Trainz T12 is very hard to use and download content / updates.

fishlips

Having a hard time getting the content downloader to work, keeps telling me it can't find a URL.
Must be the most difficult downloader I have ever used.

When you start-up TS12 don't forget to log-in first. As I open the program, I always 'Run as Administrator'.
Then go to 'Options' to verify your user-name and password are listed correctly.
If so, immediately below it, it would show "Planet Auran login successful, user name and password are correct".

Then go to 'Content' and search for what assets you require. Highlight what you want, right-click and select 'Download'.
That's the simplest way to download your assets and they land directly in your TS12 game; and not in an undisclosed file somewhere else on your computer.
Good luck, Roy

Thank you Jagg, I will take this into account when i decide whether or not to purchase the latest edition of Trainz.

While it is true that TS12 has passed its EOL date, it still works fine with the DLS. I assume that something on your computer is blocking ContentManager.exe from getting to the DLS. You should check that windows firewall is allowing it both in and out of your computer.

I've tried a few things but its not working. I followed Roys advice and while the user-name and password are auto-stalled on the page, there is no verification messages that its accepted.
A shame its so difficult to use. Not sure why its set up this way when Trainz is the only game these downloads work with and its supplied for free?
Never mind, back to flight simulators as I have little patience for this back and forth mucking around as the consumer.
Thanks guys for your kind replies, cheers

Based on your attempts to load TS12, it appears you may have an internet connection problem.

From my experience, I've found once your internet 'connects' properly, TS12 is quite an easy program to use.

Each version of Trainz has improved dramatically over its predecessor, through the past years and I've learnt more new skills each time.

However if you don't have construction or design as a built in passion, then Trainz may not be for you.

Cheers,
Roy

I haven't used TS2012 for a while, but I started it up just now and downloaded a couple of assets without any problems. In all the time I was actively using TS2012 it was completely reliable with downloading assets from the DLS. As Roy says there has to be some other cause that isn't related to TS2012 itself.

In Configure trainz window as Roy mentioned earlier in the thread, my user name and password appear automatically. below that in the same window tag named Planet Aurran there are two buttons, Patch Trainz and Join Planet Auran. When I press patch Trainz I get Download failed in the window. Press the join button and I'm already a member.
Now my internet connection is just fine, here I am in the forum.
I don't use Windows fire wall and my security software has never given me a problem before on any game and advises me if it does.
I have the CD version of TS12, i just can't download any assets. Although I can see the assets i want, they don't have icon images in them and I get a message that the URL is not available.
Now you guys have had years to work this out but for a relatively new user, this really turns me off updating to the newer versions.
I don't wish to spend the next 6 months working it out, it needs to be simple for people like me and its not for what i have read on the forum.
Yes Roy, I am an aircraft and scenery model designer for Microsoft Flight Simulator and P3D.
Cheers, Mark

You have the CD version of TS12, - so what build number is that? TS12 3.7 Build 61388 is the version that I have.

Hi Mark,
I'm sorry for my previous comment. It wasn't meant to be off-putting!

When I first purchased TS12 it was the CD version also and at the time, I only had a laptop with minimal memory data. I then upgraded to a gaming computer with a high-end video driver.
It was then when I 'installed' the TS12 program directly onto my hard drive. From thereon in it was so simple to download as many assets as I needed.
Today, I now use both my C: and E: drives for different Trainz versions. This doesn't bog the game down if I'm using high poly graphics.
I now have no problems with the later versions of Trainz.

However if you only wan't to use the CD version then you may be limited to just driving the various routes. If you want to design routes then think about how much you'll need to put into it.

Mark, it's your choice as to what level of involvement you want to be with Trainz.

Cheers, Roy

Back