Question about good, CHEAP railroad Scanners as Christmas gift

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I've got a question and it has to do with the Holidays coming up. I've been asked what I want for Christmas and what I want is a new Scanner to listen into the chatter used by the railroads around me. The one I currently have is a Radioshack Race 1000, which is supposed to be used for NASCAR races. Now with Radioshack stores defunct, and already having to replace the antenna of my scanner, I'd like to get a new scanner, but the scanner I want, a Uniden BC125AT Scanner, is out of stock. Because of this, I'm therefore reaching out to the Trainz Forums to ask what's a good, reliable, cheap scanner out there?

Last edited:
It looks like there is still a couple of hundred "Authorized RadioShack Dealers" in the U.S.A. They carry scanners. Some for only $99.99 but they seemed to be "sold out". Try Ham Radio Outlet at www.hamradio.com .

Last edited:
Well, apparently I was wrong ‘cause I just opened my presents and they did buy me the $100 scanner I wanted, which is a Uniden BC125AT Scanner.

Congratulations on the gift. That's a nice scanner. I have their Home Patrol 1. I can pick up railroads too with it and I use it to listen to Pan Am when they run, which is rare.

Unfortunately, my computer is at home and I’m at my Grammy’s house, who doesn’t have a computer, so I can’t enjoy any of the goodies released for Trainz.

Back