Thoughts on Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022

STLF4003, Think of it this way: Buy 22 for $69.99, or buy a year of Plus for 69.49 and get 22 into the bargain. At the end of the year drop Plus and Keep 22. SWEET! You just saved 50 cents (American) on 22 and got a whole year of Plus. What's not to like?

All these people whining about the cost makes me crazy. Are you living in Mommy's basement?
I would much rather see my funds being put to use on something that is actually useful in my daily life and not waisted on some subscription scheme. Thank you very much.

As for gas prices, they are damn near $3.00 a gallon here in Arkansas.

STLF4003, Think of it this way: Buy 22 for $69.99, or buy a year of Plus for 69.49 and get 22 into the bargain. At the end of the year drop Plus and Keep 22. SWEET! You just saved 50 cents (American) on 22 and got a whole year of Plus. What's not to like?

The fact that you lose access to all the feature included with Plus when your subscription lapse which is pretty much most of the new stuff being added to 22. It's just roping you into having to keep paying for whatever "new shiny" the devs put out.

Back in the day unless your were playing an online MMO, you only had to pay for a game once to get the full package with everything else being optional purchase.

And now a days the devs are only interested in milking every last penny out of you.

Last edited:
I only buy via steam. Will steam version get trainz Plus or S20?

Well, you keep everything that is 22 along with 22. So anything that becomes mainstream 22 over the next year should stay. But I am curious what happens to the Plus content that is in my CM on December 1, 2022. Will it show as Payware-Disabled or Packaged-Disabled or something? Would it then gradually slip back into enabled as the assets or features became mainstream 22 over the following year? Someone does need to clarify just what all takes place December 1, 2022 and following.

And now a days the devs are only interested in milking every last penny out of you.

Unfortunately that is the reality of being in business today, especially in the software business. Margins can be wafer thin, competition can be intense, but bills still have to be paid.

have noticed that not even customer loyalty seems to mean anything these days. My electricity supplier, for example, is only likely to offer you better rates if you start the process to move to another supplier (same wires, same power generators, same electrons - so go figure). Not even charities can afford to give everything away for nothing, if they want to remain in business for the long term.

I have also noticed that there seems to be a growing view from some consumers that if something is given away for free than it must not be any good. Have we all become cynics?

I would much rather see my funds being put to use on something this is actually useful in my daily life and not waisted on some subscription scheme. Thank you very much.

The fact that you lose access to all the feature included with Plus when your subscription lapse which is pretty much most of the new stuff being added to 22. It's just roping you into having to keep paying for whatever "new shiny" the devs put out.

Back in the day unless your were playing an online MMO, you only had to pay for a game once to get the full package with everything else being optional purchase.

ha, its $1:79 a LITER here in South Australia, that equates to six dollars and 60 cents a gallon, without exchange rate differences. i never cease to wonder at how so many Americans gripe over their dirt cheap gas prices.....

Yes pricing is all relative. Touring the UK by car nearly 3 years ago one of the first thing we noticed was the gas/petrol prices - way, way more than what we were paying back here. The second thing we noticed was the cost of train travel. A trip we took on the Settle-Carlisle line was about 10 times the cost of a similar trip here - and not as scenic as I had hoped. The Fort William- Mallaig line was just as expensive but scenic-wise, definitely a worthy trip.

We don't know how lucky we are where we are until we see otherwise. I suppose it's relative to the wages and the cost of living. For some of us living on Social Security, there's little room for extras and compared to many other areas in the world, and many people live paycheck to paycheck. In a sense, I'm lucky because I keep my expenses low and watch my budget carefully so I have a little bit of fun money left over a lot of the time. It's not a lot, but it's something set aside for something I want.

To keep things in perspective, a couple of weeks ago, I went for a livestream car ride with Daniel Shaw. Daniel is a Sydney-based sever storm chaser that I follow on Patreon and does US trips as well. He remarked then that gas prices were high at one particular gas station he passed just before he pulled on to an expressway. That station was at $1.84 AUS, which works out to be $7.36 per gallon AUS, or $5.52 USD, since a liter is pretty close to a quart with 4 of those per gallon. After seeing that, we complain because gas is $.3.50 and up in most areas! We're pretty lucky right now!

The other day, I paid $3.49 per gallon the other day and it cost me near $50 to fill my tank. Between the gas, my doctor's office copay of $40, and the parking garage for $10, that day cost me $100 for nothing. I'd rather stay home and Trainz for 19-cents a day. It's a lot less expensive and I know I'm getting my money's worth out of what I paid for.

