Cant download route from content manager

coalsootkid

I have TRS19 and I tried to download the Cattaraugus and Lake Erie TRS19 route with the built in content manager. It nearly took 4 constant days of downloading only to have the server connection interrupted so I lost all the progress I made. Is there any way I can download faster? My internet download speed should be 15 mbps but the download was averaging 4.8kb/s. Is there a setting I need to change on my computer?

Have you verified your base speed with an internet speed checker. I think the name is OOKLA for one of them. Goggle it.

Unfortunately, without a First Class Ticket, you will average about 9k until you approach the daily limit, at which time you will drop down to 4k until the next day. Also unfortunately, N3V has never fixed large downloads, and losing the connection is a common occurrence. It is actually a failure to complete the process. In T:ANE, it was all there and if you clicked to download again, it would just finish and install. With 2019 it does not do that, it just starts all over. I am not sure why or how it fails to complete, but this is not new, and it is something they don't seem to want to acknowledge or fix. It does not happen with the FCT where the downloads are faster.

Unfortunately, without a First Class Ticket, you will average about 9k until you approach the daily limit, at which time you will drop down to 4k until the next day. Also unfortunately, N3V has never fixed large downloads, and losing the connection is a common occurrence. It is actually a failure to complete the process. In T:ANE, it was all there and if you clicked to download again, it would just finish and install. With 2019 it does not do that, it just starts all over. I am not sure why or how it fails to complete, but this is not new, and it is something they don't seem to want to acknowledge or fix. It does not happen with the FCT where the downloads are faster.

The disconnect is a timeout condition related to the FTP file service and I don't think there's a fix for that. Timeouts are notorious on very slow connections and in particular with wireless connections.

Understood John, but they changed something between T:ANE and 2019 whereby you used to at least have the asset downloaded and it would complete on a subsequent try, now you get to start all over.

Tip: I found this out by accident, but if you select, "Download this Version" instead of "Download", the CM will download only the route and not all the dependencies, which results in you having to download all the dependencies manually, but it shouldn't time out for you. I don't know if it'll still time out for you if you do this as I'm a Silver Class subscriber and that comes with a First Class Ticket that automatically renews itself each month and I don't have that route.

Understood John, but they changed something between T:ANE and 2019 whereby you used to at least have the asset downloaded and it would complete on a subsequent try, now you get to start all over.

Something has changed, I noticed that as well. I noticed that in the past, files would copy to completion before the next file downloaded. The new system pulls multiple files at once. This multiple open files could cause some connections to timeout from being overwhelmed due to too many retries. While slower, the old way was more stable for slower connections.

Tip: I found this out by accident, but if you select, "Download this Version" instead of "Download", the CM will download only the route and not all the dependencies, which results in you having to download all the dependencies manually, but it shouldn't time out for you. I don't know if it'll still time out for you if you do this as I'm a Silver Class subscriber and that comes with a First Class Ticket that automatically renews itself each month and I don't have that route.

This is a good thing to remember. Good discovery!

Dang, that sucks, might as well get it for a month and download the routes I want.

Back