Black Friday....hmmmm

Since we know December 1st is associated with TRS22 then I think it is safe to assume that Tony's comment hints that a FCT might be included in a pre-purchase deal for TRS22.

Since we know December 1st is associated with TRS22 then I think it is safe to assume that Tony's comment hints that a FCT might be included in a pre-purchase deal for TRS22.
Certainly intriguing. However if something is coming that might make us regret buying an annual FCT, full price or otherwise, why leave them on sale at all? As it happens I have a two day FCT lurking in my account so if I get desperate, I can break the glass and use that.

Or (on the optimistic side) they could be planning on totally ditching the FCT for TRS22, giving high speeds to all TRS2022 users!

Last edited:
Or (on the optimistic side) they could be planning on totally ditching the FCT for TRS22, giving high speeds to all TRS2022 users!
That would be cool. I personally believe that the FCT system is really outdated now. Since it was established back when all most people had was 56K Dial Up internet. I doubt it though because I bet the FCT is a part of N3V's business model (and how they can continue to milk the money cow dry.)

I doubt it though because I bet the FCT is a part of N3V's business model (and how they can continue to milk the money cow dry.)

Be careful what you wish for!

Of course N3V could ditch the FCT charge completely and compensate for the loss to their "money cow" by bumping up all their prices and perhaps ditching the free DLS so it all becomes payware, like some other sims.

According to some of the e-business news reports I have read an even better strategy would be to ditch the PC/Mac versions of Trainz completely and concentrate entirely on the very lucrative mobile market where it is all payware. Tony take note!

The option of including (note the word "including") the FCT price in the purchase price of TRS22 could make sense but it would still not be a "free" FCT. I do have a "lifetime" FCT which I purchased for about $AU30-40 when it was on offer many years ago so adding the equivalent to the purchase price of TRS22 would certainly be an option. Another idea for Tony to consider.

That would be cool. I personally believe that the FCT system is really outdated now. Since it was established back when all most people had was 56K Dial Up internet. I doubt it though because I bet the FCT is a part of N3V's business model (and how they can continue to milk the money cow dry.)

If you think back more than a year ago, Tony revealed his idea of converting the Trainz program to subscription. Many users rejected the idea and N3V listened.

To generate some income, N3V came up with the subscriptions to different levels of access to content, which I believe has been a reasonably successful approach.

N3V still runs promotions on some routes and purchasing the program itself. Personally, I think that selling some of the products at reduced prices is an attempt to interest more new buyers. And hopefully the new users will buy some FCTs when their free FCTs expire and perhaps buy a few routes as well.

I don't mind that the FCT isn't discounted. It is one more way to help pay for running those servers and other expenses.

I'm not saying that I always agree with what N3V does, but their marketing and evolving business model makes sense to me.

Last edited:
My forecast for the December 1st annoucements is that TRS22 will be available by subcription only. Part of that subcription will be a FCT for the year or the removal of the download cap altogether. Hence why there was no discount offered for a FCT for the Black Friday period.

Just my thoughts.

I think it was Adobe who came up with the subscription model in the first place. God, I hate them. hahahahahaha.

Regards,

John

Why not do some sort of subscription based DLS for mobile Trainz? You could buy 100MB of content for like $10 or something. The mobile game crowd will buy anything at this point, look at how desperate the Trainz Android community is!
Plus it could make our Trainz community a lot less toxic, it would mean far less of those scummy converters.

Go find out how much close to 4 terabytes of data costs to host :)

And even if it was - so what? N3V releases a new version of Trainz every 3-5 years. They gotta eat.

My forecast for the December 1st annoucements is that TRS22 will be available by subcription only.

Hmmm. TRS22 will be part of the Trainz Plus subscription just like TRS19 is part of the current Trainz Plus subscription so, to me at least, it does not make sense to have TRS22 as a subscription only offering (but of course I could be wrong). It is more likely that TRS22, like TRS19, will still be a stand-alone offering.

Part of that subcription will be a FCT for the year or the removal of the download cap altogether. Hence why there was no discount offered for a FCT for the Black Friday period.

Possible, we will have to wait and see!

I think it was Adobe who came up with the subscription model in the first place.

And by all accounts it has been a very successful model for Adobe, and for Microsoft with its Office 365 offering.

I think you are right John about Adobe but it didn't take long for others to spot and fill the gap in the market caused by those who didn't like such subscription plans. Libre Office, WPS, Polaris Office, Freeoffice to name but a few haven't taken long to take advantage of Microsoft's prices and subscription offers in respect of Microsoft Office. Many Trainz users are on a low or fixed income which I'm sure N3V are fully aware of, even more so today where costs and taxes are rocketing as a frequent result of Covid. Admit it or not, T:ANE, TRS19 are actually really good and a subscription model across the board for all Trainz products may just be a step to far as upgrading a computer was for those still running TS12 when T:ANE came along. Trainz takes some beating but that was also said about Microsoft Office 10-15 years ago and do we really want to see TRS22 as the version where uptake declines and others eye a market opportunity, I don't. Peter

Edit: I also agree with 'pware' comments but both Adobe and Microsoft are relying heavily on the corporate market many of whom are stuck with a product they can't change because of the disruption and cost in respective of downtime and training. The software costs are frequently cheaper. That is not the market of N3V Trainz although having TRS19/TR22 on every office desktop actually sounds quite a positive idea. Peter

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaha, be grateful to a business that falls short on it's so called "simulator", year in year out.

20 years of one step forward and two steps back, is more than any sane person should have to put up with.

Grateful my big toe, they are a business i am a customer.

That is where the relationship ends.

I am still waiting after 20 years for tunnels that are actually realistic inside and not brighter than daylight.

Cabsway that is realistic and not like being at sea in a force 8. AWS that actually works prototypically, not just sounds a bell or horn.

Anyway it is a complete waste of time posting on this forum. The fanbois jump on everything, that shows N3V in a poor light.

N3V just put their hands over their eyes and pretend nothing is wrong.

...you remind me of someone that used to be around here before they got banned. Someone along the lines of IsambardKingdomBrunel...

Hahahahahahaha, be grateful to a business that falls short on it's so called "simulator", year in year out.
Grateful my big toe, they are a business i am a customer.
That is where the relationship ends.
-snip-

I'm glad all the content creators don't view things merely as "they are a business, I am a customer."
Let me take this opportunity to thank all Content Creators for all the assets!

20 years of one step forward and two steps back, is more than any sane person should have to put up with.

I'm not sure any sane person HAS to put up with that. People can leave Trainz whenever they please. I figured a banned account would be enough of an incentive to depart but evidently not!

N3V is well aware of what is wrong with their game and what needs improvement, but they are a small team and have to focus on pretty much one or two things at a time... Tony said in Discord chat the other day that there was hundreds of features they'd love to add to the game but their resources and dollars are not infinite.

I have focused on TRS22 which has "been good for me". A few large routes, now expanding to several scheduled runs, have had no serious events. The lumpy PBR stuff, adjacent to old fixed elevation assets, will always be an issue. I just keep adding scheduled trains of various size and character with quite dense scenery. An old PC running at thermal max 98C hangs in there. Not being able to move TRS22 stuff to TRS2020 eventually says it is time to make a commitment.. Maybe wait for one more update cycle with 22 then move it to the ssd.

.... Tony said in Discord chat the other day that there was hundreds of features they'd love to add to the game but their resources and dollars are not infinite.
Then perhaps they should have been concentrating on fixing what was broken before adding features......many of which break, thus adding to the things needing to be fixed!

Back