My thoughts are that I won't buy it unless it has a physical box (my Internet connection is poor and the game I guess it will occupy around 20-30 GB).

I guess it will occupy around 20-30 GB).

The minimum spec states 30GB of storage space. Some of that would be "working space" but Tony did state in another post that to create a box set would need (and I forget the exact number) about 5 DVDs.

EDIT: Found the relevant post. It was 8 DVDS.

Last edited:
Official answer from Tony:
Before we get lots more people also anticipating, I can provide the disappointing news that TRS22 will be the first edition that will never make it onto a disk. In fact, it won't even make it onto the required 8 x 5GB DVDs that would be required for all the content.

I can tell you that we looked long and hard at creating a very special 20th Anniversary Edition metal box with lots of goodies, and even designed some of those goodies. In the end, we decided it was far more important to focus on making sure the product itself was as good as it could be rather than diverting resources into something less than 10% of users would get to experience.

You never know, if tomorrow's announcements are well received, we may be able to create a very special 21st Anniversary Edition.

But what makes me wonder is... what the 20th Anniversary Edition metal box would look like :D
I'm hoping to get myself one this time around :D

Cheers

A 21st Anniversary metal box... that'd be quite interesting.

Also... did not notice this thread blowing up until now. Wow!

If it isn't going to be an substantially better version than 2019 i ain't upgrading, sick of being duped into buying a newer version when it wasn't all it was cracked up to be like 2006 from 2004 and 2010 from 2009, fix the 2019 issues first!!

There's something that Trainz really lacks. Compared to TS2022 and TSW2 sounds and physics aren't good in Trainz. The engine sound system that Trainz uses is not suitable for modern electric trains. For diesel trains it's working although it could be better too but definitely not for electric trains. When you are in cab view mode you can still hear the outside sounds very loudly. The cabin should block ambient sounds. Physics are another big problem. Multiple unit trains can accelerate very fast. Wheel slip can occur anytime, although it shouldn't. Weather should also have an effect on wheel slip. Good looking cabs are also a big lack in Trainz. Trainz doesn't have a good safety system functionality. Safety system functionality (PZB, LZB, SIFA, AWS, ETCS et.) is essential, when you want to drive a modern train realistically. Will we ever get those lacks fixed? Does those lacks still exist in Trainz 2022?

If it isn't going to be an substantially better version than 2019 i ain't upgrading, sick of being duped into buying a newer version when it wasn't all it was cracked up to be like 2006 from 2004 and 2010 from 2009, fix the 2019 issues first!!

A valid personal opinion but I would disagree about 2006 not being much better than 2004 and 2010 over 2009 - my opinions. There is a thread in these forums called "Trainz peaked in 2006" at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?165901 where you will get plenty of arguments on that claim.

As for fixing all the issues in TRS19 first (or any software) before the next version is released, that is never going to happen - Microsoft and Apple can't even do it.

There's something that Trainz really lacks. Compared to TS2022 and TSW2 sounds and physics aren't good in Trainz.

I don't have TS2022 or TSW2 and I am not interested in getting them. Highly accurate sounds and physics do not interest me either. What does interest me is route and session building and Trainz, whatever the version, meets all my needs. That, of course, is my opinion and it is just as valid as yours.

I really don't understand what the problem is. After a day or so working in the beta version of TRS22 I can see that it's an improvement over TRS19 SP4 in all kinds of subtle and enjoyable ways. Folk standing off and complaining about something they haven't even tried yet just seems plain daft to me.

I really don't understand what the problem is. Folk standing off and complaining about something they haven't even tried yet just seems plain daft to me.

You are not the only one left scratching your head.

Perhaps if you are constantly complaining that something is "not good enough" you will eventually be proven right and you can boast "I told you so". For all those times when you are proven wrong, well people will forget and there is always the "next time".

You are not the only one left scratching your head.

Perhaps if you are constantly complaining that something is "not good enough" you will eventually be proven right and you can boast "I told you so". For all those times when you are proven wrong, well people will forget and there is always the "next time".

I really don't understand what the problem is. After a day or so working in the beta version of TRS22 I can see that it's an improvement over TRS19 SP4 in all kinds of subtle and enjoyable ways. Folk standing off and complaining about something they haven't even tried yet just seems plain daft to me.

This is a typical psychological response to something new. Most people in general don't like change and since Surveyor 1.0 has pretty much remained the same for the past 20 years, we're heading into really uncomfortable and apprehensive people right now as it brings them out of their comfort zone.

Back