that supposedly you can (or will be able to) TYPE IN rotational angles of buildings.

For me that's an accessibility issue as with my dexterity I find it VERY hard to get that last decimal point exactly where I want it.

Want .6? Well you can have .4, .5, .7, or .8... Sometimes not even that. :mad:

Seems a bit entitled...

The one, and only thing, that bugs me about Surveyor 2.0 being behind a paywall is that supposedly you can (or will be able to) TYPE IN rotational angles of buildings.

For me that's an accessibility issue as with my dexterity I find it VERY hard to get that last decimal point exactly where I want it.

Not trying to be entitled, just speaking the truth man. If you buy a game, you should get access to every feature it has to offer. It's like charging players $20 every month just to use the TSC route and scenario editor. Trainz isn't a subscription service, it's a game. It's basically just TRS19 Re-released, remastered, whatever you want to call it. It's not improved or upgraded. Not saying the game is bad, it's just the membership, that's what I'm concerned with/questioning. You don't charge people every month to use helpful features that should already be in the game. It would be like charging players just to place trains on tracks or having players pay to reload their guns in Call of Duty games. Making players pay for important and helpful features is NOT how you attract more customers and expand your playerbase. It's how you DESTROY and DIVIDE your playerbase and also how you lose current customers, new customers, and future customers. Not a dev, but I've went through games like a mother. I have lots to review on Steam and Xbox, but I will say that to make a great game, you have to avoid getting ahead of yourself. N3V Games is not by any means a large dev team, but they should be well aware of how shady DTG is and should avoid going that route. Rockstar tried to pull a similar stunt with GTA. You think I want to feel entitled? No I don't. I'm entitled to all good things and to be treated fairly amongst humanity. But as a consumer, I am entitled to satisfaction. Now again, not being negative, entitled, bratty or any other human word that humans use to accuse people of being dongs, but I do believe it isn't fair to make everyone pay for an important and much needed feature that should be covered by 220+ dlcs being purchased by various consumers from around the world. I try to understand where the devs come from, but in this case, all I see is excuse after excuse from N3V Games.

Seems a bit entitled...

Also, I do have my fair share of annoyances with S20/2.0, but the only one that I can really legitimately be mad at is the fact the "Edit Trains" option is removed. It pisses me off since it's the easiest way to place trains on a route during sessions.

Also, I do have my fair share of annoyances with S20/2.0

I am loving S20. At the moment there are still some things in the original Surveyor (S10) that I find easier to use than S20 but when S20 was released it was made very clear that it was a WIP and that additional features were coming. This includes keyboard shortcuts which currently makes some operations in S10 faster.

but the only one that I can really legitimately be mad at is the fact the "Edit Trains" option is removed. It pisses me off since it's the easiest way to place trains on a route during sessions.

I have to disagree. TRS19 Platinum, Trainz Plus and TRS22 have the UDS interface which, IMHO, is a far more powerful option than "Edit Trains" ever was.

Back