Trainz Plus - Surveyor 2.0 Beta Release

Ah Google - if you google "palette window" (the technical term) you get: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palette_window

Further technical info:
Palette Window - A utility window which floats above the document window which contains one or more panels. (Technically the palette window contains a single tray and nothing else.)
Tray - An area on the screen reserved for holding panels. A palette window is one example of this; the left and right sides of the S20 user interface are others.
Panel - A rectangular portion of user interface, comprised of related user interface elements. Panels may exist within a Tray or Palette Window, in which case they can be dragged between the trays.

The problem is technically, we have hundreds of "panels" (each menu for example).

In their undocked state, they are correctly referred to as palettes. In their docked state, they are merely panels, but it's probably reasonable to continue to refer to them as palettes since their behaviour and use-case doesn't change based on whether they are docked or not.

They aren't toolboxes, nor tools (some of them have tools, others have information, others have data.

But we'll consider the options (being "technically correct" or finding something else that works instead).

Palette to me means paint.
What i think would be closer to the intent is toolbox or tool chest. These wordings would be more descriptive I think of what this whole grouping of activities is about.

You do not need to select a row in order to change its [hide/show, locked/unlocked] status .
>>
This is correct.

Looks really nice, far better for a user manual than a wiki. I left comments on one page concerning some of the wording used.

William

I would not dare argue with Google but it does offer a possible alternative in the line "palette window, also known as utility window" - but I concede that "Utilities" probably doesn't have the same ring as "Palette".

"Layer Utilities" v "Layers Palette"
"Asset Utilities" vs "Assets Palette"
"Tool Utilities" vs "Tools Palette" - both of which would make more sense than "Tools Toolbox"
"Brush Utilities" vs "Brush Palette"
"Info Utilities" vs "Info Palette" - "Info Palette" does sound a bit "colourless" and dry.
"Scrapbook Utilities" vs "Scrapbook Palette" - ditto for "Scrapbook Palette"

Just a suggestion.

All views on the matter are welcome. After all as the Bard (or was it "Bart"?) remarked "What's in a name"?

Fine here apart from palette which is going to confuse people, Palettes generally being associated with graphics programs, think Photoshop, Paintshop Pro and so on.

Fullest meaning I could find.https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/palette
[h=2]palette in American English[/h] (ˈpælɪt)
noun1. a thin and usually oval or oblong board or tablet with a thumb hole at one end, used by painters for holding and mixing colors

2. any other flat surface used by a painter for this purpose

3. the set of colors on such a board or surface

4. the range of colors used by a particular artist

5. the variety of techniques or range of any art
a lush but uneven musical palette

6. the complete range of colors made available by a computer graphics card, from which a user or program may choose those to be displayed

7. (in ancient Egyptian art) a somewhat flattish slate object of various shapes, carved with commemorative scenes or motifs or, esp. in the smaller pieces, containing a recessed area probably for holding eye makeup and often used as a votive offering

8. Also: pallette Armor a small plate defending the front of the armpit when the arm is lifted; gusset

More like: Pal, let me bum a cigarette, will you?

You could just call them what they are: detachable moveable scalable windows. Yes, I know I just caused all Apple users to have a hissy fit. What are they called in Apple-ese? iWindows?

Palette is fine. It is the correct technical terminology and anyone who has used any kind of graphics, CAD or 3D modelling software in the last 3 decades will understand completely. Trainz suffers somewhat from a rather large portion of the user base being slightly less technically literate. Whether that justifies using less than ideal terminology is a tough decision that you guys will have to make. :confused:

[h=3]What's Changed?[/h]
The old Copy/Paste Tool was limited to 90 degree rotation increments within the route where the copy or paste action was made.
The Scrapbook Tools allow sharing across routes, sharing between users, rescaling the data to any size, rotating the data to any direction, and give you full control to paste only the elements you want at any time.

The highlight for me and will make repeated sections of route building so much easier! Can't wait. For now, I'll switch to session building in TRS19 SP4 to save some precious route building time.

Thanks N3V,
Paul

Back