Welcome to TRS22 from the CEO

Four years into this route , had a major issue a year back, I don’t want any more .given the issues some people had on 2019 sp3
and four , I prefer to stick with tane until it’s completed , I know it’s quirks and I’ve used early version of 2019 to do timber ridge , Mac users can’t take full advantage of 2019 anyway , if and when I complete the route will be the time to move it to 2019, And as I dont subscribe nor do I intend to do so , surveyor 2 is not on my horizon , id never use a beta in a work in progress anyway and as my routes are freeware I’d like as wide a number of people to be able to use them as possible .

Last edited:
I'm late to this thread, but a couple of points. First - congratulations to N3V for Trainz 20th anniversary. I've been here for 16 of those years and it's given me immense pleasure (as has been part of this community). Second, N3V is a commercial entity so it has to make money to survive. So this year, instead of just renewing my First Class Ticket, I upgraded to an annual Gold subscription. Sadly, I did this on 29th Nov, so not sure I'm eligible for the TRS22 'for ever' offer for another year, but the point is that I hope N3V plough my subscription money back into the business to build up Trainz further.

Finally, a couple of questions:
  1. Is the TRS22 installation separate from the existing TRS19/Plus installation for Plus and Gold members or is it an overlay for the existing installation? (I ask as I don't have enough disc space for two separate Trainz installations each with a complete 'local' folder.)
  2. Re. the Liskeard and Looe route - part of my motivation for upgrading to Gold membership was to access the mysterious Class 47 and Mk1 carriages apparently bundled with this route. However, it doesn't appear to be present in the Content Store. Does anyone know where it's gone?

Otherwise, it's all very exciting and I look forward to seeing Surveyor 2.0 (even if it is in a year's time)!

Paul

OK. Let me ask y'all one thing about 22.

Are there plans to eventually included S2.0 as part of the base game on down the road and not locked behind a subscription paywall? If so, then I'll gladly wait it out. Otherwise, I will stick with 19 for as long as I can.

Are there plans to eventually included S2.0 as part of the base game on down the road and not locked behind a subscription paywall? If so, then I'll gladly wait it out. Otherwise, I will stick with 19 for as long as I can.

From my reading (and I have been known to be wrong - frequently!), S20 will become "mainstream" in a future stand-alone non-subscription release of Trainz but not TRS22. But if you have a subscription to Trainz Plus and get the TRS22 "for ever" option then S20 will be active in TRS22 for as long as you have the subscription. If you opt out of the subscription then S20 in TRS22 will revert to S10 or Surveyor Classic as it is called. So, in your case, I would opt for the TRS19 for a while longer.

I do not know if the non-subscription TRS22 has the UDS interface, a feature found in Trainz Plus (TRS19 and TRS22) and the stand-alone non-subscription TRS19 Platinum Edition. If, as shown in your timeline, you have the standard TRS19 then you do not have the UDS. The UDS is a feature that I really like and it was the reason why I went for the Platinum Edition rather than the standard TRS19. If non-subscription TRS22 does have the UDS and I currently had T:ANE or just TRS19 (standard) and was looking to upgrade to something without a subscription then I would certainly go for TRS22.

Just my thoughts.

this element of baiting, apparently just for the sake of it , is pointless .

It is sad. Its like the little wimpy guy in the school playground "bouncing" between the two biggest meanest guys he can find and telling each lies about what the other has said about them. Then standing back to watch the fight. So sad.

Re. the Liskeard and Looe route - part of my motivation for upgrading to Gold membership was to access the mysterious Class 47 and Mk1 carriages apparently bundled with this route. However, it doesn't appear to be present in the Content Store. Does anyone know where it's gone?

It is certainly part of my Trainz Plus (TRS22) package. I installed it with the first beta release about a month or so ago and it (the Liskeard to Looe route and/or sessions) was "buggy". I reported the bugs and after the latest beta update it appeared as an Update in my Content Store list. I downloaded and installed the update and the bugs had been fixed. The route and sessions are advertised as part of TRS22 so it should appear in the content store, possibly under "Purchased".

