Black Friday....hmmmm

I created this thread just to mention I was disappointed at not seeing a discount on FCT. It has turned into a general bitch session from what I have read here. If only I could delete the whole thread I would. Let it be known I have no issues with N3V, in fact I truly appreciate what they have done over the years I have been here enjoying T:ANE and TRS19.

There is far more going on in this world to bitch about than a train sim. Some here need to grow up and just enjoy the pleasure of creating and running a route. Whether created for themselves or indeed for others to enjoy.

If Mr Hilliam is watching this thread may I suggest it has run its course and should be deleted,archived, or whatever.

Now I am going to get back to creating my latest route called Carisbrook and to hell with all this grumbling.
Cheers to all.
Val.

Yes, even I saw this thread go from just a personal view to a general session full of negativity.
To the OP: if you report your own thread (the starter post) and put in something like delete it something along those lines a mod should then come over and delete it from view.

Cheers and happy Trainzing

Well I for one appreciate all that N3V does for us, even if it doesn't always go to plan, the head man even takes part in the forum to get things sorted out! (I wonder if Bill Gates chats on the MS forums when there is a problem?)
How many of us turned to N3V during Covid lockdown? I know I did, did you?
Trainz is more than a Sim, it's a community too and there is nothing wrong with a business trying to make money. (been there, done that, even had my own customer forum).

If you don't like Trainz then do something else and let us get on with our hobby.

Graham,

The old fanboi :D

To the OP: if you report your own thread (the starter post) and put in something like delete it something along those lines a mod should then come over and delete it from view.

Note to Moderator.....please delete this thread.

While I understand the sentiment and I sympathize, I do have a problem with censoring posted opinions, no matter how much you may disagree with them, by deleting whole threads. Yes, there has been some negativity (that's the real world) but there have been some worthwhile points made and some misconceptions have been corrected. I would vote that, at worst, this thread be locked if it is felt that the "debate" has run its course. That way when the issue is raised again (and it will) we can have some history to point to.

My thoughts.

While I understand the sentiment and I sympathize, I do have a problem with censoring posted opinions, no matter how much you may disagree with them, by deleting whole threads. Yes, there has been some negativity (that's the real world) but there have been some worthwhile points made and some misconceptions have been corrected. I would vote that, at worst, this thread be locked if it is felt that the "debate" has run its course. That way when the issue is raised again (and it will) we can have some history to point to.
My thoughts.

I agree. Just let the thread run its course. Nothing wrong with a debate and there's plenty of positive comments made. Rightfully so.

Then perhaps they should have been concentrating on fixing what was broken before adding features......many of which break, thus adding to the things needing to be fixed!

Then people like you and Mike would complain about there being no new features added to the game like Mike already was, and it’s pretty hard to release a new version of something (to, you know, try and make a little money) when there’s nothing new.. you don’t really have much of a mind for business, do you?

And please, just for the record, find me a single game or software program that doesn’t have bugs. Go find me a billion dollar publisher that will sell 100 million copies of something that’s bug free and perfect. You’re expecting that much from N3V with 9 full-timers, so how doesn’t a Bethesda or Activision-backed company get it perfect?

That would be cool. I personally believe that the FCT system is really outdated now. Since it was established back when all most people had was 56K Dial Up internet. I doubt it though because I bet the FCT is a part of N3V's business model (and how they can continue to milk the money cow dry.)
I'm no big fan of nv3 but the cost of an fct is not exorbitant , in fact it's one of the few ongoing costs related to Trainz that I spend on, never buy payware now that jvc has stopped selling trees and I only buy the low end game, it's actually a fairly cheap game to play if you aren't interested in buying lots of new pay ware and you only stick to what's freeware and a yearly fct.

....... you don’t really have much of a mind for business, do you?
I guess not, which must be why I successfully managed the state office of an international company from 1984 to 1993 and saw it's profit margin explode, and then went on to run another (software & hardware) business between 1993 and 1998 and saw it's bottom line increase nicely over that time, and then went on to head up a software-publishing department for another multinational from 1998 until 2001 and watched its stocks increase.

No...not much of a mind for business, I'm afraid.

.......find me a single game or software program that doesn’t have bugs.....
Where did I say anything about bug-free software?
I don't expect any software to be faultless but Auran/N3V's track record is pretty questionable when you look at the number of Service Packs (a great term....covers a multitude of scenarios!) that have been issued over the past twenty years.

Your definition of a "fanboi" is anyone who doesn't agree 100% with your views.
With respect, I think you have it arse-about-face: his definition of "fanboi" would be those who can't abide criticism of Trainz.

With respect, I think you have it arse-about-face: his definition of "fanboi" would be those who can't abide criticism of Trainz.
It's rather like people who won't hear a word against apple , I use macs but I do so only because I like the interface, I defended them for decades against the hatred shown by many pc users but I don't do it anymore as they now make decisions that are mostly against the best interests of their customers , I don't think nv3 fall into that category , but they have a poor track record in recent years of releasing products that can drive users up the wall, it's two steps forward, one step back but also sometimes one step forward two steps back. Looks aren't everything in games , ease of use is also very important, too many defective service releases cause cynicism and frustration, nv3 fall into apples pit on occasion, too many updates and not enough reliability , people just get fed up of troubleshooting instead of the fun parts of using the software . It's hard for a small company to compete and I know they work hard , but I couldn't really recommend the app to anyone as I'd feel guilty about giving them so much to learn and cope with before they can enjoy the experience .

Well I have to concede, after two days going bananas trying to download simple items at 10kb/s (if lucky) with no consecutive d/l either, I folded and bought another FCT. Not an annual one but enough to tide me over until at least seeing what TRS22 is going to bring to the table.

Given - N3V is a small business. As such the base risk level is high. Their marketing flexibility is limited.

I am as guilty as the next person making impassioned complaints. However, criticism of people, who do make complaints, should not have their messages analyzed or commented on except by the target. Tony can handle himself. Being critical of a derogatory comment in an open forum leads to sides being drawn and away we go!

A back and forth becomes another Facebook/Twitter both of which are sewers of irrational, incorrect information and dangerous behavior. Example of dangerous is that statistically there is somebody on here who is not happy with their life and uses Trainz to mitigate depression. A comment from them receives a negatively critical response. The damage done by that single retort could have very serious medical consequences. Take care.

Last edited:
Tony dropped what appeared to be an obvious clue about December 1, so I am holding off buying an FCT until I see what that is about. Until then trying to decide what DLC to spring for on this sale.

Tony dropped what appeared to be an obvious clue about December 1, so I am holding off buying an FCT until I see what that is about. Until then trying to decide what DLC to spring for on this sale.
Well I plumped for six months, as even if something radical is announced in two days time either the implementation will be a few months off (given 22 is still in testing), or if a sudden release will be entertained six months gives a bedding in period and time for 22 to appear on Steam, assuming there is a conventional release of course.

I too, am curious about what N3V has to offer, and while I just activated an old FCT to get several large items and routes, I will wait off getting a new one until I see what this is all about.

Last edited:
In just 15 hours it will be December 1 in this date/time zone (or in 16 hours in the time zone where N3V is based). So hopefully we will see real soon(tm).

Back