Adjusting elevation "in bulk"?

tirediron

Is there a method by which large areas of elevation can be adjusted? I have a layout of let's say, 5x10 boards, and I want to set one row of five boards to an elevation of 50' above the zero datum; is there any tool which will allow me to do this all at once, or is it a matter of "painting" over the whole area with the elevation brush?

Not in the current Surveyor 1.0 but the ability to set the height of multiple baseboards at once (exactly how many is as yet unknown) is promised for the forthcoming Surveyor 2.0.

One "cheat" you can use is to assign a region asset to your route that has its altitude set at the desired height. This will set the "zero datum" for the entire route to that height with individual baseboards above and below that height according to their relative displacements. Not the desired solution in many cases but the best that is currently available in Surveyor 1.0

Thanks! Hopefully that 2.0 version is here soon.

You'll have to wait quite some time for it unfortunately. Surveyor 2.0 is going to be tested soon(tm) by the Plus users and then it'll be eventually, hopefully with fingers crossed, be included with TRS2022 or some other future version. At the moment, even us Plus users haven't had a chance break it.

There is another way and that is to use Tools/Copy & Paste/Height. To do this:

Make an area of the desired elevation using the terrain brush. Then copy and paste height of a reasonably sized rectangular or square area. I have found this can be faster for doing large areas, but if you get carried away, or do it too quickly, expect a CTD (crash to desktop) as a result. So save often.

Now if you add a texture to the area you copy from, you can have a different texture for each pasted elevation by Copy & Paste/Height and Textures., so it makes visualizing elevation differences much easier. Once you are done terraforming and have smoothed out the terrain differences, just reset all these textures to the grid or whatever.

Also, Tools/Copy & Paste Height will also paste water. This is useful when you want to create large area of ocean or lakes. For an ocean, copy terrain at say -20M with water and you can quickly make large areas of water.

Last edited:
There is another way and that is to use Tools/Copy & Paste/Height. To do this: [....]
Also, Tools/Copy & Paste Height will also paste water. This is useful when you want to create large area of ocean or lakes. For an ocean, copy terrain at say -20M with water and you can quickly make large areas of water.

Thanks a lot, Schweitzerdude, for that interresting suggestion, to witch I had never tought !
Jean 54, Islands maker

If the area you want to raise is flat (no hills or mountains) you can use the topology tool 'use height' to raise it. I just raised an industrial route I made years ago from 0m to 1016m using this tool. It flattened a small hill I had and it was a pain to raise some scenery it left behind but it was worth the extra effort for me.

Jacob

Back