From my reading (and I have been known to be wrong - frequently!), S20 will become "mainstream" in a future stand-alone non-subscription release of Trainz but not TRS22. But if you have a subscription to Trainz Plus and get the TRS22 "for ever" option then S20 will be active in TRS22 for as long as you have the subscription. If you opt out of the subscription then S20 in TRS22 will revert to S10 or Surveyor Classic as it is called. So, in your case, I would opt for the TRS19 for a while longer.

I do not know if the non-subscription TRS22 has the UDS interface, a feature found in Trainz Plus (TRS19 and TRS22) and the stand-alone non-subscription TRS19 Platinum Edition. If, as shown in your timeline, you have the standard TRS19 then you do not have the UDS. The UDS is a feature that I really like and it was the reason why I went for the Platinum Edition rather than the standard TRS19. If non-subscription TRS22 does have the UDS and I currently had T:ANE or just TRS19 (standard) and was looking to upgrade to something without a subscription then I would certainly go for TRS22.

Just my thoughts.

Waiting it out it is then.

Here's hoping for some compatibility between 19 and 22. Otherwise everyone (me included) who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon will be locked out of any new freeware content that gets released.

Also, what's UDS? This is the first time I'm hearing of it. As for which version of 19 I have, I have the USA edition. I was short on cash after building my new PC and USA was the Cheapest available on steam. ^^;

Also, what's UDS? This is the first time I'm hearing of it. As for which version of 19 I have, I have the USA edition. I was short on cash after building my new PC and USA was the Cheapest available on steam. ^^;

Then you probably have the TRS19 Standard version. The UDS allows you to jump instantly in both directions between Surveyor and Driver without having to restart Druver from the beginning everytime. It has been a long requested feature.

Details can be found on the Trainz Wiki at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface

Regarding being locked out of freeware content, this would only apply to routes and session created using TRS22 which uses build 5.0 and cannot be loaded into TRS19 and earlier versions. Other assets (locos, buildings, etc) will not be affected.

I'm late to this thread, but a couple of points. First - congratulations to N3V for Trainz 20th anniversary. I've been here for 16 of those years and it's given me immense pleasure (as has been part of this community). Second, N3V is a commercial entity so it has to make money to survive. So this year, instead of just renewing my First Class Ticket, I upgraded to an annual Gold subscription. Sadly, I did this on 29th Nov, so not sure I'm eligible for the TRS22 'for ever' offer for another year, but the point is that I hope N3V plough my subscription money back into the business to build up Trainz further.

Finally, a couple of questions:
  1. Is the TRS22 installation separate from the existing TRS19/Plus installation for Plus and Gold members or is it an overlay for the existing installation? (I ask as I don't have enough disc space for two separate Trainz installations each with a complete 'local' folder.)
  2. Re. the Liskeard and Looe route - part of my motivation for upgrading to Gold membership was to access the mysterious Class 47 and Mk1 carriages apparently bundled with this route. However, it doesn't appear to be present in the Content Store. Does anyone know where it's gone?

Otherwise, it's all very exciting and I look forward to seeing Surveyor 2.0 (even if it is in a year's time)!

Paul

As far as I know Paul if you have an annual subscription you qualify for a copy of TRS22. If you don't have a download link for TRS22 in your 'My Trainz' pages then it would be worth putting in a help ticket and asking for this to be done.
TRS22 is a separate install and not an update for TRS19. I have both TRS19 SP4 and TRS22 Beta on my D: drive and they are quite independent of one another.

Waiting it out it is then.

Here's hoping for some compatibility between 19 and 22. Otherwise everyone (me included) who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon will be locked out of any new freeware content that gets released.

Compatibility. A new version is usually not backward compatible, but those assets made in a previous version can be used in the new version. This is no different than any other software package. The reason for this is due to feature changes within the software itself that are not compatible with older versions.

What is UDS?

