Frame Rate limiting to be added to TRS19?

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
I am now using an AMD 6800XT graphics card and one of the things I have noticed about these new generation cards is that they can and will attempt to run extremely high frame rates (ie; FPS). Because of this problem I have noticed that the graphics card really throttles in TRS19.

A number of games, such as Civilization VI, have added a frame rate limit setting to their configuration settings to deal with this problem. The limit settings for Civ VI are No limits, 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Before I implemented this setting in Civ VI the graphics card really throttled and produced a lot of heat. After I restricted the frame rate to 60 FPS the problem went away.

Are there plans to implement frame rate limits in TRS19 to support these new generation graphic cards?

Bob

Yes there is. The settings are similar to CIV VI. You limit the frame rates by going into the settings in the Launcher. Under the General tab, you can change the Vertical sync from None to Full or Half. This limits the frame rates to a maximum of 60 or 30 fps.

Hope this helps.

Yes there is. The settings are similar to CIV VI. You limit the frame rates by going into the settings in the Launcher. Under the General tab, you can change the Vertical sync from None to Full or Half. This limits the frame rates to a maximum of 60 or 30 fps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that information!

Funny. I have been working with computers since 1979 (my first computer was a Radio Shack TRS80), but didn't know this about VSynch. I decided to do some research on this after reading your reply and found these:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/vsync-should-i-turn-it-on-or-off

and

https://www.gamingscan.com/what-is-v-sync/

Given this information, then why do games such as CIV VI still have a frame limiter setting?

Bob

With Civ VI the frame limiter appears to do the same job as it does in TRS19, to prevent frame tearing. I went from a 1060 to a 1660ti and turned on the frame limiter at about the same time, although that was an attempt to cure graphical corruption on enormous maps where a diagonal band would corrupt the visuals. The warnings in red when starting the hugest maps seem to become less relevant with more CPU and GPU processing power.
Pericles and Gorgo are great to play due to the extra wildcard slot.
cheers
Graeme

Thanks for that information!
Funny. I have been working with computers since 1979 (my first computer was a Radio Shack TRS80), but didn't know this about VSynch. I decided to do some research on this after reading your reply and found these:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/vsync-should-i-turn-it-on-or-off
and
https://www.gamingscan.com/what-is-v-sync/

Given this information, then why do games such as CIV VI still have a frame limiter setting?
Bob

Hello,
I'm a Mac guy but when I got TRS19 Early Release I built a Win10 system for my gaming. I made sure I purchased a monitor that had G-Synch. However, my game runs best (less stutter) when I run with my game Vertical sync set to NONE. My NVIDIA control panel also has G SYNC turned OFF. Thus, my best results are with no sync in game or GPU. But that's just my experience. Your's will likely vary. Admittedly, my monitor is a "gaming monitor" but it's low end (ASUS VP247) - But I'm very happy with how my game runs if all the settings are proper.

Btw.. thanks for all your contributions to the community.

Last edited:

Bob

Horses for courses, same thing just a different way of naming it in this case as it's 30 or 60fps.

Alternatively for those with an Nvidia GPU you can now set the frame rate in the Nvidia Control Panel on a per application or game basis with the Max Frame rate setting which is on a slider from 20fps up to 1000fps not sure what would need that though!

Setting seems to have been added fairly recently, I would presume AMD have something similar?

Hello,
I'm a Mac guy but when I got TRS19 Early Release I built a Win10 system for my gaming. I made sure I purchased a monitor that had G-Synch. However, my game runs best (less stutter) when I run with my game Vertical sync set to NONE. My NVIDIA control panel also has G SYNC turned OFF. Thus, my best results are with no sync in game or GPU. But that's just my experience. Your's will likely vary. Admittedly, my monitor is a "gaming monitor" but it's low end (ASUS VP247) - But I'm very happy with how my game runs if all the settings are proper.

Btw.. thanks for all your contributions to the community.

These days there are so many graphic configuration settings to play with that it is hard sometimes to know the best one to use both overall and for specific games/simulations.

My video display hardware is as follows:

Monitor: ASUS VG279QM 27inch 1920x1080 with Refresh rate: 240mhz and response time of 1ms. For more information see: https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG279QM/

Graphic card: AMD Radeon 6800XT Midnight Black Edition. For more information see: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt

Trainz build version: TRS19 SP4 (build 114800)

My desire is to have good PBR performance and realistic looking graphics while keeping Graphics card throttling and heat as lowest as possible. My TRS19 SP4 graphics settings are as follows:

Graphic-settings-SS1.jpg

and

Graphic-settings-SS2.jpg

and

Graphic-settings-SS3.jpg

As for my content contributions, you are welcome!

Bob

My settings are similar for my GTX 1080TI except for the tree detail which I dropped down to normal. I find the Speed Trees really push my graphics card when the setting is on high.

I too started in computers around the same time. I built my first machines in the 1980s while working for an early hardware manufacturer that introduced a portable IBM compatible and a CP/M based desktop system. I had both at one time but still have the portable, well a portable from the 1980s was about 26 lbs. with no battery.

Back