Thoughts on Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022

Are we still waiting for SRKing783 to go to bed (because its already 10:30pm on the US East Coast so it is getting late)?:D

Thanks for the link - it's actually a little out of date so we'd added a password to it for now while it gets updated.
The new link will also be slightly different when it's announced. (soon - had a wee technical set back with some product permissions we're working through)

Alright! Let’s see the checklist:

Announced while I was sleeping? Check:hehe:

Looks to be absolutely incredible? Check

A bit pricey, but I’m probably gonna preorder because I have a gift card or two lying around that hasn’t been used at all? Check

Has a really nice British route included? (Big fan of British railways here - not much of an American guy… even though I live in New England) Check

I didn’t really have a checklist, and was just making it up on the fly? Check

Would ya look at that, it meets everything on the checklist!

Anyways, enough joking around - TRS22 looks to be an incredible new game. I hope to see Trainz still running strong 20 years from now, and hopefully longer.

From my perspective, I'm not sure that a subscription is that good...
The difference between the outright purchase and the + subscription is that I can have Surveyor 2, plus the advance DLC.
At the end of the subscription, I'll lose the Surveyor 2 and the DLC early access...

I don't need the FCT (lifetime subscription here)
I don't need access to older Trainz versions (see header info!)

In year 2, I'll be financially ahead...

If I manage to hold off until next year's "Black Friday" will there be a sale price?
anyone able to change my mind?

Colin

From my perspective, I'm not sure that a subscription is that good...
The difference between the outright purchase and the + subscription is that I can have Surveyor 2, plus the advance DLC.
At the end of the subscription, I'll lose the Surveyor 2 and the DLC early access...

I went through the same decision process when the Trainz subscription was first announced and went for TRS19 Platinum Edition as an outright purchase instead.

I switched to the subscription Trainz Plus just a few months ago because of the new features that were promised it would bring. The UDS, as one example in both Trainz Plus and TRS19 PE but not in TRS19 Standard, I found to be a very powerful time saving tool and the promise of S20 in the next update of Trainz Plus convinced me to try it. The DLC side does not really interest me although I may try out the free offerings, my main interest is in building my own routes and sessions.

If I eventually decide to stop the subscription and return to TRS19 PE and later buy TRS22 outright then I have really lost nothing but a few dollars (comparatively) but I would have gained a lot of experience. But so far I see no reason to drop Trainz Plus.

Each to their own and my circumstances and priorities are for me and not necessarily for others.

What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up? Pass.

Anyone that doesn't want to bleed their wallet dry, best just stay with 19.

What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up? Pass.

19 cents a day (cost of plus for a year based on yearly subscription) is hardly bleeding a wallet dry. Now, if you don't care for subscription models to purchase software, well, that's a valid point. But 19 cents a day? What else can you buy for that amount that brings so much fun and entertainment?

Last edited:

:) Well I bled my wallet because I wanted to have a play with Surveyor 2. Why, well I could be dead tomorrow (hopefully not literally) then I would not have satisifed my curiosity and gone into the big sky envying all the rest of you whom are trying it out.

19 cents a day (cost of plus for a year based on yearly subscription) is hardly bleeding a wallet dry. Now, if you don't care for subscription models to purchase software, well, that's a valid point. But 19 cents a day? What else can you buy for that amount that brings so much fun and entertainment?

I despise subscription models in gaming with a burning passion. It's as simple as that. One an done, as it should be. And maybe some DLC if there's any thing on the market that I like.

I will be sticking to 19 for the foreseeable future. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of what's coming up, but what I have is good enough for me.

What's that? You gotta pay a subscription on top of the price for the base game just to get the new fancy editor they've been hyping up?

No, If you don't already have Trainz Plus you just pay for the subscription - either an annual or a monthly payment - no "price of the base game" as well. If you decide to end the subscription after just one month, then you lose access to the game and all you have lost is a few dollars/pounds/euros. If you buy outright and decide after one month that you hate it then you have lost a lot more in dollars/pounds/euros.

If you already have Trainz Plus (TRS19) then you will get the upgrade to Trainz Plus (TRS22) automatically as a part of your subscription.

But each user will have their own needs, priorities and ideas on what is value and what is not.

All these people whining about the cost makes me crazy. Are you living in Mommy's basement? Here in the States where gas is really cheap compared to the rest of the world. A year subscription is about the same as 1 tank of gas or one night out with friends. I spend at least 10 hours a week using Trainz so it is the cheapest entertainment available.

Back