Black Friday....hmmmm

Of course, not everyone lives in New York or earns a "New York" salary.

Milan, Italy, $US1.33 (but I have no idea what a "Milan" salary would be). But even at that low(???) price, a 6 month FCT is the equivalent of 15 cups of excellent Milan coffee, 2-3 cups a month.

Not all retailers here in Oz have embraced 'black Friday' its certainly not the 'sales day' as witnessed in the US. Nor do we here celebrate thanksgiving. My OP was not to critique N3V but to show my disappointment at not including it [they have in the past]. Cups of coffee, bandwidth, etc may be useful comparisons to the normal cost. however, IMO failing to discount an item [FCT] that a greater percentage of trainzers utilise, fails the pub test when it comes to a sale. Never-mind, maybe, as previously mentioned, we might see it in Santa's bag.

Some great deals going but really disappointed first class tickets attract no discount. That's a pity.

I also was hoping for a reasonable discount on a "Yearly FCT". (Now that interest me!!!). I immediately lost interest in purchasing any further DLC, because no FCT discounts...

Cheers, Mac...

If FCT's aren't on sale this time around, we can always hope for Christmas / New Years sale;)

I'm broke as I spent my spending money on other things else I would've picked up a few items. Oh well guess next time as they say.

Cheers

Of course, not everyone lives in New York or earns a "New York" salary. My thoughts. ;)
That's for sure. Get away from the Manhattan / Albany area in the eastern edge of the state, there is plenty of poverty due to the outrageously high retail and property taxes.
I'm guessing that the FCT sale issue has something to do with the high inflation of essential items going around.

I immediately lost interest in purchasing any further DLC, because no FCT discounts...

You don't need an FCT to get the DLC at the maximum possible speed. Digital Software downloads (TRS19 software, etc) and DLC downloads are always sent out at the maximum bandwidth available. Only downloads of the free DLS content is subject to bandwidth controls and would need an FCT for maximum speeds. DLC assets are now packaged so that all the assets, including those assets that are on the DLS, are included in the high speed download.

You don't need an FCT to get the DLC at the maximum possible speed. Digital Software downloads (TRS19 software, etc) and DLC downloads are always sent out at the maximum bandwidth available. Only downloads of the free DLS content is subject to bandwidth controls and would need an FCT for maximum speeds. DLC assets are now packaged so that all the assets, including those assets that are on the DLS, are included in the high speed download.

I already have a FCT. (DLC download speeds never came into my equation). I was hoping to purchase another 12 month FCT at a slightly discounted figure. If I was opening my wallet to buy a 12 mth discounted FCT renewal, then I would have probably also purchased some of the heaverly discounted loco's, rolling stock and maybe a payware route or two? I can't be bothered getting my credit card out of my wallet and going thru all the gobelly-gush, if what I'm really after isn't on sale.

Please don't misunderstand my comments. It's really great that NV3 are offering some very large discounts on a lot of their DLC contents. I'm sure a lot of the Trainz community will take full advantage of these genuine discounts.

Unfortunately, what I and clearly others where hoping for was some sort of genuine discounts on FCT's as well.
(Just some sort of token gesture, by N3V, to say to the community, we really appreciate your loyalty over what has been a very trying 12 - 18 months period globally). Happy Trainzing...

Cheers, Mac...

And the point is, N3V have offered discounts on FCTs in the past so there is no direct correlation between the premium service and hosting/bandwidth costs. I already said elsewhere that due to ongoing issues with TRS19 SP3 and the botch job which is SP4, for the first time in several years I wasn’t going to automatically renew my FCT. A sweetener of 40 to 50% off might have changed my mind, so N3V have actually lost a sale.

And the point is, N3V have offered discounts on FCTs in the past so there is no direct correlation between the premium service and hosting/bandwidth costs. I already said elsewhere that due to ongoing issues with TRS19 SP3 and the botch job which is SP4, for the first time in several years I wasn’t going to automatically renew my FCT. A sweetener of 40 to 50% off might have changed my mind, so N3V have actually lost a sale.

Some people are just never satisfied and as somebody who runs a small business, this "Cut any and all of your profit margin so you can make 2/5 of bugger all on a sale that means nothing to nobody in my country or I won't buy anything" attitude that some people have is horrendous. Beyond greedy.

May I ask, since it's in your signature, what is TSW offering up for its Black Friday in regards to downloading all of its HUGE freeware range that it hosts at no cost to the community? I assume it has lots of content and customization if it's the future of train sims?

There’s a reason we didn’t offer a discount on the FCT this sale period. December 1 announcements will make it clearer, but I think we would have copped some flak from people who’d just bought a new ticket.

Sorry I can’t tell you more just yet.

Meanwhile, feel free to thank us for the other great discounts. :)

Tony is right. Be grateful for the huge discounts. I just picked up 4 new JR locos for a fiver. Great deal.

Some people are just never satisfied and as somebody who runs a small business, this "Cut any and all of your profit margin so you can make 2/5 of bugger all on a sale that means nothing to nobody in my country or I won't buy anything" attitude that some people have is horrendous. Beyond greedy.

