Can someone help me? Lost my stuff!

UnionPacificFan1005

ignore user, GTW foamer
(this is all copied and pasted from a steam community post I made yesterday)
So, as the title says, I have lost my data in Trainz. I have all of my CDP files(more on that later), but none of my saves or routes I was working on. Besides the option to install all the DLC I bought directly from Steam, it looks like how it did when I first bought the game.
Here's how it happened:
I just received a 1TB external SSD for my computer because what I had was starting to outgrow it. I had moved all my CDP files onto said SSD, and had a copy of Trainz installed on there after following the instructions from Auran provided in the install tab of the settings menu. I unplugged my SSD and brought both my laptop and my SSD to another room of my house, and started Trainz again. That then is when I found I had lost saves, routes, etc. I have a Trainz backup from yesterday, and a Steam backup from today, but I have no clue how to restore either. Any help is greatly appreciated, especially since I had 2 projects I was planning to use to start a content site.

Specs: Intel i3-1005g
16g of RAM
256g internal SSD
1tb external SSD

FYI: This is all in T:ANE

Last edited:
You have not linked your original userdata folder which will still be wherever it was before you reinstalled, not sure how Steam works or where it puts it but for the N3V version your data is installed by default in C:\Users\your_windows_username\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build*********

If it's in the same place you may have 2 build****** folders your original and the new one with not a lot in it.

Presumably that's what you need to put on the External SSD as that's where the bulk of the data is, again not sure how it's done in Steam but in None steam versions you can move the data and change the location to point at the new location in Launcher > Settings > Install.

The Steam version is the same as the N3V direct version as far as the local data folder location so all of Clam1952 advice is correct. Steam just installs the actual program directory in a different place. That is normally Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 You can find your path by right clicking on the name or icon for TRS19 in the Steam Client and choosing Manage > Browse Local Files.

You have not linked your original userdata folder which will still be wherever it was before you reinstalled, not sure how Steam works or where it puts it but for the N3V version your data is installed by default in C:\Users\your_windows_username\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build*********

If it's in the same place you may have 2 build****** folders your original and the new one with not a lot in it.

Presumably that's what you need to put on the External SSD as that's where the bulk of the data is, again not sure how it's done in Steam but in None steam versions you can move the data and change the location to point at the new location in Launcher > Settings > Install.

So are you saying if I link Trainz to my C: drive in settings then I will be able to restore my data or at least prevent this from happening again?

OK. SO. I figured it out with what you said, and I found out I needed to link Trainz back to my D: drive. Thanks for the help, I really panicked as I have lots of stuff here that I do not want to lose. :D

Once content is installed from a cdp, that cdp file is useless beyond archiving/backup purposes. You can delete the cdps. All the content you installed is stored in the location clam mentioned. You can move that content to a new drive; you then need to update the settings menu to point to that new location.

peter

Back