Placing objects under the ground level

PTrains

Hello community, I don't know if it has been discussed already but I will try to ask this. So, I do need to place something underneath the ground since I am working on a prototipical route and I have imported the ground levels with DEM (using Transdem tool). The problem is that it seems there is no such function in surveyor that allows me to go under the ground level, when it comes to place objects inside a tunnel, such as a signal for istance. The tunnel is far below the ground, as we speak abount a mountain and the rail is going far below it, so it is hard for me to place something inside this tunnel and also to phisically change the direction of the objects.

I know that Trainz is not ideal for prototipical works, but it's hard to believe that you cannot use such great editor for some basic stuff such as ignoring the ground texture and work underneath the ground level (just like MSTS was doing back in the day).

Anybody else had this kind of issue? Is there any solution/workaround to such request?

hi Ptrains
Surveyor > Display menu, icon 4 from left
Show Wireframe (shortcut key F9)
This turns grid texture and textures off

A signal is a trackside item and snaps to track, later you can rotate or move it
hope this helps
greetings GM

Hi GM, and thank you for the answer. I was aware of the F9 view but this is not resolving my issue. So let me explain it to you, in order to understand it better.
Assuming I have a rail passing inside a mountain that is high 1000 meters, and the rail is at 0 meter level, you can imagine that the track, viewed at 1000 meters of height is extremely tiny, making it impossible to place anything on it. How could you work in such situation? F9 is only hiding the texture, but not removing the camera collision of the ground, so I really don't know how to work on it.

Also I'm kindly bound to the current terrain as I've said I've imported it from Transdem (another GREAT missing feature of the surveyor, is to import DEM data directly from the game), so if I change the terrain to place any objects on the track I cannot restore the actual terrain shape as it was before.

There are no other solutions? Is that really impossible to place anything properly underneath the ground?

If you can't get to the track, bring the track to you :)

try this method..
disconnect the external track where it joins the tunnel at the portals.
raise each tunnel track spline node to a height where it is above the terrain.
add your signals, track markers etc..
put the track back to the original height.
reconnect the extenal track.
job done.

Cheers,

Graham

If you can't get to the track, bring the track to you :)
...Cheers,

Graham
I agree with that advice. And instead of raising each spline point manually you could use the remove gradient tool as another option. You might not have to disconnect any track but not much extra involved in any case. Just click on the vertices within the tunnel and the track should float on the surface of the terrain. If you noted the gradients on the track sections before you let it float you could just reapply them starting from one at the correct height to reset the track to original track grade.

Bob Pearson

instead of raising each spline point manually you could use the remove gradient tool
Bob Pearson

Oh, the very elegant solution! Only one problem persists, but it is rarely posed, except to make my signature: it is to position a camera in a tunnel. the solution consists in leveling the ground, positioning the camera, then recreating the elevation of the ground, which you don't want since you have Transdem data. You could try to copy the ground in absolute, not in relative, paste it for example on a blank tile on the periphery of the project, for the case that you lose the data, level the mountain, position the camera in the tunnel, and glue the part of relief made in Transdem !

Back