Trainz Plus Beta Update now with S20 (115583)

Hmmm.... this is interesting. I played around with it briefly earlier. I really do like the new tools for world editing, but I think they're harder to use for editing trains and consists.

I may have completely missed this function somewhere but I can't find a way to select a whole consist beyond just clicking on every traincar. This makes rotating, deleting, etc. a consist rather than a train vehicle somewhat challenging.

I'm also bemoaning the loss of easy keyboard shortcuts. Formerly, I knew that I could click "R" on my keyboard, for example, and I would be sent to the rotation tool. If shortcuts like this are still around, I can't find them, meaning I'm actually doing a lot MORE clicking back and forth than I was before, antithetical to the idea of a "simplified workflow".

My observations after some testing:
- full name of an asset (if longer than 25 characters) not visible anywhere
- contextual menu icons a bit too small
- vertex handles a bit too small
- all vertex handles (track - spline) in the same color - no visible distinction
- all vertex handles visible always - if I chose Filter visibility "Track" then Spline vertexes are still visible cluttering the screen.
- no grade info in Track info panel only Position, Rotation and Layer. Grade and length of a track segment missing. Could find grade information of an track segment anywhere.

Overall excellent and easy to use.

Regards
Darko

I have been runnings many routes and sessions with this build, and so far everything I have run and tested work as expected.

As mentioned before this thread needs to be separated into 2 separate ones; one for comments on the build itself and one for the new interface.

I tried to create a new route using my NYCTA subway content. If I "draw" a long track, TRS2022 beta's screen updates became jerky and locked up. I had to call up Task Manager and terminate TRS2022. I was using Surveyor Classic. I could use Surveyor 2.0 if NV3 brings back the old ruler (or let users choose new or old ruler in Surveyor 2.0) and spline circles when "drawing" tracks. I can't see the tiny black dots.

I could use Surveyor 2.0 if NV3 brings back the old ruler (or let users choose new or old ruler in Surveyor 2.0) and spline circles when "drawing" tracks. I can't see the tiny black dots.

I agree about the tiny black dots - great (but a bit too small) when you are concentrating on the track segment directly in front of you but I often need to check how many track segments are ahead of me and for that the spline circles were great.

Looks like this is morphing into the feedback thread so we may as well just run with that. :)

I may have completely missed this function somewhere but I can't find a way to select a whole consist beyond just clicking on every traincar. This makes rotating, deleting, etc. a consist rather than a train vehicle somewhat challenging.
Double-click to multi-select (or, read the manual ;))

I'm also bemoaning the loss of easy keyboard shortcuts. Formerly, I knew that I could click "R" on my keyboard, for example, and I would be sent to the rotation tool. If shortcuts like this are still around, I can't find them, meaning I'm actually doing a lot MORE clicking back and forth than I was before, antithetical to the idea of a "simplified workflow".
100% agree - they're coming!

My observations after some testing:
- full name of an asset (if longer than 25 characters) not visible anywhere
- contextual menu icons a bit too small
- vertex handles a bit too small
- all vertex handles (track - spline) in the same color - no visible distinction
- all vertex handles visible always - if I chose Filter visibility "Track" then Spline vertexes are still visible cluttering the screen.
- no grade info in Track info panel only Position, Rotation and Layer. Grade and length of a track segment missing. Could find grade information of an track segment anywhere.
- a few options; Eyedropper, hover over the asset (mouseover tooltip shows the full name - my not be in your build yet?); select an item, r-click, list assets in new window (i.e. view in CM), or drag the asset window off the dock and make it wider
- agreed (will be part of our ongoing review of the design and then prioritising updates)
- agreed
- what advantage does this have?
- selected items show as selected. Ctrl-D to deselect. Filter visibility is to hide anything in the world not in your current filtered asset list
- agreed

If I "draw" a long track, TRS2022 beta's screen updates became jerky and locked up.
Could not reproduce

I could use Surveyor 2.0 if NV3 brings back the old ruler (or let users choose new or old ruler in Surveyor 2.0)
What advantage does the old ruler have? What downsides do the new rules have?

and spline circles when "drawing" tracks. I can't see the tiny black dots.
agreed

Just testing procedural track in S20 and I noticed that there is no indication of a junction that does not comply with the minimum standard for procedural junctions. In Surveyor 1 the spline circle would turn red when the junction was not up to spec (e.g. radius too small) while in S20 you get the "dot" flashing red, very weakly because of its small size, while you are moving the spline point at the other end but once you release the spline there is no indication of a faulty junction.

the little pixel yellow/black turns red.

Did not see that - but it could be just my eyes. The small pixel/square dot was flashing black/red while I moved the other spline point but as soon as I released it with the spline curve radius way too small it stayed black.

The new ruler is a 3D spline that gets in the way of trying to "draw" tracks. The old ruler is white flat "spline" that's easy for me to see and doesn't gets in the way of trying to "draw" tracks. In Surveyor 2.0, I can't place the cursor where I want to insert new spline point on the track. I right-click on the tiny icon and insert new spline point in wrong place.

An update is available for <kuid2:88211:100008:18> "Bairnsdale to Orbost Line C1970-80s" (note that the Content Store only says "822" without any other information). Once installed, the route turns "Faulty" because of <kuid:661281:65094> "Ground Cover Foliage 3 - Group D" having a missing dependency: <kuid:661281:65082> "Ground Cover Foliage 3 Lib" ("Unknown location") that the update deleted. EDBR, etc., did not help.

HPL -Thanks for the report. There was a beta version released for internal testing - so the question is how did you get to download version 18?
Did an item appear in Content Store? Did it show simc:822 of the actual product name?
The new version requires the next patch (probably released tomorrow once we test it further), but it would be great to figure out which crack something fell through here first.

Jeff - thanks, just the feedback I needed to pass on regarding the rulers.

For insert spline, with the move tool selected, left click where you want the spline point inserted (best done with the camera perpendicular to the track), then click on the contextual icon to insert the new spline point.

Last edited:
how did you get to download version 18?
Did an item appear in Content Store? Did it show simc:822 of the actual product name?

Yes, an update appeared the usual way in the Content Store on 18th November! It showed the full name and description of the route. Today's one only shows "previewpass:822" and nothing else (once installed, the route still is :18, only the sessions get updated). I must be an internal tester without my (and your) knowledge...

Cannot find how to add and adjust water. Could find no mention of it in the manual. Someone mentioned it was now in the effects layer but I could find no evidence of it there.

what sort of management do you want to do? Using Filter selection or Filter visibility you can narrow down what is editable or visible to just a specific asset. Using shift select you can highlight various segments. It should be easier to select a single vertex, so let me know what the goal is and we’ll see if there’s a more useful workflow in S20.

I have imported two routes from the DLS which have thousands of splines (Ardennes Track New Era TRS19 and Summer Lake Track New Era TRS19). I am updating some of the assets and adapting the routes for my use. Granted the new spline point indicators make the route look less cluttered but it is almost impossible to edit this route with the very small spline point indicators in S20. At least for my purposes it would be handy to have an option to turn on larger spline point indicators.

There is the option of using classic of course, but what is the actual difficulty in terms of updating track segments?
for example, double click to highlight all the track between two junctions. With the fine adjustment tool, there’s a big anchor at each track end.
which operation causes you the most trouble?

Cannot find how to add and adjust water. Could find no mention of it in the manual. Someone mentioned it was now in the effects layer but I could find no evidence of it there.

Click on effects layer + and then in the effects window click on effect type. It now works like turfx using the settings in the pull out menu.

Back