Welcome to TRS22 from the CEO

And therein lies the problem. Our costs aren't covered by 6 cents a day, so the team remains small, and things take longer to implement.

If we factor in the money I put into the KickStarter, that would probably kick it up a few more cents per day, even this long after the event.

I'll wait until there is a package with the features I want that appeals to me at a price I can afford. That's the reality of having to cover my costs rather than spend money on a product that is essentially a luxury.

I've been looking at the routes included in my TRS22 Plus beta. Two of them are absolutely outstanding in every respect and I've pm'd the creators to congratulate and thank them. Those two guys will probably end up being the ones who get N3V my year's subscription money. As for the other routes some of them are just straight up poor, some have no proper sessions, some are visually stunning but totally ruined by poor trackwork and quite a few are decent, but again marred by terrible and unrealistic trackwork. Obviously just my opinion and it's subjective.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the routes included in my TRS22 Plus beta. Two of them are absolutely outstanding in every respect and I've pm'd the creators to congratulate and thank them.

weevil, thank you for the appreciation of my work. I hope to please you with new products more than once.

Regards, Oleg

Last edited:
really don't see the point of trainz 22 when S2.0 isn't included in the base product, meaning 22 is really just 19 SP6 with some more content. also funny seeing everyone flame vern for daring to be opposed to a game that still thinks it has the moxy to flaunt a subscription service that people inexplicably pay real money for while giving people access to tools that should just be in the new game at base. just wait to release 22 until S2.0 is finished being tested lmao

I've been looking at the routes included in my TRS22 Plus beta. Two of them are absolutely outstanding in every respect and I've pm'd the creators to congratulate and thank them. Those two guys will probably end up being the ones who get N3V my year's subscription money. As for the other routes some of them are just straight up poor, some have no proper sessions, some are visually stunning but totally ruined by poor trackwork and quite a few are decent, but again marred by terrible and unrealistic trackwork. Obviously just my opinion and it's subjective.
I saw the UK route is Liskeard to Looe. However unless it includes part of the Cornish main line, it is a short (around 8 miles) branch line. Yes, very scenic but operationally limited to one train working, even if the Moorswater freight spur is included. Once you've been up and down a few times not much else to do.
No proper sessions brings me back to TSW2 and the recent Season Pass. £35 bought three long routes, London to Brighton, Dresden to Riesa and Boston to Providence all of which have extensive timetables covering most of the days operations.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Windows 7 is minimum specification... but, then there is this:
  • Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 at the start of 2020.

I'm not paying $60 for a rebranded TRS19 with an identical game engine with new content and bug fixes. I can get DLC, routes, and locomotives from the trainz store any time I want. I expect something more than MPS to convince me to "upgrade". Also, does TRS22 fix the ugly lighting bug? Jagged shadows? Poor performance on low spec devices and overall low optimization? If it did something significant like that, I could consider it. There just isn't anything significant on the standalone version that I want compared to what I already have. I can take or leave the new routes and 1000 scenery items. But If N3V is going to call this TRS22 (and not TRS19 SP6), and expect me to buy it, I think a little more is needed, and S20 is exactly that.

Last edited:
And what about for people like me who didn’t buy TRS19, and stuck with TANE?

The forums as of late are just filled with people complaining nonstop. However, all of us should be thankful that Tony and crew are even able to consistently make new versions of Trainz. I don’t think many of you realize that N3V isn’t that big, but for them to grow bigger, they have to make money, and as a video game developer, making a new game will always rake in the most profits.

I have preordered TRS22, and do have plans to download the beta soon. Although Surveyor 2.0 isn’t included, I do hope that by SP3 it is included. However, I think that the game in general will be a massive upgrade, and I’m glad that I didn’t accidentally buy TRS19 when the new Trainz version is coming out.

Also, if I’m being perfectly honest, even if I had a Windows PC, I’d still buy Trainz over anything Dovetail Games makes, as Trainz has an incredible route creation tool, and thousnads upon thousands of high quality, free assets, regardless of if they had PBR.

Just something to think about.

I invested the $70 USD just for the continuing support of N3V, just for being there and keeping Trainz alive. Any company needs a periodic injection of revenue to stay alive. If God forbid they were to announce they are to close their doors permanently after TRS22 and shutdown 20+ year legacy of Trainz, how many of us would be so critical? Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have until its gone.

Last edited:
I saw the UK route is Liskeard to Looe...

Liskeard to Looe? This is available on the DLS by Marky7890. Is the payware version that's included with TRS2022 identical to the freeware version?