UDS started as a feature available only to those with PLUS and is now part of Platinum. UDS, or Universal Driver and Surveyor, allows the end-user to jump directly from Surveyor into Driver, thereby eliminating the extra step of going out to the menu and coming back in to run a driver session, or using the now obsolete quick drive method. Since this is the full route with a train placed, such things as signal setups, RC and ATLS crossings can be tested. Once tested, choosing Surveyor again puts the user back into Surveyor for regular editing. Since this has been implemented, many of us have found this indispensable for this and was a feature we asked for many, many years ago.

The same can be done while in Driver. In this case, errors can be repaired, or AI drivers untangled, on the fly without needing to stop, exit, and go through the menu to Surveyor to fix something, then return back in using the same method. Gone are the days of jotting piles of notes on scrap paper as we find things that need fixing as we drive along on our routes. Trees can be moved out of the way, signals moved, tracks adjusted as we jump back and forth between Driver and Surveyor on the fly.

There are somethings to consider when doing this such as the new starting point of the AI drivers, their command queues, and industry configurations. Because of that implication, saving route and not the session is more than highly recommended.

if well informed TRS19 SP5 would have 5.0 too.
And yes UDS is most useful for route/session builders.

Last edited:
Though what dose it do that the base game don't?
As I understand it, the Unified Driver Surveyor allows to to alter things in a route while you're driving, without having to quit and go into Surveyor.
Basically, if you're chugging along your route and you find that a group of trees is encroaching on to the track, or you need to add something, you can do it immediately, save your changes and unpause your session and drive on. Quite a game changer if you're like most Trainzers and like to tinker around with routes!

As I understand it, the Unified Driver Surveyor allows to to alter things in a route while you're driving, without having to quit and go into Surveyor.

Not quite. You still have to exit Driver and start Surveyor but after editing your route/session in Surveyor you can go back into Driver and continue at the point where you left it.

This only works because the positions of all consists are now saved in the Session instead of the Route. This can cause problems for users if they are not careful in how they save their work after using the UDS to jump between Driver and Surveyor.

See the Trainz Wiki page at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface for the good and the bad news.

As far as I know Paul if you have an annual subscription you qualify for a copy of TRS22. If you don't have a download link for TRS22 in your 'My Trainz' pages then it would be worth putting in a help ticket and asking for this to be done.
TRS22 is a separate install and not an update for TRS19. I have both TRS19 SP4 and TRS22 Beta on my D: drive and they are quite independent of one another.

I updated a separate TRS19 Plus install I use for testing to TRS22, using Plus Beta Stream, just need to change the shortcut as TRS19.exe no longer exists and has been replaced with TRS22.exe. For those without any space I would suggest backing up the TRS19 install and User Data to an external USB before updating, so you can revert if it doesn't go well or you don't like it.

I updated a separate TRS19 Plus install I use for testing to TRS22, using Plus Beta Stream, just need to change the shortcut as TRS19.exe no longer exists and has been replaced with TRS22.exe. For those without any space I would suggest backing up the TRS19 install and User Data to an external USB before updating, so you can revert if it doesn't go well or you don't like it.
Thanks Malc for correcting my mistake. I thought that TRS22 could only be a new install and not a beta upgrade to an existing TRS19 install.

Congrats on the 20 year anniversary!

I might take the bait for the TRS22 plus subscription. Wish that S20 had the "forever" label behind it also, but it might be still useful as bait for us Trainzers who are reluctant to keep subscribing.

(I've been Trainzing since about 2008.)

Straighten track resets at will
>>
Not it doesn't (unless you can provide the steps to demonstrate that it does. The key here is that you cannot have two consecutive straightened sections, so if you straighten one segment then the next, the first one will be undone.

There have been bugs in the past with bridges and fixed track an things losing their straighten, but as far as I know those issues are fixed.

Regarding locking, you are only prevented from editing the locked items directly. Other edits, such as raise ground, will affect the locked layers. You can lock all ground edits by locking the top route layer.

Back