Are box copies planned?

hiawathamr

DLC developer for Trainz
Similar to TRS19 will there be box copies made for TRS22 or was TRS19 the end of the era for box copies? Might be jumping the train here but am curious (and they say it doesn't hurt to ask:D).

Cheers

Last edited:
Probably to late to hope for a 20th Anniversary Box of goodies - but it would make for a surprise Christmas Stocking.
Please accept my Pre-order in anticipation!

Before we get lots more people also anticipating, I can provide the disappointing news that TRS22 will be the first edition that will never make it onto a disk. In fact, it won't even make it onto the required 8 x 5GB DVDs that would be required for all the content.

I can tell you that we looked long and hard at creating a very special 20th Anniversary Edition metal box with lots of goodies, and even designed some of those goodies. In the end, we decided it was far more important to focus on making sure the product itself was as good as it could be rather than diverting resources into something less than 10% of users would get to experience.

You never know, if tomorrow's announcements are well received, we may be able to create a very special 21st Anniversary Edition.

The announcement should be well received by 99% of registered users but we all know that the very vocal 1% will find fault with anything they hear. It really must be a very sad way of living.

Fix 100 things, miss 1 thing, and we're ignoring our customer base because this bug still exists. It's a tough life as a developer! :(

LOL, Cheer up, at least you aren't in the COVID gulag. Before I retired from the ISP I dealt with similar customers. We would block 99.9% of the spam from their mailboxes but if one got through it was time to rant and rave on the phone for an hour.

Last edited:
The announcement should be well received by 99% of registered users but we all know that the very vocal 1% will find fault with anything they hear. It really must be a very sad way of living.

To be honest, complaining about complainers before they've even started complaining seems a bit hypocritical to me! :hehe:

Looking forward to the announcement and have to say that I think the decision not to spend resources on creating the special boxed edition was a good call.

On the contrary, the complainers started complaining just at the announcement of the announcement in anticipation of being disappointed by the details of the announcement. You might describe me as engaging in preemptive complaining about the future complaining. :)

On the contrary, the complainers started complaining just at the announcement of the announcement in anticipation of being disappointed by the details of the announcement. You might describe me as engaging in preemptive complaining about the future complaining. :)
So .... should I be disappointed at the complaining about the disappointed complainants, or should I just complain about the complaints that haven't happened from disappointed complainers who have yet to be disappointed? Damn it Tony .......... do we have to wait until tomorrow? Really?

My ideal Trainz anniversary gift box
-Trainz UTC
-TRS2004SP2
-TRS2006SP?
-TRS2009SP4
-TRS2012
-T:ANESP3
-TRS19 build 100240 (no DLCs)
-TRS19 SP5 (no DLCs)
-TRS22 (no DLCs)

5 DVD or 1 Blu-ray max
for the special price of 219 dollar (21 years 9 versions)
where can I order? no GM just wait for the announcement !

No boxed edition, fair enough but will be still be able to purchase/licence outright a digitally downloaded copy, without having to take out a subscription?

So .... should I be disappointed at the complaining about the disappointed complainants, or should I just complain about the complaints that haven't happened from disappointed complainers who have yet to be disappointed? Damn it Tony .......... do we have to wait until tomorrow? Really?

In general, I have found that no one cares if I complain and far too many people take joy from me being disappointed. So I've adapted a laissez-faire attitude towards life. Well, I do make a exception for Alabama Crimson Tide college football. Last Saturday's 4 overtime win almost did me in.

No boxed edition, fair enough but will be still be able to purchase/licence outright a digitally downloaded copy, without having to take out a subscription?

I hope so. Maybe Tony can just make the box and pdfs of the DVD labels and we pay shipping. I can burn DVDs and stick on freshly printed labels.

It's a bit like music LP's and cassettes there is something nice about the old box versions of Trainz, I still have TRS2004 through to TS12 not quite sure why as they are unlikely to ever be installed again. Nostalgia I guess. Peter

To complicate matters, none of the computers I have purchased during the last few years have a CD/DVD drive. I did buy an external USB BluRay drive a few years ago but I can only recall ever using it once. All of the new software I have purchased in that time has been via digital download. CDs seem to have gone the same way as floppy disks.

Before we get lots more people also anticipating, I can provide the disappointing news that TRS22 will be the first edition that will never make it onto a disk. In fact, it won't even make it onto the required 8 x 5GB DVDs that would be required for all the content.

I can tell you that we looked long and hard at creating a very special 20th Anniversary Edition metal box with lots of goodies, and even designed some of those goodies. In the end, we decided it was far more important to focus on making sure the product itself was as good as it could be rather than diverting resources into something less than 10% of users would get to experience.

You never know, if tomorrow's announcements are well received, we may be able to create a very special 21st Anniversary Edition.

Welp, guess no pretty Trainz box this time (unless its just a CD code like how antivirus programs are at my store).
Regardless I'm hoping to pick up 20th Anniversary Edition box real soon(TM) :D
Thanks for the news Tony - best to get an answer than be sitting there waiting for a box copy to become available haha.

Cheers

Back