TRS19 vs TRS22 more separated

This thread started actually to keep them more separate
with the purpose to have a good final TRS19SP5 (without overhead of unused data)
then to have an even better TRS22 with distinct new features (S2.0 etc.)

What I been thinking, what is the actual change between versions for most files?
it is in the way routes and sessions are saved.

What if we have beside a local directory, a local shared directory
-Local is version specific, it hold routes and sessions and content that only work in that version
-Local shared, hold assets that work in all versions, TANE and all TRS19 and TRS22
these are mostly read only

Both paths you could set in Launcher [Trainz Settings] /Install\

But it would be a rethinking and rewrite of parts of the game

Tony, I have a suggestion that relies on someone telling me something first.
Here's my proposal.

If Trainz saves content DOWNLOADED through content manager, than does it transfer it between versions?
If not, let me propose something.

Instead of creating entirely new game files, allow the core files of '22 and subsequent versions to overwrite those of '19, so you keep content, settings and data without the expense of needing a larger storage medium or copying files over. With this, '22 could be installed straight from the '19 launcher, if your account recognizes you've bought it. Meaning, new games wouldn't require an entirely new game to download, just an update to the base game like Minecraft does, only that it isn't free. Tell me what you think!

Dartrider..
I have no less than 5 versons total of Tane, TRS19, and now, beta of TS22. Each game has it's way of downloading the DLC you are entitled to. People use the term "transfer" in reference to DLC. There is no "transfer." I run Tane and I download into the game the DLC I'm entitled to. I run any version of TS19 and I download the DLC I'm entitled to. I run TS22 and again, from the Store I download any DLC I'm entitled to. I can have 5 installs and in each install i can download the same DLC into that install. Content Manager (DLS) is the same. I can have the same freeware in each game. Again, there is no "transfer." If you don't care to redownlod everything you can "migrate" content by a copy and rename of your user data folder.

As for game files. Updates do currently "overwrite" the old. As for "22 being installed straight form the launcher... to what advantage? My '22 beta came straight from TS19 plus beta stream. But I also want to be able to do "fresh" installs from MyTrainz account once a beta goes public.

so sad i just bought TRS 2019 from steam yesterday and now confused after read news about TRS 2022.

Don't worry because TRS22 is a long way off and was only released into testing this past week. You'll have plenty of time and use out of TRS19 and then some before you upgrade to TRS22.

Dartrider..
I have no less than 5 versons total of Tane, TRS19, and now, beta of TS22. Each game has it's way of downloading the DLC you are entitled to. People use the term "transfer" in reference to DLC. There is no "transfer." I run Tane and I download into the game the DLC I'm entitled to. I run any version of TS19 and I download the DLC I'm entitled to. I run TS22 and again, from the Store I download any DLC I'm entitled to. I can have 5 installs and in each install i can download the same DLC into that install. Content Manager (DLS) is the same. I can have the same freeware in each game. Again, there is no "transfer." If you don't care to redownlod everything you can "migrate" content by a copy and rename of your user data folder.

As for game files. Updates do currently "overwrite" the old. As for "22 being installed straight form the launcher... to what advantage? My '22 beta came straight from TS19 plus beta stream. But I also want to be able to do "fresh" installs from MyTrainz account once a beta goes public.

Not talking about DLC, I'm talking about .cdp's

You guys think TRS22 will compete with Train Sim World 2 graphics? That darker texture on everything is so modern looking.. That would would make Trainz the number 1 Train Sim.

Back