Rob.

The forums as of late are just filled with people complaining nonstop. However, all of us should be thankful that Tony and crew are even able to consistently make new versions of Trainz. I don’t think many of you realize that N3V isn’t that big, but for them to grow bigger, they have to make money, and as a video game developer, making a new game will always rake in the most profits.

Those of us who have been around for the 20 years are well aware of the parameters that first Auran and then N3V had to work under. I don't think Tony is suggesting that N3V is going to disappear, I'm sure that many people who don't post in the forum will take the subscriptions offer up.

However, Vern and I, who I think have a few versions between us, with no ill will intended have just stated why we will not be leaping in immediately. This is information that N3V can either choose to accept or to ignore.

Last edited:
Liskeard to Looe? This is available on the DLS by Marky7890. Is the payware version that's included with TRS2022 identical to the freeware version?

It is not payware, it is an included (part of the package) DLC route plus 3 sessions. So technically it is "free" DLC.

The original, by Marky7890, has been upgraded with some better scenery, effect layers, etc. There is a session on the DLS, Looe to Liskeard Passenger Run (two versions), which I created. This plus two other sessions are include in the DLC route.

#92 Amigacookie - I wasn’t necessarily talking about you and Vern. I know that you two have been with Trainz for a while (unlike me), and that neither of yoh were intentionally rude. I was mostly talking about the users in the “TRS22 Confirmed” who were acting as if they knew everything, and that TRS22 was a ripoff. I preordered TRS22 because I didn’t own TRS19, and decided to splurge. If you don’t want to buy it, that’s your decision, and I’m glad that you haven’t complained about how TRS22 will be using old assets.

its different with us, however, as I have been playing trainz for many years, and already own TRS19, and I'm expecting a more significant upgrade from the previous. I have no intentions on being rude or sarcastic in my posts. I am, however, very disappointed with the progress (and overall change in their business model) N3V have made over the past 3+ years since TRS19.

Last edited:
Those of us who have been around for the 20 years are well aware of the parameters that first Auran and then N3V had to work under. I don't think Tony is suggesting that N3V is going to disappear, I'm sure that many people who don't post in the forum will take the subscriptions offer up.

However, Vern and I, who I think have a few versions between us, with no ill will intended have just stated why we will not be leaping in immediately. This is information that N3V can either choose to accept or to ignore.

A good response. Unfortunately it can often be the "tone" of a post that can be misconstrued.

I have no problems with people posting opinions that TRS22 or the subscription system is "not for them". Each of us is different (thankfully) and have different expectations, life experiences and circumstances. Its the posts that then carry on about how N3V is destroying the "game/sim" by its policies or how much better the opposition products are that annoy me. I know that they are also just posting opinions but based on what? I doubt that many (if any) of the posts claiming N3V is heading for failure, because they are not listening to that particular individuals views, are based on a detailed knowledge of running a gaming software development company. But they are still entitled to hold an opinion its just that some opinions have a basis in reality while others do not.

I was skeptical about the Trainz Subscription until 3 months ago when I decided to try it for at least a year. So far I have not been disappointed, an assessment based on my expectations and experiences.

I will not be jumping in and purchasing TRS22 because I currently have a subscription to Trainz Plus, as TRS22 is effectively "built into" Trainz Plus. I realise that that only holds true while I maintain the subscription. If I drop the subscription then my Trainz Plus (with TRS22) will revert back to TRS19 Platinum Edition (which I own outright). I doubt I will take up the offer of getting an annual subscription just to get TRS22 outright for the same reason, but I have until Jan 15 to decide. I don't know what TRS22 will offer (without the continuing subscription) that TRS19 PE and Trainz Plus (with subscription) already have. That will be another factor in my decision.

Conclusion: each user will have totally different and totally valid reasons for doing this or not doing that. I think we all want to see N3V survive and the Trainz line (pun?) of products continue. I do worry, as Tony has pointed out in a post a while back, that all the negativity (and by that I do not mean constructive criticism) can be morale sapping.

My opinions.

#92 Amigacookie - I wasn’t necessarily talking about you and Vern. I know that you two have been with Trainz for a while (unlike me), and that neither of yoh were intentionally rude. I was mostly talking about the users in the “TRS22 Confirmed” who were acting as if they knew everything, and that TRS22 was a ripoff. I preordered TRS22 because I didn’t own TRS19, and decided to splurge. If you don’t want to buy it, that’s your decision, and I’m glad that you haven’t complained about how TRS22 will be using old assets.

