Autumn colors on trip to Doylestown from Philidelphia and return

John, many thanks for those links.

I didn't spend a lot of time watching them. But did find his Philadelphia to Thorndale and back to Paoli run from last October really interesting. I watched the whole video. My wife said "I guess this is what old people do on a rainy afternoon". What could I say? She watched most of it with me. Rode the Paoli local a lot in my youth 50-60 years ago, Paoli to 30th St or Suburban station in center city. My wife got to ride it a bit after we got married. I lived outside Malvern back then but only a couple trains a day stopped there. Now they terminate there or at Thorndale. Things change but the memories linger on.

Thanks again,

Bob Pearson

These are great trips. I watched the Paoli trip the other day and really enjoyed that one as well.

What old people do on a rainy afternoon? I say why not! I was thinking of doing this myself on my commuter rail. I won't be able to get a cab view, but I can look out the windows. Some of the lines are quite scenic such as the Gloucester/Rockport and the Newburyport line that runs up along the salt marshes.

The infrastructure on the routes out of 30th Street station and Suburban station is fascinating. The Reading had some really beautiful stations on their lines that remind me of some of them I've seen on the Southern Region when I visited the UK in the mid-1980s. The Reading catenary too is different than the PRR and so is their signaling which I'm trying to figure out. I noticed that the old GRS signals with the big black targets in use all over the place on those lines as well.

Back