Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday....hmmmm

There’s a reason we didn’t offer a discount on the FCT this sale period. December 1 announcements will make it clearer, but I think we would have copped some flak from people who’d just bought a new ticket.

Sorry I can’t tell you more just yet.

Meanwhile, feel free to thank us for the other great discounts.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Tony is right. Be grateful for the huge discounts. I just picked up 4 new JR locos for a fiver. Great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by H222 View Post
    Some people are just never satisfied and as somebody who runs a small business, this "Cut any and all of your profit margin so you can make 2/5 of bugger all on a sale that means nothing to nobody in my country or I won't buy anything" attitude that some people have is horrendous. Beyond greedy.

May I ask, since it's in your signature, what is TSW offering up for its Black Friday in regards to downloading all of its HUGE freeware range that it hosts at no cost to the community? I assume it has lots of content and customization if it's the future of train sims?
    If you read my previous comments you will see my expression of dismay about the poor discounts on TSW2 stuff in Steam, too. DTG's explanation for that on their forum was trading rules on Steam preclude offering more than a certain margin of discount if something hasn't been on sale previously. This (apparently) to prevent the wider scam in retail where a shop will jack the price of something from £40 to £50 a week or two before the sales, then drop it to £45 to make it look like a bargain. They will probably be offering bigger discounts in the Xmas sale.

I certainly don't regard it as greedy to want or be offered a discount on something I might not otherwise want to buy. Please tell me you've never gone into a car dealer and haggled a bit over the part exchange for your old vehicle, or tried to get a bit off for paying cash and not cheque or credit? That's how business works outside the protective bubble some people want to put around N3V. In fact I have to haggle every year with various insurance companies and my phone company to get a decent deal over the inflated standard tariffs and prices they try and get away with, because they know some people meekly accept that's the price and don't bother to challenge it.

And I stand by my signature - you know quite nicely without posting a snide comment that TSW2 is currently payware only. However at least the graphics don't look ancient, the trains have cabs that don't date back to 2004 with translucent washed out windows, sounds that resemble the real thing. Oh and a full days timetable to operate to as you see fit, with the built in despatcher/signaller routing the train for you. And you can walk around/interact with the world too. Anyhow not getting into a my …. is bigger than yours any more than what I've said.
    Last edited by Vern; November 26th, 2021 at 06:09 AM.
    TRS22 Standalone - Please Add Surveyor 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you read my previous comments you will see my expression of dismay about the poor discounts on TSW2 stuff in Steam, too. DTG's explanation for that on their forum was trading rules on Steam preclude offering more than a certain margin of discount if something hasn't been on sale previously. This (apparently) to prevent the wider scam in retail where a shop will jack the price of something from £40 to £50 a week or two before the sales, then drop it to £45 to make it look like a bargain. They will probably be offering bigger discounts in the Xmas sale.

I certainly don't regard it as greedy to want or be offered a discount on something I might not otherwise want to buy. Please tell me you've never gone into a car dealer and haggled a bit over the part exchange for your old vehicle, or tried to get a bit off for paying cash and not cheque or credit? That's how business works outside the protective bubble some people want to put around N3V. In fact I have to haggle every year with various insurance companies and my phone company to get a decent deal over the inflated standard tariffs and prices they try and get away with, because they know some people meekly accept that's the price and don't bother to challenge it.

And I stand by my signature - you know quite nicely without posting a snide comment that TSW2 is currently payware only. However at least the graphics don't look ancient, the trains have cabs that don't date back to 2004 with translucent washed out windows, sounds that resemble the real thing. Oh and a full days timetable to operate to as you see fit, with the built in despatcher/signaller routing the train for you. And you can walk around/interact with the world too. Anyhow not getting into a my …. is bigger than yours any more than what I've said.
    So, you're comparing N3V, which has, what, 12 employees(?) to a billion dollar insurance or telecom company whose profit margins are through the roof? Interesting. I "defend" N3V because they are a tiny, tiny business in the scheme of things that punch well above their weight, something someone who hasn't or doesn't run a business couldn't appreciate as easily.

And your graphics opinion is just that, an opinion. TSW and all the Railworks and its baby sims have always looked terrible, with terrible, washed out lighting and if you stare at anything for more than half a second you notice how poor quality it looks. Lucky, that's just an opinion. There are plenty of brilliant custom cabs available in trainz - probably the same amount (or more) as TSW - but there's a lot that don't as well because it's FREEWARE CONTENT. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. RE: the despatcher/timetabling, sure, it would be nice, but why do you think a closed source game has that and Trainz doesn't? How many 12 hour sessions do you see in Trainz currently? Interlocking towers is a great start.

As to walking and interacting with the world too... well, that sounds like something that was thrown in there for little kids to go "wow cool" for about 3 seconds and then get bored of it as well. Perhaps some of your opinions would be better left unsaid on a forum about Trainz and you should be thankful for what you get away with on here. I can't imagine how much advertising of Trainz one would be allowed to get up to on Dovetail's own forums...

United States of America, Illinois, Rockford
    Blog Entries

What H222 said makes perfect sense and I couldn't have said that better.
    N3V is just a tiny business so they don't have access to all of the resources that the AAA companies have access to. They also don't have a lot of employees as they have like 12-ish and DTG has well over 100 employees. Huge difference right there!
    N3V actually gave me opportunities and in fact opened more opportunities for which I'm thankful for. Other companies would never give opportunities like that and in fact I can't name any other company out there that gave opportunities out.

As I always hear people saying "don't like this sale? wait until the next sale!"

Cheers

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

A sale is not just for the benefit of the customer. Probably 50/50%. Single customer comments may carry some weight but they carry more from a chorus.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 116069 115985

@H222 and hiawathamr
    I hope you had a good time writing those essays. I found them quite... amusing.
    Anyway nothing changed here, no FCT discount = no sale.

United States of America, Illinois, Rockford
    Blog Entries

And that is your choice.

Cheers

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Sales can also be used to increase profit margins. And I agree, we cant compare the sales of a gigantic company live dovetail to a small business like N3V. Ive had my complaints about N3V, but I think Verns additude is a bit ungrateful...
    Last edited by dundun92; November 26th, 2021 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    There’s a reason we didn’t offer a discount on the FCT this sale period. December 1 announcements will make it clearer, but I think we would have copped some flak from people who’d just bought a new ticket.

Sorry I can’t tell you more just yet...

Sounds ominous! Not looking forward to what might be on offer (or not on offer!)

Rob.

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Since we know December 1st is associated with TRS22 then I think it is safe to assume that Tony's comment hints that a FCT might be included in a pre-purchase deal for TRS22.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    Meanwhile, feel free to thank us for the other great discounts.
    Sarcasm???

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Since we know December 1st is associated with TRS22 then I think it is safe to assume that Tony's comment hints that a FCT might be included in a pre-purchase deal for TRS22.
    Certainly intriguing. However if something is coming that might make us regret buying an annual FCT, full price or otherwise, why leave them on sale at all? As it happens I have a two day FCT lurking in my account so if I get desperate, I can break the glass and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Or (on the optimistic side) they could be planning on totally ditching the FCT for TRS22, giving high speeds to all TRS2022 users!
    Last edited by dundun92; November 27th, 2021 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Or (on the optimistic side) they could be planning on totally ditching the FCT for TRS22, giving high speeds to all TRS2022 users!
    That would be cool. I personally believe that the FCT system is really outdated now. Since it was established back when all most people had was 56K Dial Up internet. I doubt it though because I bet the FCT is a part of N3V's business model (and how they can continue to milk the money cow dry.)