TRS22 Confirmed

Hi Annie - As you know, I am still using T-ANE as my current sim of choice having put TRS19 in the "major disappointment" bin. Shall look forward to hearing your opinion on "22" when you take that plunge because even T-ANE was a bit of a disaster when it was initially introduced, but the N3V folk eventually got it into a workable shape. Cannot say as they had the same success with TRS19, but I am optimistic that "22" will be very interesting. My biggest problem (and it is my problem and not N3V's) is that I have six Routes which form my staple for playing, modifying etc. If "22" is not receptive to importing those Routes, then I think that I will be at the "end of the road" with the sim. I cannot imagine putting another 200-300 hours into each Route just because of a new Trainz version. Please keep me posted. Regards. Colin.
Well one good thing I can mention about TRS19 SP4 is that I was able to make my rebuilt and upgraded version of 'Ashington' a blue Summer sky layout which is something I couldn't do in SP3. TRS22 is supposed to be further improved in this regard so I'm certainly hopeful. I don't want to derail this thread by discussing TRS19 SP4, but I'll certainly keep in touch with you Colin about my progress with TRS22 once I can get my hands on a retail copy.

Given the history of previous releases, This will just be a new coat of paint with some graphic improvements combined with compatibility issues for content for previous versions and multiple months or years will pass until they release a service pack that may or may not fix the problem and then abandoned development for the next version and the cycle just repeats. What annoys me so much with each new passing version is the lack of willingness by N3V devs to provide us a decent sound engine to give us much better sound effects in the game. Take for example Multiple track sounds based on where a train is at be it in tunnels, bridges, cement or wooden ties. Electric trains sound horrible in Trainz after all these years. There is no viable way to accurately replicate the motor sounds of a BR class 323 in Trainz for example. Even with diesel electrics, there is no way that I am aware of to accurately create the pitch effect of the traction motors.

In my opinion, BVE Simulator has always been far superior in sound effects / emersion and physics than Trainz. The sad thing is that BVE has been around since 1996 as a free railway simulator with plenty of content. You would think Auran / N3V would actually stop and think about fixing up the sound engine at some point in time since 2001. N3V devs should actually play BVE and learn how it's sound engine works and at least add that into Trainz. Instead they just release a new version without any new way to make good electric motor sounds for Trainz and so instead everyone just uses that god awful kuid:-25:144 that has been around since Trainz UTC.

Don't get me started on going over switches or diamond crossings!

But hey, if they release a whole new sound engine and I am proven wrong, I would offer them my payment info.

From what I've seen from others of the beta, there is no graphical improvement from TRS19 to TRS22 (unlike ts12 to TANE, and TANE to TRS19).:( If they did change the graphics significantly though (maybe add ray-tracing or something), that would void all my other concerns, and I would buy it in a heartbeat, as I'm all for better, more immersive, in-game graphics (like TSW2).

N3V devs should actually play BVE and learn how it's sound engine works and at least add that into Trainz.

I have a gut feeling no-one at N3V really takes much of an interest in what is happening outside their own little bubble, Not just for sound but all the other reasons I've mentioned previously in this thread where the other sims - including BVE and OpenBVE - just leave them in the dust. About the only thing that keeps me clinging to Trainz is its route editor and then only for model style layouts as so many aspects which can make or break the prototype experience are just absent.

And I agree, electric trains are a real problem as regards sound and cabs for that matter. I'm sure I found one a few weeks ago aliased to the old Auran Alco diesel sound, not impressed. Possible exception to that might be some of the more recent Russian stuff.

Great TRS 2022 is coming,
Just wondering what layouts will be available with the product ?
The ECML route split up into smaller routes would be a great advantage.

Great TRS 2022 is coming,
Just wondering what layouts will be available with the product ?
The ECML route split up into smaller routes would be a great advantage.

From https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?165766-Trainz-Plus-Beta-115373-(TRS22)-Now-available

So far these are the DLC packs that TRS22 will come with:
Bairnsdale to Orbost - simc:822
Beloreck - South Ural Mountains - simc:659
Liskeard to Looe - simc:633
West from Denver - simc:733

Cheers

I started with MSTS when it was the only game in town. After nothing but frustration trying to build my own route, I discovered Trainz almost 20 years ago. Since then while there have been some rough spots along the way, overall it has been a great ride. Being an open app has been one of its greatest strengths. Everyone can explore their own creativity without being told "no" you can't do that. This has also fostered a great sharing culture resulting in a DLS with thousands of objects that anyone can use. While everyone has their own standard of "good" if you don't like a particular object, don't use it. Others might like it for their own reasons - don't rain on their parade.

As for the other sims, I can only go by the reports of those brave enough to try them. Now I know that those on the public fora are only a small self-selected subset of all the users and that the squeaky wheels make the most noise but to stretch this allegory even more, where there is smoke there is fire. I've read enough about the issues in other sims to feel that I'm not missing out. Since my main focus is in creating objects and routes, any other sim that fails in that area is an automatic write-off. Doesn't matter how good it looks if basic creation is compromised or missing. Some people might only want good looks so for those, they would be a good fit.

I started with MSTS when it was the only game in town. After nothing but frustration trying to build my own route, I discovered Trainz almost 20 years ago. Since then while there have been some rough spots along the way, overall it has been a great ride. Being an open app has been one of its greatest strengths. Everyone can explore their own creativity without being told "no" you can't do that. This has also fostered a great sharing culture resulting in a DLS with thousands of objects that anyone can use. While everyone has their own standard of "good" if you don't like a particular object, don't use it. Others might like it for their own reasons - don't rain on their parade.

As for the other sims, I can only go by the reports of those brave enough to try them. Now I know that those on the public fora are only a small self-selected subset of all the users and that the squeaky wheels make the most noise but to stretch this allegory even more, where there is smoke there is fire. I've read enough about the issues in other sims to feel that I'm not missing out. Since my main focus is in creating objects and routes, any other sim that fails in that area is an automatic write-off. Doesn't matter how good it looks if basic creation is compromised or missing. Some people might only want good looks so for those, they would be a good fit.
Well said Martin. Colin

Yes very well said Martin. My first taste of Trainz was a second hand copy of TS2004 which swiftly led me to buying a brand new copy of TS2009 WBE. At the time I had only recently developed severe type1 narcolepsy which meant that I'd had to give up my almost life long interest in railway modelling and building layouts and I was feeling very depressed. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Trainz gave me my life back, even my doctor noticed the change in me and the improvement in my general state of health. So while I do agree that Trainz is an on-going work in progress and some things could be better and sometimes it drives me nuts when updates break stuff, - overall it's still better than what other railway sims are offering in terms of being able to build pretty much whatever you like with the thousands of freeware items on the DLS being a bonus that's hard to beat.
In case anybody is wondering I own a copy of Dovetail's simulator and I hate it. I did try MSTS, but never really managed to get on with it and about the only other railway sim I halfway liked was 'Diesel Railcar Simulator' which reminded me a lot of TS2009, but not enough to take it seriously.
The layouts I build are influenced by the coarse scale 'O' gauge models I used to build as well as the work of John Ahern and the Madder Valley Railway so they tend not to be as scenically intense or realistic as what some of the Trainz masters of the craft might build, but they make me happy and surely that's all that counts in the long run.

Back