British Rail Carriage Diagrams

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
Hi all,

Recently, I’ve had a huge amount of ideas for new models in Trainz. Although the project I’ve thought about for the longest time, the Brighton Baltic, hasn’t really gotten underway, I’m planning on starting it for real once I get a new laptop and TRS22. However, I recently thiught about making new versions of the British Rail Mark 1 and Mark 2. Yes, there are plenty of good versions out there, and yes, the versions bundled with T:ANE and TS19 are excellent, but I’ve just been recently thinking a lot about making new, PBR versions, each with AJS scripting, for easily selecting liveries. However, I was wondering - how many and what are the different diagrams for the Mark 1 and 2?

Again, I know that I’m working on an L Class, of which has barely anything done on it. And yes, I understand that I don’t have TRS19, and TRS22 probably won’t support my Mac, so I can’t get PBR yet, but I’m planning on doing those coaches after the L Class. (By the way, I just want to say thank you to Tanker46 for giving me VERY useful diagrams, and to Paul Hobbs for his incredible mesh libraries. Thank you both.)

If you know the diagram types, as well as where you could find the blueprints for them, then that would be helpful. (I don’t need them, but I would like to tackle a new batch of Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches. By the way, I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, so sorry in advance to moderators if it’s moved.)

Thanks in advance,
SRKing783

Anything you make for TANE, including the older materials, can be updated for PBR later. I'm sure N3V will sort out their Mac issues soon(ish). Note that the N3V Lead Programmer is a Mac user.

You could probably re-use the diffuse texture for the PBR albedo providing you haven't baked any AO and perhaps staining into the texture. Keeping those in a separate layer in your preferred paint editor might be useful.

Last edited:
Well, thank you for your help, Paul. I didn’t know that you could always convert to PBR anytime later, so that was very helpful of you.

Well, thank you for your help, Paul. I didn’t know that you could always convert to PBR anytime later, so that was very helpful of you.

Erm, I corrected my post since it implied making PBR assets was tied up with Mac issues. That's not true - at least AFAIK.

A further point about PBR is that you can have both older materials and PBR materials in the same development project file such as a Blender file. You just mark all relevant materials with a phantom user and select those required for export.

I saw the edit, so thanks for clarification. And, in general, thank you for your help. I really di appreciate all the help I can get from fellow Trainz users, so thank you.

If you plan creating a new model of the BR MkI, I doubt anyone will argue. Although the existing crop is okay, they've been in existence for many years. I doubt anyone would complain about an updated shell, etc.

Cheers
Innis

I've got drawings, photo's a lot of data and a good understanding of what's what on Mark 1's - PM me if when you a planning on making a start and I'll see if I can help.

Not sure where to start here.....Yes, we desperately need new Mk1 and (early) Mk2 carriages in Trainz! What is the current situation?

1. sdark produced the first series of Mk1s for Trainz in 2002 - these are actually excellent in terms of dimensions and shape, but they are 2D not 3D. Also only available in carmine and cream and maroon. I later reskinned some of the catering vehicles into blue-grey to work with my reskins of the Mk2C coaches (see below.)
  2. The 'standard' Mk1 coaches in Trainz, designed by Mike10, were introduced for TC3 in 2008 - they're the right shape, but basic, lacking some key details, and sit too high on their bogies. They're inadequate for our needs in 2021. However, Mike did produce virtually the entire range, including catering and utility vehicles, and this provides a useful reference baseline for the Mk1 series.
  3. Railwaves introduced a very good, detailed and accurate, but limited range of payware Mk1s back in c.2007. These are no longer available, but Anthony (2995Valliant) purchased the meshes and textures, so these could provide a very good reference for new work.
  4. N3V commissioned some new Mk1s and these are bundled with the Liskeard and Looe payware route which appears to only be available in Trainz Plus. As usual with N3V's bizarre and bewildering business model, no-one has seen these Mk1s or knows anything about them!
  5. pikkabird produced an early, 2D version of Mk2Ds (air conditioned stock) - as this is a plain bodyshell, this permitted rekinning to Mk2C (where the air conditioning was never fitted).
  6. peterhicks then came along (2008?) and produced decent versions of Mk2D and Mk2F air-con stock. However, they are getting a bit long in the tooth.
  7. we have no acceptable models for early Mk2 (Mk2, 2A, 2B and 2C) - I include my own reskins in that! lielestosbrat and Gary Green were working on models in the past, but nothing issued to the community. Gary has probably made more progress in this area than anyone else.
Reference material would start with the Parkin (Mk1) and Harris (Mk2) books (both of which I have).

Good Mk1s and Mk2s have been an ongoing issue in Trainz for 20 years. Now that the standards are higher than ever before (with PBR etc.) the need is more acute than ever before. But be aware of what you're getting into!

Happy to help in anyway that I can, this has been an ongoing obsession of mine for a long time!

Paul

If my memory serves correctly, Domsarto, who has recently returned to Trainz after a lengthy hiatus, was working on a new version of the CIÉ Mk2d AC stock. I'm not sure how this differed externally from the BR Mk2d, and it was only a WIP picture I saw. Whether or not he decides to start work on this again, I cannot say.

Dom produced some interesting Cravens coaches, which have early Mk2 characteristics (B4 bogies?) but were unique to Ireland. Did any early Mk2s make it onto CIE? If so, maybe we could try and tempt him?

Paul

The Cravens did indeed run on B4 bogies. CIÉ initially only had Mk2Ds but bought some second hand Mk2A/Bs at the tail end of the 80s. NIR had new Mk2Bs, and former GatEx Mk2Fs.

Back