Moving TRS2006 to a new computer

chamisa

I have a hunch some of you may think this is a pretty silly question, because who in their right mind even uses TRS2006 anymore? But I do, because I like it. And I've used it to create a few layouts that are really important to me to keep. But I have this new whiz-bang super-duper gaming computer (and still want TRS2006 on it :hehe:), and I need to know how to transfer all my stuff to it. I've installed TRS2006 on it and it works beautifully. I think I may have a hunch about transferring my assets (but wouldn't mind some ideas on how to do that), but I have NO CLUE how to transfer my layouts.

I'm using a PC with Windows 10.

Help? :)

Thank you much,
Cristi

The simple way is to create .cdp files of your assets then copy them onto your new computer then import them.

TS2006 runs on a single core and your new computer probably has at least 4 if not more cores so three quarters of your new CPU power won't be used.

If you have a GPU TS2006 doesn't really make much use of it, you won't see much difference to using integrated graphics.

I'd probable suggest moving to TS19 plat but even TANE would at least take more advantage of your new hardware. Most TS2006 content should run as is.

Cheerio John

As much as I appreciate your help, and I do, you've completely lost me.

1. Where do I find "assets"? And are these the things I downloaded from Content Manager, like rolling stock and track and trees? Where would I find them? And how would I make them into .cdp files? And where would I put those .cdp files?
2. What about my layouts? Are those assets, too? Where would I find them?

As much as I appreciate your help, and I do, you've completely lost me.

1. Where do I find "assets"? And are these the things I downloaded from Content Manager, like rolling stock and track and trees? Where would I find them? And how would I make them into .cdp files? And where would I put those .cdp files?
2. What about my layouts? Are those assets, too? Where would I find them?

Great questions, chamisa. An asset is anything Trainz uses to make stuff with, say a locomotive, freight car, scenery object or route. Yes, your layouts are assets, and you downloaded them from the Content Manager, or today's DLS. I used to play TRS2004 and I (being young) did not know of such wonders. A .cdp is a file that contains Trainz assets, and you can export an asset to CDP from content manager. Simply right click on the asset you want to export and find "Export to CDP," this should place it on your disk. Then move it to a thumb drive or other medium and move it to your new computer. Hope this helped!

Thanks DARTrider. I don't know where the assets are. And I didn't download the layouts: I made them myself. Are they still considered assets?

I have a "local" file packed with folders called "content" and a bunch of numbers and letters attached to each "content" folder. Inside each of these folders is stuff like this: bmps, txts, a "chump" file, sometimes a "tga" file, sometimes "wav" files, jpg files, and evt files, and an "im" file. And sometimes other folders are within those folders and obviously have to do with freight car builds. I have a hunch, then, that this is all the content I've downloaded, but I don't know what to do with it. And I still don't know where the layouts I've created are.

I suppose I could sacrifice the layouts, but I'm really, really attached to the one I was working on for the Chili Line.

Thanks DARTrider. I don't know where the assets are. And I didn't download the layouts: I made them myself. Are they still considered assets?

I have a "local" file packed with folders called "content" and a bunch of numbers and letters attached to each "content" folder. Inside each of these folders is stuff like this: bmps, txts, a "chump" file, sometimes a "tga" file, sometimes "wav" files, jpg files, and evt files, and an "im" file. And sometimes other folders are within those folders and obviously have to do with freight car builds. I have a hunch, then, that this is all the content I've downloaded, but I don't know what to do with it. And I still don't know where the layouts I've created are.

I suppose I could sacrifice the layouts, but I'm really, really attached to the one I was working on for the Chili Line.

The layouts are also assets, don't worry. The letters and numbers are a KUID value, each player has one. Mine is 950560. The number after the colon is the asset identifier, for example the KUID for my CD&N GP35 is <kuid:950560:100739>. A TGA is an image file, a WAV file is a waveform file, for music, a BMP is an image file, a CHUMP file is a bad config file, you'll need to revert the asset to the original. I recommend searching around YouTube for help as I'm not super technical :hehe:

You should have something like content manager floating around when you start up TS2006 as an option. You may be able to filter on mystuff. Right click and save to .cdp but I don't have TS2006 around so the steps might be slightly different.

You could simply try copying your local folder to the new computer in the same place and see what happens. The other thing to do is copy the entire installation from one machine to the other. External SSDs are useful for this or a Ugreen enclosure and a hard drive same as you use for a backup.

Cheerio John

Just wanted to check in to thank John and DARTrider for their great tips. We were able to get the whole shebang up and running this morning. I also wanted to thank my awesome wife Bayleh for helping me figure out what to do and how to do it.

I'm going to list our steps here, as much as I can remember them, in case someone else wants to do the same thing:

I installed a fresh copy of TRS 2006 on the new PC, from the disks.
I installed the service pack (SP1 which will bring the system to Version 3.0.9.2}, aka the patch, on the new PC. https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=12130
I opened the Content Manager on my old PC (beware! you apparently can't have them both open at the same time, on both PC's).
I clicked on the Assets bar, which is blue, above the list of Content, to change it to Text View so I could see a list.
Starting at the top of the list, I pressed Control and clicked on each asset that had a green triangle next to it. I didn't do all of them at once, or even too many of them, because if you do, Control Manager will choke as you're trying to save, and you'll get nothing. You'll end up making your first collection of assets and turning them into one CDP file.
Once I had my first batch of assets clicked in this way, I right-clicked on one of them and chose "save to CDP," which created my first batch of assets, which I named CDP1. (I made sure to keep track of where I was on the list so that I could continue on with Control-clicking for the next batch. If you don't do this and the program chokes, you'll have trouble figuring out where you last stopped).
My next batch was CDP2, and so on. I ended up with 30 CDP files. (30 batches of CDP's).
I put those 30 CDP files in a folder and used a terabyte hard drive to transfer them over to my new PC.
I closed the Content Manager on the old PC.
I opened the Content Manager on the new PC.
I clicked "File" and then "Import CDP Files."
I directed it to where I had moved the 30 new CDP files and clicked to import each one.
I right-clicked on one asset in the resulting list (it doesn't matter which one) and selected "Select All." They'll all turn blue.
I right-clicked in the blue field (it doesn't matter where) and looked at the drop-down menu. I hovered over "Edit," and then selected "Commit."
I started up Trainz and on the entry menu I clicked "Options." For Display Settings, I chose 1280x1024. I could have chosen much higher, but I figured it wouldn't make any difference if I did.
For Tuning Settings, things were already pretty high, but I increased the Draw Distance. For Advanced Options, I increased the Resource Cache Size to 512, the highest offered.
Presto. :)

Good thing it worked. Happy to help!
If you do decide to get a later Trainz version (2010, 12, T:ANE, 19, etc) just repeat this process.

Back