My long ago large Glasgow tramway built......mileage 3 figures

rjhowie

I built the whole of the long sadly gone Glasgow tramway system closed in 1962 Well into over 100 miles and every route once in existence. It had 1,100 trams and a great Trainz fan who sady passed away (lived down in England) built the Standard, Kilmarnock Bogie, Single-decker, Coronation and Cunarder. As a wee boy I lived the big system very much but sad we lot the dashed thing. Routes went out of the city to local towns in the west, east and so on included towns and villages. Anyway I had only intended years ago to do the west of the city where I lived but got into the city centre later then the north and east off an on however I never though I'd do it all but over two years off and on I crossed the River Clyde and into the south southeast and southwest drove along to get a copy on a portable copier. More recently a tram and train author on Trainz got into chats and calls with me and I shrunk a copy which he got happily.

I have mused on that project as ages ago was my first attempt at doing anything on Trainz although as indicating never thought I would do th whole system as near as to how things were before closed. Trams were popular by Glaswegians and the day of closure there was a convoy of them going through the city and 250,000 people crammed the streets to say goodbye. The build is still on my pc and I am musing that although the first of 2 projects that being my initial one has only been passed to two folk! On every terminus which is of double track I have also put invisible extensible extension so one can drive a tram from end of one line in a circle to the other track!

Although I have since then built the Northern Ireland Railway plus the mainline extension down to Dublin my Glasgow tramway my first dabble all that time ago so apart from a man on Clydebank and another in outskirts of Belfast maybe once I find out how to upload it maybe it will be interesting to see Glasgow's long gone big tramway........?!

I would be very interested in the Glasgow tramway too. I recall seeing many screenshots on the forums some time ago.
Incidentally I am from Falkirk, only about 18 miles from Glasgow and have been on the Tramway many times in the fifties.

Cheers,
Bill69

Only a small number of interests (!) but nicer to see them however. Being my first attempt at building something which off an on took me a long time to continue good to hear from you. As I often mused never thought i would do do whole large systsem. Indeed I smile years ago just aiming for the west of the city then adding the entre and thought the whole thing too large to attempt! But then did the smaller north and ages later had tracks through the centre then that was it but east end came next. Thought on completing north of the River Clyde ambitious enough a while later started over the river and as intimated off and on over months surprised myself! Of the two who got copes the Belfast man was a writer of books re trams and buses, etc and very pleased to get what I gave, First lucky man waAll the depots are included that were there plus one closed and replaced nearby!Although been with Trainz years I need to find out how to upload the thing!!

Bobby

Hi Bobby.

Your route does sound interesting. I would love to see the the route uploaded on the DLS even if its still a work in progress. The GCR route that gets updated now and again started as a smallish route and over the years has got better and more detailed. So even if you never get the time to complete it, the route would be out there for people to use and maybe (personal copy) finish it off. With the new builder stuff coming our way from the Trainz crew, maybe completing routes will soon get quicker! Just because you haven't got many replies on your post, please don't give up as the silent majority don't post often on the forums!

Best regards.

CaptEngland

I too remember all the excellent screenshots that you produced. Would it not be possible to restart ts2006 and then save it and put it in ts12 and go from there ? It will probably need a lot of work to get it up to Tane standard but it seems a shame to let it go to waste ? Did you ever get as far as saving it as a CDP as that would make it easier?. I am certainly interested as I now live 40 miles from Glasgow. Were there not also the twins who were doing a few railway routes in the area at one time. Or has my fuddled brain mixed everythign up?

I'il Basically say this. It is a very extensive Trainz tramway folks and I included a whole list of the depots and included even a small section closed before WW2 as well as a closed one with the actual replacement a short distance away. It was my first daring try at building something on Trainz ! Never though I would ever compete the whole system and took me a while to complete everything north of the River Clyde. Indeed when that north of the river done I sighed at the lies that finished on the north side of the River Clyde (even included the pedestrian suspension bridge. There is nothing for me to go back on with all the depots and every single route done and nice there folk are who a while back enjoyed my pictures. A special pleasure ws the builder on forums who actually built each of the Glasgow trams I have listed, A passing surprise was when I ran his Coronation tram it had at the two ends small arrowed lights that came on when you swung off onto another track in real life. Very real! When he discovered as a boy I lived on the No 17 route from Whiteinch (my then district right through from the west to east he produced a Stadard with the No 17 and destination - was very touching and brilliant).

The man who on discovering my build was over the moon and lived a few miles away and ws happy as Larry driving to my house with a copier to get the thing. Then that copy I sent on a wee copier to a fan in Belfast (as I intimated he is an author books on such). What I basically need to do is as I passingly said is find out how to get it up to Trainz so it does not just sit on my pc! That I managed every single route such as shown in the old site picture. Oh and it is on Trainz12

ps. It's long been completely builtCaptain!

You may have to get it into Tane in order to upload. To upload go to my trainz and select my content. Here you can select upload and follow the instructions.

Back