Trainz Plus Free for a month!

weevil

. . joined September 2001
. . .Nope. Not for you.

Just logged into the MyTrainz section of the portal and was greeted by a banner offering a choice of Trainz Plus or Silver Membership free for a month. Great I thought. Clicked on the link and in the small print it says it's only for new customers.

Pretty stupid really, considering I have already logged in so they know I'm already a customer. What's the point of advertising something to me specifically, when I'm not eligible for it?

Pretty stupid really, considering I have already logged in so they know I'm already a customer. What's the point of advertising something to me specifically, when I'm not eligible for it?

Nope ... I just accessed the MyTrainz portal without my user login and got the advert without any problems. So it can be accessed by people who are not already customers and therefore it is not stupid at all!

The offer is for first time members. If you’ve tried it out already, then you don’t get another free offer (obviously rather exploitable).

if you haven’t been a member already then send a ticket to help desk.

Nope ... I just accessed the MyTrainz portal without my user login and got the advert without any problems. So it can be accessed by people who are not already customers and therefore it is not stupid at all!

I think you may need to re-read my original post. Obviously the offer is made to people who aren't and have never been members. That is logical. What isn't, is offering it to someone who (as in my case) has already been a member.

The offer is for first time members. If you’ve tried it out already, then you don’t get another free offer (obviously rather exploitable).

if you haven’t been a member already then send a ticket to help desk.

Yep. And if the system knows I'm not eligible because I've already been a member then it's pretty daft offering it to me in the first place.

As a side note, I tried Gold about two years ago, for one month, which I paid full price for. So in theory I haven't actually already benefitted from this offer.

I think you may need to re-read my original post. Obviously the offer is made to people who aren't and have never been members. That is logical. What isn't, is offering it to someone who (as in my case) has already been a member.

That "ad" is simply a graphic picture. It has no "smarts" linked to it. The ad (image) also does not know if you are logged into "MyTrainz" or not. It's simply a picture on a web page. Could everything be made "smart"? Yes. But it's simply not cost effective in some cases for the development. And some ads are "rotated" from a list of provided ads. That ad could end up on all kinds of different pages.

Last edited:
That "ad" is simply a graphic picture. It has no "smarts" linked to it. The ad (image) also does not know if you are logged into "MyTrainz" or not. It's simply a picture on a web page. Could everything be made "smart"? Yes. But it's simply not cost effective in some cases for the development. And some ads are "rotated" from a list of provided ads. That ad could end up on all kinds of different pages.

Reading comprehension is apparently really hard here on the forums. That ad is positioned on a webpage that requires me to be logged in. On the same page there is the status of my membership and first class tickets so clearly, somewhere in the page's code a query has been made about the status of those things. Of course the ad itself is not smart. Are we really discussing the possibility of artificial intelligence embedded in web images? I honestly don't know what else to say.

Last edited:
Lots of websites and companies offer this, regardless of whether you have been a member before. Amazon, Microsoft, eBay to name some of the bigger names. I don't think it is anything different that N3V are doing.

I personally recommend Plus and I wouldn't downgrade to lose the features as I find them really useful to have.

Cheers,

PLP

Reading comprehension is apparently really hard here on the forums. That ad is positioned on a webpage that requires me to be logged in. On the same page there is the status of my membership and first class tickets so clearly, somewhere in the page's code a query has been made about the status of those things. Of course the ad itself is not smart. Are we really discussing the possibility of artificial intelligence embedded in web images? I honestly don't know what else to say.

My reading comprehension is fine. My point is that the code inserting the ad does not know if you are logged in or not. I do web pages for a living and I can guarantee you that you can have the same web page display in a "non-logged in" situations AND a "logged in" situation. You log into a member area but the code may be the exact same code as a non-logged in area. The exact same web ad can be displayed in both situations.

My reading comprehension is fine. My point is that the code inserting the ad does not know if you are logged in or not. I do web pages for a living and I can guarantee you that you can have the same web page display in a "non-logged in" situations AND a "logged in" situation. You log into a member area but the code may be the exact same code as a non-logged in area. The exact same web ad can be displayed in both situations.

Trust me. Your reading comprehension is NOT fine. The code inserting the ad is on a page where there is other information about my account status so it certainly COULD "know" if I'm logged in or not. I've stated this three times so far but you still don't seem to have got the message. If I wasn't logged in I wouldn't be able to access that page. I'm not talking about some generic sidebar ad. This is a full width promo offer that is part of the main page.

You may be correct in that the code for that part of the page is the same for all users, and in fact that is exactly the thing that I find stupid. Seeing as my membership status has already been ascertained, why not run the same check before deciding to show the promo or not?

Last edited:
Just tested it on my partner's computer which does not have Trainz installed and I have never used to access the Trainz forums and was able to load the Trainz portal site and see the advert.

Just tested it on my partner's computer which does not have Trainz installed and I have never used to access the Trainz forums and was able to load the Trainz portal site and see the advert.

. . . . and you still don't understand. READ the posts. :hehe:

. . . . and you still don't understand. READ the posts. :hehe:

You are right I do not understand. But what I neglected to add in my previous post, my fault, was that I did not log in to my account when I accessed the site. Yet I still saw the advert.

Pretty sure you're just trolling me now. It's the only explanation. Sorry, but you'll have to go hungry.

illogical ads

More than a few times I've done numerous online searches to research and select a product. Then purchased it online, only to keep seeing ads related to my searches of a product I've already purchased. Even on the webpages of the company that I bought it from!

Online advertisers just don't spend any effort on qualifying the ads that are sent to you. I know it's illogical, but it's very common.

(I'm still at my sister's place, even though I said I wouldn't be.)

Coding as simple as a setting check costs money. Using a generic ad in ALL cases/locations is a bit cheaper than checking. The bits add up. $$$$$ is probably the reason. Confusion is the result.

Lots of the similar flags for ownership probably exits in Trainz (old unsupervised coding). Each flag has a history and possibly uses a different logic for its setting. Once you code (this is an existing customer) the flag you used may be subject to some change for some reason and your logic fails. Is it cost effective to pay someone to analyze each flag and choose the one most suited to their task? NO - the result is above but the probable cost is avoided. Business Decision. Clean the old code so only one, of the several existing, is valid. $$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Back