Signaling Question/ Debate

bnsfc

Steam Nut
Ok, got a bit of a debate going on in the model train club I'm a part of and am looking for support. I'm 99% sure my position is right but hey, never hurts to ask.

Layout is a Free-mo modular deal and the member who owns a intermodal+ yard is looking to install some signals. Its modular so this isn't a installing CTC or ATC on the whole layout, just this bit of it. The ends of the yard are functionally mirrors of each other apart from some difference's on the spurs. Double track main has 2 crossovers (track 1-2, 2-1) and then 2 switch's branching off the mains, 1 per side, into sidings for the container yard on one side and other industrys on the other. Past that there is 1 final switch off the main into a general storage or passing siding off what I guess we will call track 1.

The debate revolves around how the signals are placed. right now the member has a signal bridge with 3 heads over the 2 mains and storage siding, but with the heads facing the rest of the switches. My position is that the heads on this bridge should be turned around as to protect the entrance into the interlocking (think that's the right term) while other signals on the other side facing out from the module protect it from that direction.

His position is that the bridge is there to show occupancy of the mains and siding to trains approaching the yard, and another double signal bridge will show occupancy on the other side of the switch's, but facing the same way as the 3 head bridge.

There will also be single stalks on the siding to protect entrance to the main, that part is settled.

Any weigh-ins are welcome, bonus points for documentation/ proof! If needed I can set up a rough demo in game and screenshot it, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Ok, got a bit of a debate going on in the model train club I'm a part of and am looking for support. I'm 99% sure my position is right but hey, never hurts to ask.

Layout is a Free-mo modular deal and the member who owns a intermodal+ yard is looking to install some signals. Its modular so this isn't a installing CTC or ATC on the whole layout, just this bit of it. The ends of the yard are functionally mirrors of each other apart from some difference's on the spurs. Double track main has 2 crossovers (track 1-2, 2-1) and then 2 switch's branching off the mains, 1 per side, into sidings for the container yard on one side and other industrys on the other. Past that there is 1 final switch off the main into a general storage or passing siding off what I guess we will call track 1.

Any weigh-ins are welcome, bonus points for documentation/ proof! If needed I can set up a rough demo in game and screenshot it, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

You should study the BNSF yard and approaches at Shelby, MT, on Google Earth or Google Maps. It has a very similar configuration. It's changed quite a bit since HP-Trainz' Marias Pass but the basic trackage is the same. There is a signal bridge spanning all tracks at the west end, as your member has his; the approach signals are all single pole.

:B~)

Back