Moving entire Trainz install to a new PC and new Drive

Hi all!

Sorry if this has been asked but, I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

Basically I've just got a new gaming PC, my old PC had a Hard Drive but the new one has an SSD. I've installed T:ANE on the new SSD and moved the Hard Drive onto the new PC. Should I just dump the whole contents of the "build****" folder from the old Hard Drive into the correct place on the SSD to transfer all my assets over? I have about 40GB of stuff in the local folder on the Hard Drive.

Many thanks in advance!

I'm going to bump this thread because I'm getting a new M.2 2TB SSD to replace the old M.2 250GB SSD.

I also got a M.2 to USB reader to still use the old drive as backup and storage. What is the best way to transfer my TRS19 collection to the new install of TRS19 on the new drive?

Dave

Dave,

Install your M.2 device and set it up as you would normally. Install TRS19 as a new install and let it go through the motions for a new install.

Take your old database and copy that to your internal drive. If you have a second device, such as a D: drive, put it there and call the folder something like TRS19-DATA so you know what it is. There is no need to put it under the App Data/Local/N3V Games TRS19 folder.

After you've copied over your data-folder,

Startup your new TRS19 install.
At the Launcher, click on Trainz settings.
Click on Install tab.
Click on the ...
Browse to where the "old" data folder is located.
Click on it and click select. This will put that path into the open space above.

A quick "Updating Translation tables" bar will run.

If you check your account information, in the Internet tab, you should see your username and password since that was there all along in the database.

To confirm this is the right setup, click on Content Manager and check your content to ensure you have your routes in there.

As a side note, I use this process all the time to setup test folders for beta testing.

Hope this helps!

Hey John. I have been away from Trainz since about 2014 when I sold my desktop and have just recently purchased the laptop shown in my signature. I have downloaded TANE from the Auran website and it is running great on the new machine. I have an external/portable hard drive onto which I had downloaded all of my old TANE files way back then. It contains a DEM route that I had worked on for several years.
My current TANE install was put directly to the C: drive (I was advised a long time ago that this was the best place to put it). Is there a quick way to "drag and drop" my old TANE files into the new download?
I tried to make sense of the instructions located in the TANE launcher, but I am not the brightest bulb!
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Acer Nitro 5 ANS 17-54-79L1 Laptop
Intel i7-11800H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti, 17.3" FHD 144Hz IPS Display, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe SSD

Last edited:
Hi Connel,

By old TANE files do you mean your whole database, or just CDPs?

If it's your whole database:

Take your "old" TANE install folder and copy it to a location on your hard drive and rename that folder to something else like TANE_DATA so you don't delete it. It doesn't have to be in the C:\Users\<your name here\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE location either which helps a lot for editing and fixing assets.

Startup TANE as you normally would.

At the Launcher, go into Trainz Settings.
Click on the Install tab.
Click on the ... on the right-hand side of the long path.

Explorer will open up...

Browse to your "old" TANE install you copied.

Click on the folder and then click Select.

TANE will say something about updating translation tables and will want to restart.

Restart the program as directed and it'll will definitely run a lengthy DBR.

====
Now if this is just CDPs, it's easy. You can drag these files right into TANE content manager and you're all set.

I'm glad to see you around here and that's a nice laptop. My ancient Alienware is getting a bit long in the tooth with various issues and I'll be replacing it at some point with something a bit newer when my budget allows.

HA! I repeated everything I had typed above just for you too. :) As you go through the installation process mentioned here, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Hello John and thanks for the info. Here are the files that I have on the external drive:

Local
Original
SP1 build 80349
TANE
UserData

These files have different "Modification dates" associated with them. Will that make a difference if some contain the same info? Or will Trainz sort them all out?
The UserData file has "local" and "original" files contained within also.
I just kind of put what I thought was needed on the external drive to save my stuff, not really knowing what I was doing!

Thanks for all your help, you are a good friend.

Hello John and thanks for the info. Here are the files that I have on the external drive:

Local
Original
SP1 build 80349
TANE
UserData

These files have different "Modification dates" associated with them. Will that make a difference if some contain the same info? Or will Trainz sort them all out?
The UserData file has "local" and "original" files contained within also.
I just kind of put what I thought was needed on the external drive to save my stuff, not really knowing what I was doing!

Thanks for all your help, you are a good friend.

You want the complete contents of the UserData folder. You need to have everything together to make the complete data. The folders have different dates probably due to the dates the data was written to them, or not. Checking my Local folder for instance, the creation date is 9/1/2022 but the most recently updated folders are dated 10/14/2022.

In other words, be less concerned about the dates of the folders and only that all the folders are together.

If you don't have everything together, you may not be able to restore your data completely. :(

If you have a folder called build ************, where * is a mixture of letters and numbers, you copy that folder to your new location.

I just dropped the UserData folder from my OLD Tane install into the NEW Tane install and copied 70GB/271,000 items into it. After a DBR I am downloading missing dependencies from Content Manager.
Waiting to see what happens now!

Thanks for the help from both of you. Wish me luck.

That worked. I have my route that I was working on for quite a while a few years back. It is missing some buildings and textures that I cannot find on the download station, but overall it is intact. It is only about 20% complete and quite large, so I still have a lot of work to do.

Thanks to everyone's help with this.

Back