May I ask, since it's in your signature, what is TSW offering up for its Black Friday in regards to downloading all of its HUGE freeware range that it hosts at no cost to the community? I assume it has lots of content and customization if it's the future of train sims?
If you read my previous comments you will see my expression of dismay about the poor discounts on TSW2 stuff in Steam, too. DTG's explanation for that on their forum was trading rules on Steam preclude offering more than a certain margin of discount if something hasn't been on sale previously. This (apparently) to prevent the wider scam in retail where a shop will jack the price of something from £40 to £50 a week or two before the sales, then drop it to £45 to make it look like a bargain. They will probably be offering bigger discounts in the Xmas sale.

I certainly don't regard it as greedy to want or be offered a discount on something I might not otherwise want to buy. Please tell me you've never gone into a car dealer and haggled a bit over the part exchange for your old vehicle, or tried to get a bit off for paying cash and not cheque or credit? That's how business works outside the protective bubble some people want to put around N3V. In fact I have to haggle every year with various insurance companies and my phone company to get a decent deal over the inflated standard tariffs and prices they try and get away with, because they know some people meekly accept that's the price and don't bother to challenge it.

And I stand by my signature - you know quite nicely without posting a snide comment that TSW2 is currently payware only. However at least the graphics don't look ancient, the trains have cabs that don't date back to 2004 with translucent washed out windows, sounds that resemble the real thing. Oh and a full days timetable to operate to as you see fit, with the built in despatcher/signaller routing the train for you. And you can walk around/interact with the world too. Anyhow not getting into a my …. is bigger than yours any more than what I've said.

Last edited:
If you read my previous comments you will see my expression of dismay about the poor discounts on TSW2 stuff in Steam, too. DTG's explanation for that on their forum was trading rules on Steam preclude offering more than a certain margin of discount if something hasn't been on sale previously. This (apparently) to prevent the wider scam in retail where a shop will jack the price of something from £40 to £50 a week or two before the sales, then drop it to £45 to make it look like a bargain. They will probably be offering bigger discounts in the Xmas sale.

I certainly don't regard it as greedy to want or be offered a discount on something I might not otherwise want to buy. Please tell me you've never gone into a car dealer and haggled a bit over the part exchange for your old vehicle, or tried to get a bit off for paying cash and not cheque or credit? That's how business works outside the protective bubble some people want to put around N3V. In fact I have to haggle every year with various insurance companies and my phone company to get a decent deal over the inflated standard tariffs and prices they try and get away with, because they know some people meekly accept that's the price and don't bother to challenge it.

And I stand by my signature - you know quite nicely without posting a snide comment that TSW2 is currently payware only. However at least the graphics don't look ancient, the trains have cabs that don't date back to 2004 with translucent washed out windows, sounds that resemble the real thing. Oh and a full days timetable to operate to as you see fit, with the built in despatcher/signaller routing the train for you. And you can walk around/interact with the world too. Anyhow not getting into a my …. is bigger than yours any more than what I've said.

So, you're comparing N3V, which has, what, 12 employees(?) to a billion dollar insurance or telecom company whose profit margins are through the roof? Interesting. I "defend" N3V because they are a tiny, tiny business in the scheme of things that punch well above their weight, something someone who hasn't or doesn't run a business couldn't appreciate as easily.

And your graphics opinion is just that, an opinion. TSW and all the Railworks and its baby sims have always looked terrible, with terrible, washed out lighting and if you stare at anything for more than half a second you notice how poor quality it looks. Lucky, that's just an opinion. There are plenty of brilliant custom cabs available in trainz - probably the same amount (or more) as TSW - but there's a lot that don't as well because it's FREEWARE CONTENT. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. RE: the despatcher/timetabling, sure, it would be nice, but why do you think a closed source game has that and Trainz doesn't? How many 12 hour sessions do you see in Trainz currently? Interlocking towers is a great start.

As to walking and interacting with the world too... well, that sounds like something that was thrown in there for little kids to go "wow cool" for about 3 seconds and then get bored of it as well. Perhaps some of your opinions would be better left unsaid on a forum about Trainz and you should be thankful for what you get away with on here. I can't imagine how much advertising of Trainz one would be allowed to get up to on Dovetail's own forums...

What H222 said makes perfect sense and I couldn't have said that better.
N3V is just a tiny business so they don't have access to all of the resources that the AAA companies have access to. They also don't have a lot of employees as they have like 12-ish and DTG has well over 100 employees. Huge difference right there!
N3V actually gave me opportunities and in fact opened more opportunities for which I'm thankful for. Other companies would never give opportunities like that and in fact I can't name any other company out there that gave opportunities out.

As I always hear people saying "don't like this sale? wait until the next sale!"

Cheers

A sale is not just for the benefit of the customer. Probably 50/50%. Single customer comments may carry some weight but they carry more from a chorus.

@H222 and hiawathamr
I hope you had a good time writing those essays. I found them quite... amusing.
Anyway nothing changed here, no FCT discount = no sale. :)

Sales can also be used to increase profit margins. And I agree, we cant compare the sales of a gigantic company live dovetail to a small business like N3V. Ive had my complaints about N3V, but I think Verns additude is a bit ungrateful...

Last edited:
There’s a reason we didn’t offer a discount on the FCT this sale period. December 1 announcements will make it clearer, but I think we would have copped some flak from people who’d just bought a new ticket.

Sorry I can’t tell you more just yet...

Sounds ominous! Not looking forward to what might be on offer (or not on offer!)

Rob.

Back