improve present computer.

There is the ever more pressing matter of creating landfill, profligate using-up of resources, planet-rape to get them and all the rest.

<snip>

I have to make the new PC last at least 15 years now.

A lot of food for thought, and some good advice there!

All my old and superseded electronic gear gets recycled through a local collection, recycle, reuse scheme. The ones that are still working can be repurposed. I repurposed a Windows 7 notebook computer, a retirement gift from 10 years ago, into a Linux computer. I still have it but rarely use it these days.

I strongly agree with your suggestion of buying things that are of higher quality that are "over-spec" so that they will continue to work for much longer. In my earlier days I usually bought "cheap and nasty" and relied on doing some limited upgrades myself but I quickly found that doing a "mix and match" with low cost components does not give the best performance or component life and can lead to more waste, both material and financial.

I have never owned a car and have always relied heavily on public transport. Here in Australia that only really works in the major cities, unfortunately in the regional and "outback" areas (which is about 99% of the country) that option does not exist. I resisted getting a mobile phone until fairly recently. All my household garbage is sorted into recycle, compost or landfill, with the latter now the smaller of the three. But I am certain that there is a lot more I, and all of us, could do to help the environment.

Regards
Peter

I just read a review on the new Intel I9, and it said it is a real barnburner, but it sounds like you need your own substation and a good home air conditioning. Probably runs Trainz great though! :hehe:

I just read a review on the new Intel I9, and it said it is a real barnburner, but it sounds like you need your own substation and a good home air conditioning. Probably runs Trainz great though! :hehe:

It would probably heat you home very well on those cold winter nights as well.

Back