Can't delete old track

Forester1

Greetings! I downloaded <kuid:187625:101970> Yosemite Valley RR V2, and it is missing one asset. I have posted it in the missing assets thread to no avail, so I thought I would just get creative on my own. I have the YVRR Merced Oil Tank by trainboi which does not appear to be in the route, so I thought I would place that where the missing asset is (which just happens to be in Merced!). But it is an industry, so it has a short length of track of its own.
The location I want to put it has "Auran TS2009 Rails Only" track, which no longer appears to be available? The closest I can find is <kuid2:523:1215:1> Auran TS2009 RailsOnly 36in, but if I do a "get" on the track it chooses <kuid2:523:1216:3> TANE Trk Rails Only. Regardless, neither one will allow me to insert splines for the oil tank, and neither will allow me to delete that short section of rails-only track. It's like it doesn't recognize that piece of track, even though it gives me the name of it if I hover over it (unfortunately it does not give me the KUID). If I could delete that short length, I could piece together some current track to fit the Oil tank.

Is there some procedure whereby I could delete this short length of track so I could put the oil tank in? I tried deleting the track at either end, but that still leaves this short piece of rails only track. I could try to bury it, but I don't think it will allow me to make height adjustments either. Any tips? Thanks for any assistance!

Just copy a "blank" area over the offending track - all gone!

A Delete Missing Assets would also clear it up, but also delete anything else you have missing or disabled, so it requires a bit more care to use that.

Thank you so much for the quick response Tony!
That is the odd thing about this track. It doesn't show as missing or unknown, so it is apparently recognized, but it isn't actually in my CM as what it is called, and the surveyor "get" doesn't get the right track. So why would Delete Missing Assets delete it if it isn't actually missing? I did not try bulk asset replace, but I could try that, but if "get" doesn't do a proper recognition I am not sure that will work either. I am also not sure I want to do a global replace on the whole route. I will try copying a blank area over it, but I will have to be careful, as there are several things close by, and I am not very practiced on how copy and paste works with shapes of any kind.

That piece of track was part of the industry that got separated from its parent object. It won't delete because it is a fixed track that is in the config of the industry asset.

<kuid2:523:1216:3> TANE Trk Rails Only
<kuid2:523:1216:2>
<kuid2:523:1216:1> Auran TS2009 RailsOnly
<kuid:523:1216> Auran TS2009 RailsOnly

That is confusing.
Was this the parent object?
<kuid:187625:100343> by ballcd
That is the missing asset I can't find that is over that area (orange wireframe).
How would it get separated?
From the versions, it looks like this is just an Auran piece of track.
If it is in the config of a missing industry, how would it even be on the route? Why would it not have been deleted along with the industry?
I will try Tony's ideas and see if I have any luck.

Tony's method will work. D-L-M as he said will remove other things you don't want to just yet.

I ended up Deleting Missing Objects, which removed the orange wireframe. But the track is not delete-able, so I put the Merced Oil Tank in place then sunk it down so the industry track for it doesn't show. So it won't work as an industry, but it will look ok with the rails only still in place. It would be great if the CRG could repair this though, as there isn't really a good solution that I can see, and yet again, I have my own version of a route, and no fix for anyone else.

The CRG only repairs faulty content that's on the Download Station. If it's not on the DLS, the CRG will not fix it. Because the industry is not on the DLS, the CRG will not fix it. I know they fix routes, as they've updated a few of my routes, but I don't know how that works.

@Jordon412: It is my hope that since this is a DLS route, the CRG could fix it. It lists as "Missing Dependencies", but really with the industry missing, and the track not removable, it should be considered faulty, although there is nothing to actually keep the route from working, just that industry is no good and can't be replaced.
@Trev999: I think invisible track works about the same as visible track. I can't remove the original or replace it, so I can't connect to the normal track on either end. I think the other alternative would be to remove the normal track on both ends, leaving the rails-only track abandoned, then start at the junction and run normal track alongside the rails only track. I could then splice in the oil tower and use it as an industry on the normal track. The rails-only track would just look like no longer used rail, which would be correct! :D. I may just try that and see how authentic I can make it! Again, though, it only fixes it for me, and everyone else has to end up doing the same thing if they want to use it like that, and then everyone ends up with their own personal copy.

I am sure there is a backstory to how the industry disappeared but the track got left. Dunno if we will find out.

Last edited:
Here is another odd. Since I added the Merced oil tank and saved the route, it is now missing two more assets, but when I look at the original route, it does not have these assets, nor are they missing from the Merced oil tank. So where did they (not) come from?
<kuid:103021:100990>
<kuid:103021:100904> both by lilb

But I did reroute the track and get the oil tank installed as a working industry. Loks pretty good and you can see the old rails-only behind it:
Merced-Oil-Tank.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably references to all kinds of assets in the asset-table. The only real way to remove them and clean up the route is to run delete-missing-assets, but I'm not sure you want to run this right now. I recommend replacing what you can and then run the the delete-missing-assets to clean up the rest.

Problem partially solved. This is a turntable that ballcd has tried to clone to use standard gauge track.
Look at <kuid:68213:28048> Turntable NZ 30m NG36 2 and you will see it fits exactly into place.
You can delete the track by copying a 10m x 5m (10m) section of ground next to it and just paste over the spline points at each end of the rail only. The track will then become deletable.

Thanks guys. I think I am happy with it now that I have the oil tank installed and working as an industry. Not sure why it wasn't there in Merced anyway. I will keep the info about the turntable in my back pocket in case I want the added activity somewhere down the line. It may well be that I will be wanting a turnaround there. Still NO idea on the missing lilb assets.

Last edited:
EDIT: Incorrect post. Will post a shot when I get a version with the turntable. Downloading the turntable now.
EDIT2: Disregard. I tried the above mentioned turntable, and while it went in smoothly, it is not height adjustable. It sits lower in the ground than any of the track around it, and efforts to adjust things ended up being a lot of unsatisfactory fiddling until I finally decided it was not worth it. I may look around for a rustic looking turntable of similar size that will be more adjustable, or sit naturally slightly higher at the surrounding ground level.
EDIT3: Final story: I had a more retro turntable in place. Had the same height issues as the NZ one, and I like the look of NZ better, so I put NZ back in, added the Skagway water column near the water tank, then installed the oil tank near to the water tank. A bit rough getting the ground heights smoothed out, and the turntable is narrow gauge, but a test loco went over it OK without derailing, so close enough for this effort, I think:
MercedFinalF.jpg

Last edited:
Back