Believe me I'm delighted that you have ordered it, nobody has to justify why they are or why they are not taking up N3V's latest and greatest.

There's a long standing tradition on the forum that the previous version is always better than the present one, even though users used to complain loudly about the previous one :)
I've found the ignore function to be an excellent preventative against those who can't tell the difference between criticism and abuse.

Last edited:
I will join Vern to go and sit on the "Naughty Step" but that's only because this is totally the wrong time of year for me to be spending money on myself. Our household budgets mean that in addition to a couple of birthdays and Christmas to pay for, the period November to March has a few heavy bills to settle. I am now getting close to pension age and, with having been cheated out of my final salary scheme, I'm trying to make sure we don't struggle financially as we get into old age.

I have always supported Trainz since the very first 3D Locomotive "renderings" from the "Brew Crew" appeared, long before Auran's Trainz appeared and I was one of the very first customers for the AUD20 programme. I remember the financial troubles and Trainz very nearly running out of puff before the rescue plan so I will probably put my hand in my pocket again when I can. However, if when I can afford it, the introductory offer has gone and the price is higher, I will have to weigh it up carefully.

The way I see it is this:
I paid about £35 for TRS2019. Add the £25 or so I paid for a First Class Ticket (and without the FCT, Trainz is annoying when you need to download any DLC) so the £55 for a year's subscription isn't too bad. As that year comes to an end, you can decide whether to back out of subscription and keep TRS2022 to "play with" or carry on subscribing and enjoy the First Class Download Speeds and continued use of Surveyor 2. It isn't cheap, but neither is Microsoft's wonderful Flight Simulator (the other hobby I enjoy). I'm sure Tony Hilliam and the N3V managers have worked out how much they need to charge in order to recoup development costs and ensure continuous support.

So, I'm sitting on the Naughty Step but not for too long, I hope!

A good response. Unfortunately it can often be the "tone" of a post that can be misconstrued.

I have no problems with people posting opinions that TRS22 or the subscription system is "not for them". Each of us is different (thankfully) and have different expectations, life experiences and circumstances. Its the posts that then carry on about how N3V is destroying the "game/sim" by its policies or how much better the opposition products are that annoy me. I know that they are also just posting opinions but based on what? I doubt that many (if any) of the posts claiming N3V is heading for failure, because they are not listening to that particular individuals views, are based on a detailed knowledge of running a gaming software development company. But they are still entitled to hold an opinion its just that some opinions have a basis in reality while others do not.

I was skeptical about the Trainz Subscription until 3 months ago when I decided to try it for at least a year. So far I have not been disappointed, an assessment based on my expectations and experiences.

I will not be jumping in and purchasing TRS22 because I currently have a subscription to Trainz Plus, as TRS22 is effectively "built into" Trainz Plus. I realise that that only holds true while I maintain the subscription. If I drop the subscription then my Trainz Plus (with TRS22) will revert back to TRS19 Platinum Edition (which I own outright). I doubt I will take up the offer of getting an annual subscription just to get TRS22 outright for the same reason, but I have until Jan 15 to decide. I don't know what TRS22 will offer (without the continuing subscription) that TRS19 PE and Trainz Plus (with subscription) already have. That will be another factor in my decision.

Conclusion: each user will have totally different and totally valid reasons for doing this or not doing that. I think we all want to see N3V survive and the Trainz line (pun?) of products continue. I do worry, as Tony has pointed out in a post a while back, that all the negativity (and by that I do not mean constructive criticism) can be morale sapping.

My opinions.

An excellent post.

If I've become a Trainz 'hater' it's taken all awful lot of years and an awful lot of pound sterling to come to that decision ;)

I still have a line that sits in the back of my mind awaiting the time and dedication to create it. My impending retirement means the time may soon be available, but the consequential decrease in income mean the pennies will have to be carefully counted. Hence my rather 'Scrooge' like attitude to new expenditure.

I paid for a First Class Ticket (and without the FCT, Trainz is annoying when you need to download any DLC)

Anything from the Trainz Store, i.e. any DLC or digital software download, will always be sent out to you at the fasted possible speed regardless of whether you have an FCT or not. An FCT is only of benefit when you are downloading from the DLS.

A recent change by N3V now means that all DLS assets that are referenced by DLC are now included in the DLC package itself. So you get ALL the assets (DLC + DLS) in the one download at the maximum possible speed.

Back