Regional Weather Rule for T:ANE and TRS19 (beta update)

G.M.

Around 2009 pitkin made a fun rule called Regional weather (old version on DLS)
recently I discovered it (he made me aware of it and we have daily mail contact)
I noticed in the last versions it was not usable mainly because the changes in interface
so did some changes to make Pitkins great idea workable again.

What is it?
In Trainz normally you set weather for your entire route/session
With this rule you can make it more Local, based on your train that has the focus

How does it work?
In the main rule screen, you ADD a trackmark, one of the trackmarks you have in your session
in the EDIT trackmark screen, you can set what will change when your train is close
so different weather, or different weather changeability

The main screen, you can set, the range(circle) around the trackmark
the update time(how often it checks)
and a selection of 4 different scenarios, which makes the 4 seasons possible
beside local also "overall" weather can be set

the 4 screens and how they interact

Condensed Manual:
-install it in Tane or TRS19
-In your sessions, Edit Session in Surveyor, add it to the rules
-the main screen pops up and you can set it up
-select a trackmark in your route/session, set the "local" weather in the EDIT screen
-save the session, go out of Trainz
-Restart Trainz, play your session, in Driver you can modify/finetune more
-you can minimize the screen, in TRS19 it is in the window menu, in Tane right side top bar
-beside the "local" weather you can also set overall weather for the entire session

Changelist v6:
-all text made readable and fitting the interfaces
-Design conform Tane/Trs19 style
-made a 4 part browser unity
-defaults added for radius, update time and scenario
-also possible to set in Surveyor (saved in session)

Known issues:
-Using F2 quickdrive, not recommended (specially broken in SP4)
-It might take a few, session saves before all works as designed
-behavior with UDS unknow (for me)
-very long trackmark names mess up the interface
-it takes time before weather changes end, this is Trainz not the rule
-some older functions used can give warnings but it should work
(I tried hours of repair, but it ended up no longer working)
-Only use 1 weather change rule at a time in a session or unpredictable behavior

so Pitkin and me present: Regional Weather v6
have fun with it and give some feedback
Seasons greetings GM

Did You ever consider to make a connection of such rule to the real weather online server?

A good idea in theory JAGG, but beside being hard to do with the current scripting language
most of us try to escape/forget the real world when we play Trainz :)
ty for the feedback

21 downloads
and 1 positive response via pm received

That message did however contain something that worries me:
I have come to find uncomfortable to post in the forums: Who should answer, ignores my/our observations and eventually gets upset, or other members come with answers or solutions that are irrelevant. So, for now I read only.

Please try to realize not only are we all different,
but in the end we all love Trainz and we can all have fun with it.
It should not be that users feel uncomfy to post.

Anyway, not often a thread in this forum part that actually shows development or offers something
somehow complaints (95% of forum posts) get attention only, a surprise to me.
for things to evolve, honest feedback is needed. TY in advance

Hm, "21 downloads"? I've done a search but I don't see a new version, only one from 4 years ago. As for the message you received I find that sad but not entirely surprising as I know of one person who talks down to people - frequently - and is down right rude around here and has been called out on it, but continues to do so. I've bitten my tongue so far, but not sure I can continue to do so, so I understand that persons feelings. We can all agree to disagree on things, but being condescending shouldn't be tolerated.

Hm, "21 downloads"? I've done a search but I don't see a new version, only one from 4 years ago. As for the message you received I find that sad but not entirely surprising as I know of one person who talks down to people - frequently - and is down right rude around here and has been called out on it, but continues to do so. I've bitten my tongue so far, but not sure I can continue to do so, so I understand that persons feelings. We can all agree to disagree on things, but being condescending shouldn't be tolerated.
The mediafire link is at the bottom of the originating post

What a clever idea, - how did I miss this. Could be just the thing for parts of my layout that are open to the North Sea.

I don't know if it's because I'm still running TRS19 SP3, but my test train was brought to a sudden stand for a couple of seconds when it reached the triggering trackmark before the weather effect kicked in.

I just uploaded version 6 of the Regional Weather (rule). New version has been updated by G.M. to operate in later versions of Trainz. Keep your old one if it still works. Information is in this thread and in a help file in the cdp.

Enjoy

Great GM. I think I remember this one. Never tried it because back then I wasn't into weather. Now, with some of my bigger maps, this does sound very interesting. I'll give it a try.

Chili

Works pretty good. I set up 3 TM's at Grand Blanc

o East bound, cloudy, periodic
o GB Passenger Station, rain, periodic
o West bound, cloudy, periodic

Works great.

There is an issue with the Weather Menu however. When editing a session for the first time, it doesn't show up even though I've already configured it. I'm able to repeatedly have the menu available by opening Edit Session and x'ing out (not the check mark, but X). The session goes to a different environment setting (i.e., different time of day) and the Regional Weather Menu is available from the pull-down. Once it's available, it is always available while editing the session.

Chili

Last edited:
Glad you have it working Chili
yes, takes a little time before things are saved in route (F2 will probably not work)
here I have it available in Surveyor and Driver to change things later

All credits to pitkin, besides being a great guy, he has super good ideas
more will follow in 2022 :)
have a good Xmas

Back